Windows 10: Possible to search for duplicate titles that have different extensions

Discus and support Possible to search for duplicate titles that have different extensions in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I have several folders with lots of ebooks in them. I have some that are pdf and some that are epub. I need to search for those that have BOTH... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by MacsMom, Dec 3, 2016.

1. MacsMom Win User

Possible to search for duplicate titles that have different extensions

I have several folders with lots of ebooks in them. I have some that are pdf and some that are epub. I need to search for those that have BOTH extensions not one or the other. I can't just find them visually, because both types of files have the same title and the same thumbnail image.

Right now, in only one folder, there are maybe 50 out of 600 that are duplicates, so browsing individually is not something I particularly want to do. Later, when adding new files, I'll be able to just search for the title, regardless of extension, and that will be done. For now, I hope to be able to search for unknown titles that have more than one extension.

Hope this makes sense and someone has a suggestion. OH, and if it could be dumbed down that would be great. I'm fairly good getting around a computer, as long as it's nothing too fancy.

:)

MacsMom, Dec 3, 2016
  2. BJ 368 Win User

After I upgraded to Win 10, I had duplicate files in the docx format and they seem to have an added extension for example FILE NAME -F708CP05

After I upgraded to Win 10 I noticed that I had duplicate files in the docx format and they seem to have an added extension for example FILE NAME -F708CP05. What is purpose of the duplicated file?

Original title: Upgrading to Win 10 from Win 7

BJ 368, Dec 3, 2016
  3. copying of files with same name

Hi, Sharooque.

Thank you for posting your response in Microsoft Community.

I understand your concern, and we in Community will try to help you in the best possible way we can.

I suggest that you check file extensions of the folder or files. At times when files are stored in different location on the computer they will tend to create duplicates.

On the folder or drive that you suspect contains duplicates follow the steps below to check file extensions:

1. Go to the folder or drive.

2. Click on the "View" tab that is located on the top of the Window.

3. Then locate and check the box "File Name Extensions".

4. Right click on the duplicate files if they share the same date delete the files or folders.

Your reply is very important for us to ensure a proper resolution.

Vanessa Sohtun, Dec 3, 2016
  4. Samuria Win User

Welcome to the forum. You can get free software that will find duplicate even with different names you can find files using good old DoS by typing in the folder at a CMD prompt dir cakes.* That finds all cakes with any extension * means anything so cakes*.* Would find cakes for Xmas.pdf etc

Samuria, Dec 3, 2016
  5. Kari Win User
    In File Explorer search you can search both extensions separating them with a logical operator OR. Typing following search criteria would search and show all files with extension .pdf or extension .epub (search parameter ext:XXX without a logical operator would search for files with extension XXX):

Code: extPossible to search for duplicate titles that have different extensions :pdf OR ext:epub[/quote]

Possible to search for duplicate titles that have different extensions [​IMG]

(Click to enlarge.)

Notice that logical operators (AND, OR, NOT) must be typed in uppercase.

You can also combine logical operators. Following search in File Explorer would search and show all files with extension .pdf or extension .epub excluding those files saved this year:

Code: extPossible to search for duplicate titles that have different extensions :pdf OR ext:epub NOT date:this year[/quote]
    Following search in File Explorer would search and show all files with extension .pdf or extension .epub with string Tom appearing in file name (Tom Sawyer.pdf, Tales of Tom Sawyer.epub and so on):

Code: extPossible to search for duplicate titles that have different extensions :pdf OR ext:epub AND name:Tom[/quote]
    Everything in this tutorial at our sister site Seven Forums applies to File Explorer search in Windows 10: Search - Find More with Filters and Operators - Windows 7 Help Forums

Kari, Dec 3, 2016
  6. MacsMom Win User
    Thanks!

I'll try searching for the free software, but for the limited time I would need it I will leave that a bit. If I knew any part of the title, I wouldn't be asking the question. Once I've done this initial cleanup, that will certainly be the method I would use, because by then it will only be one or two added and I will KNOW which I've added.

This problem is because I discovered the means to have epubs show with thumbnails, so I now have no clue which is pdf and which is epub.

MacsMom, Dec 3, 2016
  7. MacsMom Win User
    Thanks @Kari for answering!

Hmm, none of those work, and I'm thinking what I want is not possible. I'd already found all those suggestions, and they didn't do what I need.

I hope to find titles that have both extensions, without knowing what the titles are. Searching for both extensions doesn't help, there are only 2 possible extensions. If I find epubs, that doesn't tell me which has a pdf duplicate. Once the initial clean up is done, this method will surely be what I will need, because when adding one or two, I will know the titles to remove the duplicates.

Perhaps if the search results would simply highlight the targets, I could see if the file beside it has the same title. Still more work than I'd like, but more doable.

MacsMom, Dec 3, 2016
  8. Kari Win User

My previous post answered the question you asked in your original post, about how to search files with multiple extensions.

If you instead of that only want an alphabetical list and see if a title is present with both PDF and EPUB extensions, then simply set View preference to details, sort the folder by name, and show file extensions:

Possible to search for duplicate titles that have different extensions [​IMG]

(Click to enlarge.)
    Now your File Explorer will show an alphabetically sorted list. Browse the list to find duplicates.

Kari, Dec 3, 2016
  9. MacsMom Win User
    Hmm. From initial post:
    I will browse them if necessary. I had HOPED to find an easier/quicker alternative.

