Windows 10: post upgrade system resets to unusable state.

Discus and support post upgrade system resets to unusable state. in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I'm totally stumped. I've upgraded from Win 7 to 10 twice and this happened both times. Basically on my Lenovo laptop I perform the upgrade and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by logbiscuit, Aug 15, 2015.

1. post upgrade system resets to unusable state.

I'm totally stumped.
    I've upgraded from Win 7 to 10 twice and this happened both times. Basically on my Lenovo laptop I perform the upgrade and everything seems to work perfectly. After 1-2 hours of use, all of the files in the account I'm using seem to delete themselves in front of my eyes. I'm basically left with no valid user profiles and I can't even log into the system (once I log out) with any credentials because all user profiles are gone.
    Essentially in HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\ CurrentVersion\ProfileList, I'm left with the following 3:
    S-1-5-18
    S-1-5-19
    S-1-5-20
    (and nothing else)

At this point I try all the recovery options in windows 10, and they all fail.
    I have to reboot with a previous Windows 7 rescue disk and system backup.

So even if I didn't mind that I'd lost all of my files, I can't even login once this weird event happens. Any ideas?

:)

logbiscuit, Aug 15, 2015
  2. mbenedic Win User

System unusable after upgrade to windows 10, just keeps flashing the monitors and spinning

Hi All,

So I updated. I thought I'd like it. My system is now unusable because all it does after the Welcome Marge screen is flash constantly both monitors and spinning like it's doing something. I can't open any applications, I can't open my computer, search,
    nothing, it's like it's trying to load something but I don't know what. Unfortunately, I can't go back to my W7 restore point because it no longer exists...not sure why but now restore only sees windows 10 which is totally unusable.

I can't get to a website to download drivers for my graphics card (visiontek 5570) because I can't open anything...it's in a loop trying to do
    something but I have NO idea what! post upgrade system resets to unusable state. :(

HELP!

Thanks!

Marge

mbenedic, Aug 15, 2015
  3. mbenedic Win User
    System unusable after upgrade to windows 10, just keeps flashing the monitors and spinning

ANSWER! I took the video and posted it on facebook and asked for help. Believe it or not, THIS WORKED!!!

Run msconfig from task manager. Go to Service Tab and scroll until you find 2 tasks that need to be stopped (1) Problem Reports and Solution Control Panel Support (2) Windows Error Report Service. Disable these by unchecking, apply,
    restart.

mbenedic, Aug 15, 2015
  4. Ztruker Win User

post upgrade system resets to unusable state.

How did you do the upgrade?
    What anti-virus do you have and did you uninstall it before doing the upgrade?
    Did you run virus scans before doing the upgrade?

Ztruker, Aug 16, 2015
  5. It was the standard upgrade from Windows 7 that you sign up for. The "Get windows 10" icon in the notification area finally popped up saying it was ready to install after a download, and I proceeded from there.

I use a combination of Avast and malware bytes, with constant updates and their respective live scanning to block anything malicious. Both times, as far as I can tell, my computer was clean.

logbiscuit, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

post upgrade system resets to unusable state.

1. post upgrade system resets to unusable state. - Similar Threads - post upgrade system

2. Sleep states not available on system

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Sleep states not available on system: Hi,My laptop does not enter sleep, instead it enters hibernate. I ran powercfg /a, and got the following:The following sleep states are available on this system: Standby S0 Low Power Idle Network Connected HibernateThe following sleep states are not available on this system:...
  3. Windows expired post factory reset of the system

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Windows expired post factory reset of the system: I had reset my system few months back and post that it seems my system was running on Windows 10 pro. For three years its been running on Win 10 and after reset it shows me license is expiring and today its expired. I got my system with pre installed Windows 10 and I believe...
  4. File Transferring on an Unusable Windows System

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    File Transferring on an Unusable Windows System: Hi everyone! I accidentally overfilled my C: drive 30GB left out of 558GB! and as a result Windows is so slow it's completely unusable. I'm saving up for a much bigger external hard drive and/or sufficient cloud storage to keep all of my data online, but for now the only...
  5. Bloatware updates make system unusable

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Bloatware updates make system unusable: Thread: Bloatware updates make system unusable At random times, Windows becomes so slow that it's almost unusable. Task manager shows the C disk active at 100% for hours. It takes me 15 minutes to copy a file. Sometimes the disk pointer is frozen for a minute or two. This...
  6. Post Windows 10 Upgrade

Post Windows 10 Upgrade: I am installing the latest upgrade and ran out of space on my harddrive. How do I delete Windows.old folder? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/post-windows-10-upgrade/73ba4167-1613-459d-bd75-d1d3205b1578
  7. System Boots into unusable state

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    System Boots into unusable state: Hi! My system is booting into “black screen with cursor” state, unable to get any tools to load / (no taskbar, no right click/ no ctrl-alt-delete Starting in Safe mode gives me the same Startup Repair Fails Reset This PC fails No recovery drive avail (accidentally...
  8. Destop Unusable After Recent Upgrade

Destop Unusable After Recent Upgrade: I am furious with MS. The upgrade last week week crashed my computer. I have a blurred screen and three icons bottom right with options only to shut down/restart, narrator, WiFi only. I am unable to run in safe mode or use any F keys. MS support at Twitter suggests I use...
  9. System will not go into hibernate state from sleep state

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    System will not go into hibernate state from sleep state: There is a issue on my system, my power setting as below. when my system was in sleep state, I found it would be awakened to desktop instead of went into hibernate state after 180 minutes. If I disable the RTC wake support for hibernate,the system could went into hibernate...
  10. System unusable after "successful" 1511 (1115, 1511, whatever) upgrade

System unusable after "successful" 1511 (1115, 1511, whatever) upgrade: Be kind, I'm more than a little stressed at the moment... I did a stupid thing. When I upgraded all 5 computers here to Windows 10 several months ago, it went SO WELL I figured doing the November upgrade yesterday would be a snap. Stupid, stupid, stupid. Ran the...