Windows 10: Possible upgrade problem because of location of System Reserved part?

Discus and support Possible upgrade problem because of location of System Reserved part? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I want to to an 'upgrade' from Win 7 to Win 10, but I messed up when installing Win 7 - my "system reserved" partition ended up on a non-system drive... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by nhbeachguy, Feb 19, 2016.

1. Possible upgrade problem because of location of System Reserved part?

I want to to an 'upgrade' from Win 7 to Win 10, but I messed up when installing Win 7 - my "system reserved" partition ended up on a non-system drive (see attached). I don't want to carry over this mistake to Win 10... (plus the Win 10 upgrade says to disconnect all non-system disks -- something I guess I should have done when installing Win 7)

What is the best way to resolve this? Can I fix this in Win 7 then upgrade? If so, how?

Thanks,
    \Dave

:)

nhbeachguy, Feb 19, 2016

2. Update of Win 10

I upgraded from 7 to 10 in July 2016 with no problems until I tried to update from build 1511 to 1607. The update won"t install because it can"t update the system reserve partition. I've tried using disk mgmt to enlarge the partition but it seems there
    is no system reserve partition on the C drive.

I'd like to have the new update if possible. Could you suggest a workaround this problem?

Thanks,

John

JohnSandilands, Feb 19, 2016
  3. System crash because of kernel problem

I did what you said in your first reply, I've updated firmware, network and display drivers. Hope this solves my problem.

Thanks for your help !

LjubisaStevanovic1, Feb 19, 2016
  4. philc43 Win User

Possible upgrade problem because of location of System Reserved part?

Hello,

Yes it would be worth making changes before you upgrade. The System Reserved partition holds the Boot Manager code and the Boot Configuration Database so if you delete it you won't be able to boot. The following tutorial from the seven forums shows the correct way to delete it and then carry out a startup repair to ensure your system will be able to boot afterwards by adding a new boot loader and BCD to the Windows partition. Make sure you have the necessary W7 installation disk or system repair disk. Obviously you will have to adapt the instructions to match your disk structure and location of your System Reserved partition.

Windows 7: System Reserved Partition - Delete

philc43, Feb 19, 2016
  5. NavyLCDR New Member
    This is what I would do, you'll need a blank DVD or USB flash drive (8 gb):

1. Make a bootable USB/DVD of Kyhi's recovery tools:
    Windows 10 Recovery Tools - Bootable Rescue Disk - Windows 10 Forums

2. Boot from it. Use MiniTool Partition Wizard to copy the system reserved partition on Disk 1 to the unallocated space at the end of Disk 2. Make sure that the new location for the System Reserved partition on Disk 2 gets marked as active. Make sure you actually click the apply button.

3. Shutdown. Disconnect disks 0 and 1. While I was at it, I would move Disk 2 to the first SATA port on the motherboard so that it becomes Disk 0. Restart the computer with only the hard drive containing Windows and the new System Reserved partition.

4. Once booted into Windows, attempt to run the upgrade to Windows 10. If it fails it is likely the System Reserved partition is too small.

5. If it fails, reboot into Kyhi's recovery disc, shrink C: drive partition by 100 MB not GB!. Add the 100 MB to the system reserved partition, click apply.

6. Reboot and try the upgrade again.

An alternative:

Do steps 1 and 3 first except you will probably get an error when you try to boot the computer. Boot Kyhi's recovery disc and run Macrium Reflect Free. Select the fix Windows startup utility under the restore menu to restore booting. Then reboot and try the upgrade.

NavyLCDR, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Possible upgrade problem because of location of System Reserved part?

1. Possible upgrade problem because of location of System Reserved part? - Similar Threads - Possible upgrade problem

2. Core Isolation not possible because driver cannot be located

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Core Isolation not possible because driver cannot be located: I've been having trouble enabling core isolation on my pc because of the xusb.sys driver. I've attempted removing multiple drivers but windows security still detects it.I followed this guide: and could get neither method to work, I can't seem to find the actual driver to...
  3. Core Isolation not possible because driver cannot be located

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Core Isolation not possible because driver cannot be located: I've been having trouble enabling core isolation on my pc because of the xusb.sys driver. I've attempted removing multiple drivers but windows security still detects it.I followed this guide: and could get neither method to work, I can't seem to find the actual driver to...
  4. Cannot locate system reserved partition in disk management

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Cannot locate system reserved partition in disk management: I tried installing windows 11 from an iso file and it said " we couldn't update system reserved partition". So I went to Disk Management and I can't locate the system reserved partition :Where can I find my system reserved partition?...
  5. Cannot locate system reserved partition in disk management

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cannot locate system reserved partition in disk management: I tried installing windows 11 from an iso file and it said " we couldn't update system reserved partition". So I went to Disk Management and I can't locate the system reserved partition :Where can I find my system reserved partition?...
  6. Cannot locate system reserved partition in disk management

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. Is it possible to migrate System Reserved partition to another drive?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Is it possible to migrate System Reserved partition to another drive?: So my issue is that Windows 10 won't boot unless I have a secondary drive connected to my PC, which has the System Reserved partition for some reason. Windows is on my C drive, the G drive has this partition that's needed. Apparently this happens if you install Windows 10 and...
  8. Can't update Windows because of System Reserved Partition.

Can't update Windows because of System Reserved Partition.: Everytime I try to update my windows it says that I was unable to update system reserved partition. I even tried to manually update it and that didn't work....
  9. System files in reserved space problem

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    System files in reserved space problem: Hello, I've got a serious problem with my windows system files which are in reserved space. I can't clean it up in any way, I've tried all solutions I'd found on the Internet like cleaning up disk, optimising, defragmenting, and using windows tools to free up all caches and...
  10. Need to move/fix location of System Reserved partition

Need to move/fix location of System Reserved partition: I am trying to make space on an empty partition as a temp backup before I install a fresh copy of 8.1 to upgrade to 10. I'm using Mini Tools Partition Wizard 9 Free Edition. What I have looking at the partitions are, a C partition (700 gigs capacity), then a System...