Windows 10: Post CU Startup fails but Restart OK

Discus and support Post CU Startup fails but Restart OK in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Post CU, when I switch on PC (after shut down) the start up process appears to complete succesfully except when I try to launch my browser I get Error... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by MikeA13, Jul 30, 2017.

1. MikeA13 Win User

Post CU Startup fails but Restart OK

Post CU, when I switch on PC (after shut down) the start up process appears to complete succesfully except when I try to launch my browser I get Error window 'Server not found'. A few fix suggestions plus 'Try again' all fail.
    However if I now Restart (via Start_ Power) the PC launches corectly.
    Close examination has found one difference between Start and Re-start screens . During Start the 'Microsoft Mouse and Keyboard Centre' message does not appear on screen for a few seconds; where as this messge does appear following Restart.
    I can't see any obvious link to the problem but is it just masking another problem (possibly faulty CU installation?
    Any suggetions (including possibility of CU uninstall and re-install) would be welcome.

:)

MikeA13, Jul 30, 2017

2. Creators Update Stuck at 32%

After KB4023057 installed Friday, another attempt at installing CU failed. It did get past the 32% hurdle but stopped at 75% with a failed restart, leaving a black screen. It appears Windows does shutdown for the Restart but, the computer does not actually
    Restart. After a forced shutdown and turning it back on, it resumes and then hard stops at 82%. Another forced shutdown causes it to revert back to 1607.

RobertFarmer3, Jul 30, 2017
  3. OskiekSL Win User
    Menu start dont show after hibernation

Ok but menu start dont show only after hibernation. When i start pc from hibernation it dont show so i have to restart my pc and everything is ok, but restarting take some time.

I would like to dont lost that much time, cus my PC is old and it take some time to off and start.

OskiekSL, Jul 30, 2017
  4. Post CU Startup fails but Restart OK

Hi MikeA13. Welcome to the TenForums @MikeA13

For a test could you shut off hibernation which will disable Windows Fast Startup

Command prompt(admin) enter

powercfg -h off

Try shutting down and seeing if behaviour changes. To re-enable same command but swap off for on

Ken

Caledon Ken, Jul 30, 2017
  5. MikeA13 Win User
    Hi Ken,
    Thanks for your prompt response however I have not (so far) had success.
    Using cmd I acccessed command line which came up as c:\Users\(my name)>
    When I press Enter the above command line is repeated.
    I then copied/pasted your suggested command line and pressed Enter. This brought up error message ‘Unable to perform operation. Unexpected error’
    Thinking that Users/(my name) was not the 'admin' you referred to I tried entering my admistrators name. This brought up 'invalid command' message.
    I then stirred the old grey cells to get back to basic command prompt using cd\ . Haven't used that since my very early computing days way back in the BW era. (BW = Before Windows).
    Sadly all my efforts failed. So maybe my aged brain needs some additional basic instructions in how to achieve what you wrote.
    Finally I opened Control Panel / Power Options to check Hibernation setting. Its box was not checked.
    Regards,

MikeA13, Jul 31, 2017
  6. Hey Mike.

Right click on your windows start button, lower left corner. You should see one entry "command prompt(admin)". Click on it, enter command.

Ken

Caledon Ken, Jul 31, 2017
  7. MikeA13 Win User
    Hi Ken,
    Followed your instruction to Right Click Start Button.
    This produced vertical list (white characters on black background) of options starting with Apps at the top; down to Run, Shut Down or Sign Out, Desktop at the bottom.
    Sadly no 'command prompt (admin)'.
    Searched through the above entries on list. Still no command prompt found.
    Is there another way of disabling Windows fast Startup?

MikeA13, Jul 31, 2017
  8. dalchina New Member

Another way to launch a command prompt as admin:
    Windows key + S
    - a Cortana window should appear

Post CU Startup fails but Restart OK [​IMG]

type
    cmd
    as shown
    Rt click Command Prompt and click 'Run as admin'

Another way:

dalchina, Jul 31, 2017
  9. MikeA13 Win User
    Hi Dalchina,
    Thanks for your response.
    I dont use Cortana but tried your alternative suggestion.
    Same result as with Ken's. The prompt will not accept the command.

MikeA13, Jul 31, 2017
  10. dalchina New Member
    Hello, please confirm that, having launched the command prompt as admin as described above, that you are NOT seeing this:

- and if not, what exactly do you see?

Also note that if you have UAC on, and you are launching the command prompt as admin, you should get a UAC prompt asking you to confirm the action before the command prompt box appears.

dalchina, Jul 31, 2017
  11. MikeA13 Win User
    HI Galchina,
    Having launched command I DO NOT get the screen you depict.
    Instead I get the following: (myname hides my real name)

As I said in earlier post, adding the command as recommended by Ken brings the following error message;

Having read a number of articles on the web I am coming to the view that my problem lies with my Startup being the Fast version.
    Question now is how to replace that with the FULL startup.

