Windows 10: Post-upgrade, post-login - cannot do anything, mouse constantly busy

Discus and support Post-upgrade, post-login - cannot do anything, mouse constantly busy in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hello, I just upgraded from Windows 7 Pro x64 overnight on a home-built PC (Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550, AMD HD 7970 GPU, 4GB RAM, Intel board). After... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by heilmicrosoft, Aug 21, 2015.

1. Post-upgrade, post-login - cannot do anything, mouse constantly busy

Hello,

I just upgraded from Windows 7 Pro x64 overnight on a home-built PC (Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550, AMD HD 7970 GPU, 4GB RAM, Intel board). After logging into Windows 10 for the first time, I have what appears to be an intact desktop, but my mouse cursor displays the spinning "busy" circle constantly, and clicking on anything doesn't yield any results. Start menu unusable, system tray icons, etc. I launched the Task Manager with CTRL+SHIFT+ESC, but it's not responding (title bar with blank white window). I tried closing it with the mouse, and it's unresponsive - it asked whether I wanted to force close it or wait, so I chose to wait. It's now been about 30 minutes.

Here's a picture of my desktop as it currently stands:

https://i.imgur.com/UnL0TPo.jpg

:)

heilmicrosoft, Aug 21, 2015

2. HP Envy X360 Screen Flashing Issue

My machine automatically upgraded to Windows 10 and now my screen keeps on flashing. I cannot do anything. I tried all the support forums by microsoft, but basically I cannot do anything on desktop. It constantly keeps on flashing.

**Post moved by the moderator to the appropriate category**

Ajinkya Virkar, Aug 21, 2015
  3. Login Issues post upgrade

Hi Alicia,

Since the problem occurs after an upgrade, corrupted Windows system files might be the cause of this issue. To help you out with your concern, we advise performing
    Startup Repair using Windows 10 installation media and check if the issue persists. To do so, you may follow the steps provided below on how to perform Startup Repair using an installation media:

• Boot your computer using a Windows 10 installation media such as a USB drive or DVD. If you don't have a Windows 10 installation media, you may create one by following the instructions on this
      link.
    • On the Windows Setup Wizard, click Next and then click on
      Repair your computer
    • Click on Troubleshoot.
    • Click on Advanced options.
    • Click on Startup Repair and follow the prompts.

Keep us posted so that we can further help.

Stephanie Sal, Aug 21, 2015
  4. Joergi Win User

Post-upgrade, post-login - cannot do anything, mouse constantly busy

Hmm, hard to say what's going wrong there.

You can surely go back to Windows 7, if you want to. However, if you have the time, maybe just wait, maybe even for a few hours and see, which process is causing this slowness.

Another idea might be to start the PC in safe mode and see, if this problem is present there as well. If not, it's most likely some autostart program or a faulty driver.

Joergi, Aug 21, 2015
  5. Joergi,

I haven't restarted yet, just wanted to add some data to the problem. I can open shortcuts on my desktop (I have them edited out of the picture for privacy reasons). For instance, one is a link to a folder on C:\, and it does open Windows Explorer, and I can move around in there. I can launch RDP sessions, VNC, and open a couple of applications. However, I cannot open a PNG image or a txt file that is on my desktop.

heilmicrosoft, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Post-upgrade, post-login - cannot do anything, mouse constantly busy

1. Post-upgrade, post-login - cannot do anything, mouse constantly busy - Similar Threads - Post upgrade post

2. No Post

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    No Post: Hello, In the middle of an update my power suddenly went out momentarily and restored after. Upon restarting my pc now has no video output whatsoever. I’ve tried the motherboard output as well and same result. I am unsure on how to rectify the situation. I've tried resetting...
  3. post

post: How do I find what I posted on this forum? Thank you https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/post/b2a14555-e748-4855-a344-b94a0d59f940
  4. Requirement to login to Microsoft to post this message

in Windows 10 Customization
    Requirement to login to Microsoft to post this message: I use "Microsoft login" vice "Local login" on my Windows 10 PC. I was under the impression that would log me in to ALL Microsoft services. Why did I have to sign in to my Microsoft account again to post this question? Not sure if this should be posted here or in some...
  5. this is a **** posting

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    this is a **** posting: i can't wrap my head around how your paid "gurus" consistently feed us neophytes totally useless bits of complete nonsense. ****? myself and a multitude of other confused windows 10 users have gone on your website seeking solutions to our windows issues only to get fed...
  6. Post Windows 10 Upgrade

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Post Windows 10 Upgrade: I am installing the latest upgrade and ran out of space on my harddrive. How do I delete Windows.old folder? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/post-windows-10-upgrade/73ba4167-1613-459d-bd75-d1d3205b1578
  7. Posts

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Posts: Is there a way to see all you communications here? Thanks Paul https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/posts/e376c045-d610-4c47-b7eb-73674aeb5fdf"
  8. Constant BSODs (error codes in post)

Constant BSODs (error codes in post): Bit of a long story... Posting on behalf of a friend. Just before Christmas my mates PC started acting up. He began to get random BSOD's (we couldn't find any way to trigger it or repeat the errors, it all appears random) . It kept getting worse and got to the point where he...
  9. Cannot post replies to the forum

Cannot post replies to the forum: Suddenly I am unable to post replies to responses I have received. Can anyone suggest a resolution. I keep getting a message "oops something went wrong, please try again." Dan...
  10. VPN (cannot post a reply)

VPN (cannot post a reply): CraigLong, sent me a response to my question about VPN. When I attempted to reply I got a "oops something went wrong, please try again." I tried to post a reply several times and get the same error message. ??? Dan...