Windows 10: Potential installation or upgrade problem

Discus and support Potential installation or upgrade problem in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Currently running Windows 8.1 on a 20gb partition. I would like to upgrade to windows 10 when it is released. Question is how? I suspect 20gb... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by banger, Jul 11, 2015.

1. banger Win User

Potential installation or upgrade problem

Currently running Windows 8.1 on a 20gb partition. I would like to upgrade to windows 10 when it is released.

Question is how?

I suspect 20gb isn't enough as 16gb is already taken up by win 8.1. I installed win 8.1 as a clean install then activated with a win 8 key.

Is there a way to install 10 and still be able to activate as I suspect an upgrade will fail and roll back?

Tim

:)

banger, Jul 11, 2015
  2. 2grimus6 Win User

Screen tiles cannot be resized

The 7.8 upgrade has been withdrawn, so is no longer available through zune.

It should also not now be installed by a "Care Centre". One of the potential problems is excessive data use, I would wait to see if there is a fix.

2grimus6, Jul 11, 2015
  3. Gtr-Stosh Win User
    isoburn in Win10 pro x64 not recognizing DVD disc capacity

Problem Resolved and question withdrawn. Appears to be a firmware upgrade required issue potentially driven by Windows Updates.

Gtr-Stosh, Jul 11, 2015
  4. Kyhi Win User

can you increase the size of your partition ??

5. banger Win User
    I should have said that is the hard drive size although I have another 20gb disk with a backup of the c drive, it would mean new hard disks then setting up win 8.1 again.

banger, Jul 12, 2015
  6. Mystere Win User
    If you have a second hard disk, you could span them to create a larger sized drive. Then, perform the upgrade, run the disk cleanup tool and delete the Windows.old and any extra cleanup, then shrink the partition back down to 20GB and un-span the second drive.

Mystere, Jul 12, 2015
  7. banger Win User
    Spanning looks the way to go.

Can you span disks in windows disk management?

banger, Jul 12, 2015
  8. Mystere Win User

Yes and no.. you can span disks in Disk Management, but it doesn't offer much flexibility, and I don't think you can expand your system drive while its in use.

You would need to use a third party disk partitioning tool. What's more, "unspanning" the drive may not be possible without deleting both partitions, so you would need to backup the system partition, delete it, then restore it from backup.

Mystere, Jul 12, 2015
  9. banger Win User
    Can you recommend a tool.

banger, Jul 12, 2015
  10. Ztruker Win User
    I have to ask, why so small a hard drive? Why not get a larger one?

Ztruker, Jul 12, 2015
  11. banger Win User
    I tried to span using disk management but there doesn't seem to be a way and mini partition wizard 9 free won't do it either. Any other ideas?

banger, Jul 12, 2015
  12. Mystere Win User
    You can only span dynamic drives, so first you have to convert it to dynamic.

Mystere, Jul 12, 2015
  13. Potential installation or upgrade problem

I also wanted to ask this.

Wouldn't it be easier banger to get a larger drive, if your budget allows?

1) Make an image of your current system. This would require that the new larger drive is in a USB dock or enclosure so that you can write the image to it.

System Image - Create in Windows 8
    2) Remove 20 GB drive, install new larger drive

3) Restore System Image from step 1 to new drive (which is already on the drive)

There are a few more details, but this is something to think about.

Slartybart, Jul 12, 2015
  14. banger Win User
    But can you span an existing volume from what I have read they need to be empty?

At the moment budget does'nt allow as I would like a Helium filled HGST drives to replace the two 20Gb drives.

banger, Jul 12, 2015
  15. banger Win User
    So I have tried Aomei Partition Assistant, Easus Partition Master and they only seem able to merge or expand a volume on the current hard disk not across two disks. I have read some Linux distros can do it but I;m starting to get a little out of my depth here.

banger, Jul 13, 2015
Thema:

1. Potential installation or upgrade problem - Similar Threads - Potential installation upgrade

2. Potential security problem

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Potential security problem: Hello I have a concern with my windows security since it is not working. I want to do factory reset but it might wipe the license as well. How to make it work or just let windows defender be my security for my PC?...
  3. Potential security problem

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Potential security problem: Hello I have a concern with my windows security since it is not working. I want to do factory reset but it might wipe the license as well. How to make it work or just let windows defender be my security for my PC?...
  4. Potential security problem

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Regarding a potential BIOS problem

Regarding a potential BIOS problem: So my mobile gpu works once more hurray! but the problem isn't resolved just yet because my network adapter isn't functioning now, on to the subject at hand is it really a BIOS problem? if it is then ill gladly restore it to the older version. may any tech experts tune into...
  6. Potential security problem

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Potential security problem: Hello I'm a bit concern with my windows security it is not working. I always check and try to set it up but nothing would work. I'm afraid that if I reset my PC back to factory settings I will lose license of my account. Is there a way to fix it? Or just let windows defender...
  7. Potential security problem

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Potential security problem: Hello I'm a bit concern with my windows security it is not working. I always check and try to set it up but nothing would work. I'm afraid that if I reset my PC back to factory settings I will lose license of my account. Is there a way to fix it? Or just let windows defender...
  8. Potential security problem

9. Potential GPU problem?

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    Potential GPU problem?: Hello, so for the past week I've had a strange issue that occurred 3 times so far Whether or not the issue pertains to the gpu I don't know as one of the symptoms is the screen going black with no recovery First the mouse would stop working, and the cursor sometimes...
  10. Potential GPU problems

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    Potential GPU problems: Once again i have recently been experiencing some issues possibly with my GPU or some other part. Despite my system has been completely stable the past 2 years, I've experienced two instances of a complete system freeze the past couple days. The first one was while gaming and...