Windows 10: Possible to select specific updates from "Windows Updates" ?

Discus and support Possible to select specific updates from "Windows Updates" ? in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Hello, I have several Windows Updates including the Windows 10 1803 which is very slow and ends up with an error message that the 1803 update failed.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by albert1, Jul 14, 2018.

1. albert1 Win User

Possible to select specific updates from "Windows Updates" ?

Hello,

I have several Windows Updates including the Windows 10 1803 which is very slow and ends up with an error message that the 1803 update failed.

After some searching I found there are alternative methods to install the 1803 update which basically removes some Windows 10 features. (Uncertain of any improved changes.)

I'm not certain but think the problem is with our local communication with and around our zip code including Internet, store credit card services and other communications. Our Internet was out nearly 48 hours and finally got back online. However I'm not certain if it's behaving as it should, accessing sites and searching is sometimes unusually slow. Also it's possible Microsoft servers may have become burdened and slower than normal.

I currently have windows update disabled and going to put off installing the Windows 10's 1803 update which I may do from by downloading this file.

http://download.windowsupdate.com/c/...3333e030f8.msu

If windows update retry is selected Windows Update immediately attempts to download the 1803 update while listing the other updates as "pending".

So unless there's a method to download and install specific updates then I'll most likely first install the 1803 update from an iso or exe file then resume downloading and installing the other Windows Updates that were previously pending.

Apparently Windows Update no longer has a "Cancel" option and other options to choose which updates one wants to install? I'm not certain if MS chose to remove Windows Update Options or if they're hidden somewhere?

:)

albert1, Jul 14, 2018
  2. AsRock Win User

Windows Updates failed to instal

I'm not sure how differant XP media center Edition is but you could clear the history \ cache if these folders are there.

Step 1 Register DLL files.

=================

By trying this step, we can check if the update engines are working properly.

1. Close all instances of Internet Explorer.

2. Click Start and Run, type "Regsvr32 atl.dll" (without quotes) in the Open box and click OK.

Note: There is a space between regsvr32 and atl.dll

3. Similarly, one by one, register the files listed below:

Regsvr32 msxml3.dll

Regsvr32 wuapi.dll

Regsvr32 wuaueng.dll

Regsvr32 wuaueng1.dll

Regsvr32 wups2.dll

Regsvr32 wucltui.dll

Regsvr32 wups.dll

Regsvr32 wuweb.dll

Regsvr32 qmgr.dll

Regsvr32 qmgrprxy.dll

Regsvr32 jscript.dll

Note: If you encounter errors while registering any of these files then skip that file and continue with the next one.

If the issue persists, let's move on to the steps below to verify Windows Update services and temporary folders.

Step 2 Verify the relevant Windows Update services.

=========================================

1. Click Start->Run, type "services.msc" (without quotation marks) in the open box and click OK.

2. Double click the service "Automatic Updates".

3. Click on the Log On tab, please ensure the option "Local System account" is selected and the option "Allow service to interact with desktop" is unchecked.

4. Check if this service has been enabled on the listed Hardware Profile. If not, please click the Enable button to enable it.

5. Click on the tab "General "; make sure the "Startup Type" is "Automatic" or "Manual". Then please click the button "Stop" under "Service Status" to stop the service.

6. Then please click the button "Start" under "Service Status" to start the service.

7. Please repeat the above steps with the other services:

Background Intelligent Transfer Service

Event Log

Remote Procedure Call (RPC)

Note: Event log service is enabled on all of the hardware profiles; this service does not have an option to enable or disable on certain hardware profile.

If it still does not help, let's proceed to step 3.

Step 3 Reload the Update temporary folders.

===================================

One possible cause is that the temporary folder for Windows Update is containing corrupted files. Let's erase all the files there to get the system clean.