MikeA13, Aug 1, 2017
  12. MikeA13 Win User
    Hi Galchina,
    Problem with second screen shot in earlier reply. It should have been;

Sorry,

MikeA13, Aug 1, 2017
  13. dalchina New Member

Hi, thanks, for whatever reason, your system is not allowing you to create an elevated (administrator) command prompt.

That is why the command is failing.

Noted only drivers for XP & Win 7 are available from Lenovo (link works although called 'Error'!)
    Error

Also your system has not been verified for Win 10
    Windows 10 Upgrade July 2015 / Version 1507 - Supported System List

This does not mean it won't run Win 10.. but there is no guarantee.

You can roll back to the anniversary build within 10 days of upgrading if you wish.
    Go Back to the Previous Version of Windows in Windows 10 Windows 10 Installation Upgrade Tutorials

dalchina, Aug 1, 2017
  14. MikeA13 Win User
    Hi,
    I don't know how to got the info about my PC but it is incorrect.
    My initial upgrade to W10 went without a hitch. Since then all W10 upgrades installed problem free.
    Similarly, CU upgrade seemed to go smoothly. Only later did I realise that the problem with failure to launch my browser was not to do with my equipment but linked to Startup following a previous Shut Down.
    I am rapidly coming to the conclusion that the problem lies with MS to interfere with basic PC settings when introducing upgrades.
    It is probably better for me to live with the problem.

Following CU has the command prompt(admin) been replaced by Windows Powershell(admin)?

Also reading web article about Fast Startup (The Pros and Cons of Windows 10 Mode ) which includes many of the the settings I have.

MikeA13, Aug 1, 2017
  15. dalchina New Member
    What info isn't correct? Your comment is not specific.

Your specs say Computer Type: PC/Desktop
    System Manufacturer/Model Number: Lenovo H330
    Are you talking about a different PC?

No, command prompt hasn't been replaced- yet- but Powershell, not Command Prompt is shown in the creator's build in a couple of places. Both exist in the Creator's build.

You can use familiar commands at a powershell prompt too, so you can try launching a powershell box as admin.

dalchina, Aug 1, 2017
Thema:

1. Post CU Startup fails but Restart OK - Similar Threads - Post Startup fails

2. BSOD and then no POST after restart

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    BSOD and then no POST after restart: Hi, hoping I can pick your guys brains on a troubling problem I had occur last nightSo I was gaming and suddenly without any stuttering or any other signs of issues my computer showed a BSOD. Usually id write down the code for the error but something weird had occurred here....
  3. BSOD and then no POST after restart

in Windows 10 Gaming
    BSOD and then no POST after restart: Hi, hoping I can pick your guys brains on a troubling problem I had occur last nightSo I was gaming and suddenly without any stuttering or any other signs of issues my computer showed a BSOD. Usually id write down the code for the error but something weird had occurred here....
  4. BSOD and then no POST after restart

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. KB4589212 intel microcode Cu failed install

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    KB4589212 intel microcode Cu failed install: I have a Ryzen 9 3900 cpu and this intel microcode has downloaded daily all thru March then failed too install. I did not request this update. I thought it might eventually figure itself in the wrong place and now today there is a successfully installed kb4589212 and the...
  6. GTA V/Online issues with every post-CU Insider build

in Windows 10 Gaming
    GTA V/Online issues with every post-CU Insider build: I've been having this issue in every Insider build post-Creators Update and I was hoping you guys could help me figure it out. In GTA, when I go into somewhere that requires a transition scene, like going into my apartment, bunker or yacht, GTA will occasionally hang. Even if...
  7. Ok to post Explorer.exe crash dumps here? It is not a BSOD

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Ok to post Explorer.exe crash dumps here? It is not a BSOD: Ok to post Explorer.exe crash dumps here? It is not a BSOD 101351
  8. Dual monitor setup - secondary monitor failing to post on startup

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    Dual monitor setup - secondary monitor failing to post on startup: Hi all, I have been running a dual monitor setup on a Windows 10 PC and ever since a windows update a few weeks ago I have been having the following issue.. When I boot up the PC initially I see the same display on both screens, all perfectly normal. However when I land...
  9. CU

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    CU: Anyway to go back to the CU? 95942
  10. No POST at startup

in Windows 10 Support
    No POST at startup: Hi, I am using an ASUS A540la ,with W10. At start I get no POST, just a blank screen, windows eventually loads and behaves normally, also if I try to access BIOS screen that also is blank and I have to restart to load windows. Does any one know a solution for this other...