Windows 10: Post MoBo Upgrade Windows Issues - Cannot Restart/Shutdown

Discus and support Post MoBo Upgrade Windows Issues - Cannot Restart/Shutdown in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Good evening everyone, Been a long time lurker of the 8 and 10 forums, was a member of the 7 forums back in the day. Anyway, I have me a fun little... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by CruciasNZ, Sep 30, 2016.

1. CruciasNZ Win User

Post MoBo Upgrade Windows Issues - Cannot Restart/Shutdown

Good evening everyone,

Been a long time lurker of the 8 and 10 forums, was a member of the 7 forums back in the day. Anyway, I have me a fun little problem that is making me lose hair and I am hopeful someone here can help.

I had a Gigabyte motherboard that died and was replaced under warranty. The replacement was a Z97-HD3 which was a slight upgrade on the one that I had before because they didn't have any replacements for my version. While I was awaiting replacement I had an Asus motherboard as a loan from the shop.

Once the new permanent board was installed I have had no end of issues with my Windows 10 PC:

• I am unable to shutdown or restart the PC, the blue spinning screen lasts ages, then the screen goes black but the fan and lights remain on
    • I am unable to install windows updates (suspect this is due to the above)
    • I cannot install new NVidea drivers as the installer hangs on "Installing Drivers"
    • Scanning for hardware changes in device manager is eternal

These are the things that I have tried:
    • SFC /Scannow
      • Returns a single issue of OpenCL.dll being corrupt (so basically a non-issue as this is normal)
    • Disabling the Intel MEI
    • Uninstalling the Intel MEI so that it will install the version it wants
    • Rebooting to Safe Mode
      • Curiously there are no issues in Safe Mode, though Windows Installer won't run so I cannot test the driver install
    • Booting to Ubuntu
      • Everything works normally
    • Manually updating the Intel MEI and Chipset Device Software
      • Former has no effect on driver, latter hangs
    • Run MalwareBytes in Safe Mode
    • Run Windows Defender
    • Run Spybot S&D
    • Run Intel Driver Utility program
      • Only identified the Chipset Device Software as being out of date

Based on all of the above I believe the core issue is I have some incorrect hardware drivers, but I have no idea how to identify which ones may be causing the problems. The only software change (bar game patches) that occurred between the old and new MoBo's was a windows update that installed something for the Asus motherboard.

While I can go the whole PC Reset route, I desperately do not want to.

Anyone got any ideas?

:)

CruciasNZ, Sep 30, 2016

2. Windows 10 latest update unable to shutdown PC

This isn't just an Asus issue; I have an MSI mobo. This is a Windows issue.

Start -> Power -> Shutdown -> Windows is shutting down screen -> black -> Lock

SlinkyBiest, Sep 30, 2016
  3. CoeJr Win User
    Windows 10 restart resumes from where I left.

I am so sorry that you are so out of touch and trying to answer questions as an EXPERT. Microsoft CHANGED the way Restart and Shutdown from the familiar menu selections to sign-out, hibernate, restart, or shutdown function. Many programs now have the ability (and
    by DEFAULT DO) resume after a RESTART or SHUTDOWN from where they left off. You can no longer count on a restart or shutdown to close a misbehaving (or MALWARE) application!!! The RESTART from the menu no longer closes all running programs. You, now, must
    use the command line SHUTDOWN /r /t 0 or use Alt+F4 from the desktop and use the dialog for Shutdown or Restart to close all running programs and NOT have them resume where they left off. It has nothing to do with any recent changes causing a corruption. The
    updating of Windows 10 to the latest version causes this new INTENDED behavior. The repair upgrade cannot fix the issue, since there is nothing wrong, it was a designed change in behavior. They just have not been OFFICIALLY forthcoming with admitting the
    change here.

CoeJr, Sep 30, 2016
Thema:

Post MoBo Upgrade Windows Issues - Cannot Restart/Shutdown

1. Post MoBo Upgrade Windows Issues - Cannot Restart/Shutdown - Similar Threads - Post MoBo Upgrade

2. Issue with MOBO

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Issue with MOBO: Hi, my pc for some reason idk stops giving video every other startup. i mean, i turned off and back on, red light on the MOBO directing to the video, turned off and back on again and it works. Feels so odd to do this every time, i'm scared to burn some components doing...
  3. Issue with MOBO

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Issue with MOBO: Hi, my pc for some reason idk stops giving video every other startup. i mean, i turned off and back on, red light on the MOBO directing to the video, turned off and back on again and it works. Feels so odd to do this every time, i'm scared to burn some components doing...
  4. Windoes 10 post-upgrade issues

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windoes 10 post-upgrade issues: hi!i had the hidden admin account enabled in my windows 7, but now that i upgraded to windows 10, i cant have access to it, even after activating the admin account feature with CMD.i know that the account exists because it requires me to use its password whatever i intend to...
  5. Windoes 10 post-upgrade issues

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windoes 10 post-upgrade issues: hi!i had the hidden admin account enabled in my windows 7, but now that i upgraded to windows 10, i cant have access to it, even after activating the admin account feature with CMD.i know that the account exists because it requires me to use its password whatever i intend to...
  6. Windoes 10 post-upgrade issues

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. Windows 10 shutdown/restart issue

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Windows 10 shutdown/restart issue: Since last week, my windows is not able to shutdown/restart/hibernate or sleep. Every time I select any of these options, the screen goes black and nothing happens. The keyboard still reacts.I updated to the Windows 10 version 1004 yesterday, still no change. I have also...
  8. restart and shutdown issue

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    restart and shutdown issue: laptop with high performance with ssd . its been some months im having high restart and shutdown issue 2-5 min . but low boot time . you can speak technically . running on latest version 2004 submitted by /u/levitation_lavender [link] [comments]...
  9. Any Windows initiated shutdown/restart results in failure to POST

in Windows 10 Support
    Any Windows initiated shutdown/restart results in failure to POST: I'm don't organize my thoughts well, so please bear with me. Issue began, I THINK, with a Windows update a few months ago. Any Windows initiated shutdown/restart results in failure to post with the exception of the shutdown option in the start menu. Restart results in...
  10. Windows 10 shutdown/restart issues

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 shutdown/restart issues: Hi everyone, I recently performed a clean Windows 10 install. (From upgraded Windows 10 system) Now, i am facing some shutdown/restart issues. I never had similar issues before even under the previous Windows 10 system. (Same hardware) When i perform a...