Windows 10: Possible to share a Library w/o homegroup?

Discus and support Possible to share a Library w/o homegroup? in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Finally found a use for a library. Can create it locally, but there's no share context. Can not use homegroup. Is shared/public library even possible?... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by dianedebuda, Oct 2, 2015.

1. Possible to share a Library w/o homegroup?

Finally found a use for a library. Can create it locally, but there's no share context. Can not use homegroup. Is shared/public library even possible?

:)

dianedebuda, Oct 2, 2015
  2. cooperua Win User

E51 WiFi internet sharing via bluetooth

I have E51 with established wifi conection to internet. Is it possible to share this internet connection with PDA (w/o wifi) via bluetooth ?

cooperua, Oct 2, 2015
  3. erga---01 Win User
    Can't logon to ovi Share anymore

I have 200. series SW in my E71 and share online works w/o any problems.

Did you use the service frequently before SW upgrade? I assume you can access it w/o problems with PC?

erga---01, Oct 2, 2015
  4. Possible to share a Library w/o homegroup?

Yes. Library's are for local use. i.e. create a new library called my temp, make it watch the c:\temp folder. From your workstation you could then click the library my temp and it will show you all of the files in the c:\temp folder.

Now for other users\workstations to see the contents of your library, you will need to "SHARE" the c:\temp folder, and you can use a share name as "my temp" or any other name, and I would not use spaces as they can sometimes lead to other issues. This is the way I would do it.

Hope it helps.

play2mefish, Oct 2, 2015
  5. Maybe I'm missing something here. I can share "temp", but that's a folder, not a library.

Additionally, in my case, I have 5 drives with 2 folders each as contents of the library. I actually want all the files presented in alpha order, no matter where they're physically located. I'm not seeing this. Have I misunderstood "library"?

dianedebuda, Oct 2, 2015
  6. Ztruker Win User
    Ztruker, Oct 2, 2015
  7. Berton Win User
    I'd wonder if it would be easier to share the actual Folders located in C:\Users\LOGGED-ON-USER\. I've always considered Libraries to be shortcuts to the actual locations.

Berton, Oct 2, 2015
  8. Possible to share a Library w/o homegroup?

What Berton said, A Library is nothing more than a shortcut to a windows folder. Then share the folder.

play2mefish, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Possible to share a Library w/o homegroup?

1. Possible to share a Library w/o homegroup? - Similar Threads - Possible share Library

2. Sharing a folder anyone on network can connect to w/o authorization

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Sharing a folder anyone on network can connect to w/o authorization: Hello, I'm trying to share a folder that has to be available to the entire network. No passwords, no authorization. When you navigate to the folder on the network it HAS to allow you access if you're on the local network. Often when I share folders windows decides a username...
  3. Sharing, homegroups, scanning

Sharing, homegroups, scanning: I'm in my small office where my friend shares space with me; we share internet services also. I'm trying to set a network folder for scanned documents and I'm guessing I need a homegroup so I can share files & media with the other computer. I don't want to share with the...
  4. Sharing Issues w/o HomeGroup...

Sharing Issues w/o HomeGroup...: Ever since the beginning of this year when MS removed the HomeGroup function, I've had a terrible time with file sharing on my home network. I am running one central Win10 desktop with two Win10 laptops in a home wifi environment that is stable and fast. All machines are...
  5. homegroup sharing

homegroup sharing: I have a new laptop with windows 10 Pro. I have an older home pc with windows 10 home. I set up homegroup on the laptop and received the homegroup code but do not see where to enter that share code on the home pc. I just want to have access to pictures on both. I setup...
  6. Lost network/homegroup sharing

Lost network/homegroup sharing: I see the following error on both my HTPC and my desktop PC. Both running Win 10 pro 64 bit. I reinstalled the intel driver on bot machines but that did not work. I power cycled the cable modem and routher, that didn't work either. I tried the winsock series on CMDs...
  7. Personal Folders & Libraries Missing in Homegroup

Personal Folders & Libraries Missing in Homegroup: I can never catch a break with this feature of Windows, seriously... Example of the "Personal" folders/libraries I am talking about (NOT from my computer): [img] My computer (only "Shared" folders/libraries show up): [img] Does anyone know how to fix this?...
  8. Sharing using Homegroup

Sharing using Homegroup: Hi, I wonder if anyone can help me with this strange behaviour please? I am trying to share some folders from my laptop to my TV (Sony Bravia kdl-46EX700). The TV is connected to the network via a wire whilst the laptop is wifi. Selecting or deselecting Share with...
  9. Homegroup Printer sharing woes

Homegroup Printer sharing woes: I have a bunch of pcs, (1 laptop, 2 desktops) at home all running windows 10. They were happily sharing printers over a homegroup I had set up on computer A my biggest machine. Now none can print over the network. My printer had vanished form devices but I have got...
  10. Possible to wake PC w/o Magic Packet...w/o unwanted wakes?

in Windows 10 Support
    Possible to wake PC w/o Magic Packet...w/o unwanted wakes?: Setting up a Win 10 PC for shares, videos, which will be used lightly. I would like to have it sleep, and not have to do a separate operation to wake it with a magic packet before accessing. Is this possible? Any suggestions appreciated. 37517