1. Click Start, Run, type: cmd and press Enter. Please run the following command in the opened window.

Net stop WuAuServ

2. Click Start, Run, type: %windir% and press Enter.

3. In the opened folder, rename the folder SoftwareDistribution to Sdold.

4. Click Start, Run, type: cmd and press Enter. Please run the following command in the opened window.

Net start WuAuServ

Please test the Windows Update website and let me know the result. If the issue persists, to clarify the issue and provide more accurate troubleshooting steps, please assist me in collecting the following information.

AsRock, Jul 14, 2018
  3. jbailey8 Win User
    HyperSLI (Enabling SLI on non-sli motherboards)

To turn off windows updates in windows 7 follow these steps:

Click the start button, in the search box type in 'windows updates', click on 'windows update'
    in the search results list, in the left side of the windows update window click 'change settings'
    then in the option bar select 'Never check for updates'.

jbailey8, Jul 14, 2018
  4. Ahhzz Win User

[Windows 10] hide/prohibit install of specific Windows Update

I have never intentionally used windows to provide my device drivers (except for older printers without Vendor drivers for clients). I only manually update from the vendor websites. Will just have to make a list of things to disable/remove if I finally decide to load it up on a machine.

Ahhzz, Jul 14, 2018
Thema:

1. Possible to select specific updates from "Windows Updates" ? - Similar Threads - Possible select specific

2. Windows Updates from WSUS, Feature Updates From WU, possible ??

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows Updates from WSUS, Feature Updates From WU, possible ??: Is it possible to keep receiving all Windows Updates cumulative, office, etc. from my WSUS and use Intune to control features Updates?If yes, what should be my configuration ?...
  3. Is it possible to download selected windows updates on servers and workstations?

Is it possible to download selected windows updates on servers and workstations?: Hello,I have a question about the Windows update on servers and workstations. We have multiple clients who use SCADA systems that eventually run on windows regulars OS and server OS. My question is, is it possible to download a selection of updates, put them onto a cloud...
  4. How to select only specific updated from the list of all required updates?

How to select only specific updated from the list of all required updates?: How to select only specific updated from the list of all required updates? I'm running Windows 10 build 1909, and one of the updates listed is to upgrade to Windows 10, version 20H2 along with other security updates to OS build 1909. This update version 20H2 caused serious...
  5. How to stop windows from installing a specific update?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How to stop windows from installing a specific update?: I noticed that this particular update keeps causing certain games to crash whenever I play them. It gets fixed whenever I uninstall the update. How do I stop windows from trying to install the update? submitted by /u/Alphium [link] [comments]...
  6. Specific screen flickering problem, possibly after a Windows update

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Specific screen flickering problem, possibly after a Windows update: HI All, I have a 2 monitor setup, running on a Vega 64 Windows 10 Home The 2 monitors have been running fine fine weeks, then suddenly yesterday I get a very strange flickering problem on one of them. I haven't updated any drivers and I ignored the latest AMD driver. I...
  7. Specific Windows Update Schedule

Specific Windows Update Schedule: I am just curious to know if Microsoft has a set schedule each month to roll out updates for the OS. I know that the second tuesday of each month is typcally for security updates, but are there any other specific days for other types of updates?...
  8. O&O Syspectr makes selective updates possible again

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    O&O Syspectr makes selective updates possible again: I just discovered this software which makes selective updates possible again. It seems like it's free as long as you don't want to manage more than 5 PCs. I'm currently trying it and so far it seems to work as it should. The software also comes with various possibilities to...
  9. Update Selection

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Update Selection: I've read through quit a few of the auto update complaints/ problems. Some of the resolutions I understood some I didn't or I didn't understand their realivants. So, I assumed they wouldn't fit my needs. I'm ok with the auto update with the exception of certain device driver...
  10. Disable a specific update or all updates for specific software

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Disable a specific update or all updates for specific software: I have been regularly receiving an update titled "Hewlett-Packard - Imaging - Null Print - HP Deskjet 3510 series" that is for my printer. After attempting the update it always displays Error 0x8024200b. I do not need this update, and would like it to disappear forever, but...