I must apologize, I thought that people would read further to see the exact nature of the question/problem. I didn't want too long of a question, and wasn't sure how to phrase my exact problem in just a few words. I'll know better next time.

MacsMom, Dec 3, 2016
  10. Kari Win User
    Your thread has a misleading title How to search for files with multiple extensions. Files in Windows can only have one extension, the part after the last dot like for instance file SomeEbook.doc.txt.pdf.epub has an extension epub because everything before the last dot is file name, not an extension. In this example case the file name is SomeEbook.doc.txt.pdf, its extension being .epub.

Hence, because it's impossible for a file in Windows to have two extensions it was an understandable and logical misunderstanding from my side to believe you meant to ask how to search files with same file name but different extensions, an extension PDF or EPUB.

I repeat: files in Windows 10 (or any other previous version) can only have one extension. Having a file with two different extensions is not possible.

I am extremely sorry I tried to help you. Will not happen again, that I can promise.

11. Berton Win User
    A problem I've run into in a similar situation is that a Command Prompt [or DOS window] uses only the text after the last period as the extension. I've seen a lot of files that had 2 or more periods in the file name not counting the extension. And it's not helpful when Windows, by default, hides Known extensions in File Explorer.

Berton, Dec 3, 2016
  12. Berton Win User
    Guess Kari is a faster typist. Or maybe it's the time zone difference?

Berton, Dec 3, 2016
  13. SonicBlue Win User

If you want to search just particular extentions then type in the search box (*.txt) or what ever extention you want and the search will show them all.

SonicBlue, Dec 3, 2016
  14. MacsMom Win User
    Wow. I really didn't think I was that bad at explaining a problem. Let me try this again, for anyone else willing to give this a try, with a bit more details that might help clarify.

I have a folder with approx. 600 PDF files. I recently did a cut and paste of 50 - 100 EPUB copies of the ebooks into the folder that previously only had PDFs. Sorting them alphabetically and finding duplicates is possible, but if I can find a less time-consuming way, I would prefer it. Not all the EPUB have a PDF duplicate, or I expect this would be easier.

I don't know the titles. All I have to go on for a search is that the titles will have one with PDF extension and one with EPUB extension. So searching for: extension:epub OR extensionPossible to search for duplicate titles that have different extensions :pdf will understandably return results of every single file, while AND shows no results.

I had hoped someone knew of a way to search for these duplicates without knowing the title, only that they had a different extension. What would be great (other than only duplicates showing up) would be if search would only highlight the results without removing the rest (example, if there are only 3 titles to match search, they are highlighted AND the other titles remain visible without being highlighted).

If it's not possible, all well and good, I just wanted to ask.

MacsMom, Dec 3, 2016
  15. Berton Win User
    The file management system is not all that complicated if certain rules are followed [goes way back into the days of DOS]. A third-party solution is a duplicate finder, can search and list by Name, Extension or just by content which the content method may be the best for the situation. I usually have to use only the content with music files I've downloaded.

Berton, Dec 3, 2016
Thema:

1. Possible to search for duplicate titles that have different extensions - Similar Threads - Possible search duplicate

2. Is it possible to have different desktops on different computers?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Is it possible to have different desktops on different computers?: I have one desktop that I use for games and heavier programs like fusion 360 as well as a laptop used for tuning my car and school. They both are signed into the same windows account and would like them to have different desktops. When I make a change on my laptop like...
  3. Is it possible to have different desktops on different computers?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Is it possible to have different desktops on different computers?: I have one desktop that I use for games and heavier programs like fusion 360 as well as a laptop used for tuning my car and school. They both are signed into the same windows account and would like them to have different desktops. When I make a change on my laptop like...
  4. Is it possible to have different desktops on different computers?

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. Difference between 2 files that have the same extension

in Windows 10 Support
    Difference between 2 files that have the same extension: Hi 1st time here, I have a situation where files are being written to a folder with the same file extension (.art) and they can be either a csv type or a PDF and I want to copy the csv files only to another folder to be FTP to a site. I have been looking at Powershell as I...
  6. Search box title

Search box title: Is there actually a way to rename the search box title in the taskbar? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/search-box-title/123e59fb-1fbf-4544-97f3-f4c96b438bed
  7. optinum search extension

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    optinum search extension: WIN 7 ive tried every suggestion ive found to detach or eliminate this extension. caNNOT GET RID OF IT.... is there a MS patch ????????????? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/all/optinum-search-extension/70d8b58a-1163-4381-a4fa-d9a9e3ae6e0c
  8. Is it possible to have different cursor settings for different input peripherals?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Is it possible to have different cursor settings for different input peripherals?: II started to play League of Legends and there seems to be general consensus that for better gaming "Enhance pointer precision" should be turned off, but I own a notebook and it's not comfortable at all to use my touchpad this way. Can I set my touchpad and my mouse to behave...
  9. Duplicate updates, Is that possible?????????????

Duplicate updates, Is that possible?????????????: Screw your warnings about Microsoft community forum!! If you are giving warnings to be aware about your Forum, Then you need to put a stop to that forum now!! (I THOUGHT WE WERE ALL ABOUT SAFETY, AM I WRONG)????? What I need to know is from an actual Microsoft or Windows...
  10. Screen extension/duplication not working

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    Screen extension/duplication not working: Hello I have a Asus desktop, Intel 3.7ghz and HD 4400 graphics running Windows 10 family. I have just hooked up an HD TV to the HDMI port. When I use Win+p the sidebar menu comes up and allows me to select duplication, extension etc. but nothing happens!!?? The option I...