Windows 10: Possibly the question that is too stupid to ask

Discus and support Possibly the question that is too stupid to ask in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I am trying to use VMware's Vcenter to virtualize my production system which is on the same machine. To begin the process it asks for hostname or IP... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by streetwolf, Aug 14, 2015.

1. Possibly the question that is too stupid to ask

I am trying to use VMware's Vcenter to virtualize my production system which is on the same machine. To begin the process it asks for hostname or IP address, user name, and password for my real machine. Unless vVcenter is broken no matter what I put in there is always an error that the user name or password is incorrect.

I use a Microsoft account to login to Windows 10 which is my email address. I assume the password Vcenter is asking for is the one I use when I log in to Windows 10. Is my username this email address or the name in my user settings? I see about 3 names that can be a user name and tried all of them without success.

I must be missing something very basic. Any help would be appreciated.

:)

streetwolf, Aug 14, 2015
  2. illinjah Win User

5800 - possibly stupid question about automated call centres

There are no stupid questions, just stupid answers... Possibly the question that is too stupid to ask :)

As soon as the call is connected you can press "dialler" on the bottom right corner of your phone in order to get the keypad displayed again!

Let us know if this worked out for you. Possibly the question that is too stupid to ask :)

illinjah, Aug 14, 2015
  3. emmavine Win User
    5800 - possibly stupid question about automated call centres

Hi,

There is possibly an obvious answer to this, but when you call a number that is answered by an automated centre, how do you press one (or whatever). I can't get around this, does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks

emmavine, Aug 14, 2015
  4. WhyMe Win User

Possibly the question that is too stupid to ask

I don't use Vcenter but according to what I've just read, I believe you should be using a Vcenter specific password. I **think** you either need to use your existing Vcenter account credentials during install or create a new one.

I only looked at a couple of things briefly via google and that is the impression I got.

WhyMe, Aug 14, 2015
  5. IDK about that. It is asking me for this info on my Physical Machine. I suppose it needs to login into it just as you would login to a computer on a LAN which btw I also never gotten this to work under any Windows. Guess I don't understand the parameters needed.

streetwolf, Aug 14, 2015
  6. WhyMe Win User
    WhyMe, Aug 14, 2015
  7. I don't think that's for me. Actually I have what's called the standalone version of Vcenter which is used in conjunction with VMware workstation to virtualize a running machine.

Let's assume it's looking for stuff to log onto my physical machine. I thought I entered it right but maybe not. As I said I am using my MS account not a local one. How would someone on my home LAN log into me? I assume that's exactly what Vcenter wants to do.

streetwolf, Aug 14, 2015
  8. TheZeeMan Win User

I'm guessing you are running converter to convert your system to a virtual image as vCenter is actually a business cloud management system. *Smile Anyhow, it typically wants a local account (your MS account is not really local) so if you create a local account, use computer name\local account and the password and it should work. Make sure the local account has local admin rights or it won't work. It has to verify it can connect to c$.

TheZeeMan, Aug 17, 2015
  9. Thanks. Will give it a try.

streetwolf, Aug 17, 2015
  10. satchmo Win User
    The only stupid thing to do is not to ask.

Besides, that's not a straightforward situation at all.

satchmo, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Possibly the question that is too stupid to ask - Similar Threads - Possibly question too

2. A stupid display question..

in Windows 10 Gaming
    A stupid display question..: Hello guys! I'm Alex from italy. I just can't figure out how can I switch between my two monitor. I try to explain better. My second monitor is a TV connected with hdmi cable, sometimes I need to see the second desktop while the normal TV is running without switching the...
  3. A stupid display question..

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    A stupid display question..: Hello guys! I'm Alex from italy. I just can't figure out how can I switch between my two monitor. I try to explain better. My second monitor is a TV connected with hdmi cable, sometimes I need to see the second desktop while the normal TV is running without switching the...
  4. A stupid display question..

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. Stupid question

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Stupid question: I just bought a new laptop, and I want to change the lock screen to a picture from a file. I did everything you're supposed to do, but I can't find an 'ok' button, or 'save changes' button, or whatever. How do I get my changes to stick?...
  6. Sorry if this is a stupid question

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Sorry if this is a stupid question: submitted by /u/spinelazuli [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/j4xsfu/sorry_if_this_is_a_stupid_question/
  7. Probably a stupid question, but is it possible to turn the lights on the pc case off, but...

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Probably a stupid question, but is it possible to turn the lights on the pc case off, but...: Title. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/probably-a-stupid-question-but-is-it-possible-to/bc573b23-37b9-4f17-b0cc-84862fc32198
  8. This might be a stupid question

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    This might be a stupid question: Does factory resetting a laptop also factory reset my pc? Windows 10 is tied to my email which is used for both laptop and pc with synced settings turn on submitted by /u/pogbxxx [link] [comments]...
  9. Possibly stupid question - Build 1709 as Windows Update. If yes when ?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Possibly stupid question - Build 1709 as Windows Update. If yes when ?: The question it's on the title.... i see about three weeks ago the build 1709 it's been released.... At today i see i have the1703 installed and the question it's... when this 1709 it's been pushed to windows update ? Someone has already received this update ? It's some...
  10. Windows stupid... have questions

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows stupid... have questions: I rarely use Windows, but need it sometimes to help my children with their computer problems/needs. I have an HP dm4-3050us laptop that came with windows 7 Home. I have done the upgrade to Windows 10 and everything is working all right. The computer is dual booted with Linux...