Windows 10: Potential Solution 'No bootable device detected' after fresh install

Discus and support Potential Solution 'No bootable device detected' after fresh install in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hello Forum, My Dell Precision T3600 originally came with Win7 x64 which I upgraded to Win10 successfully. However I wanted to do a fresh install of... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by ToeBoy, Apr 4, 2016.

1. ToeBoy Win User

Potential Solution 'No bootable device detected' after fresh install

Hello Forum,

My Dell Precision T3600 originally came with Win7 x64 which I upgraded to Win10 successfully. However I wanted to do a fresh install of Win10 to get rid of accumulated OS mess that cluttered most of my 256GB SSD drive. So I created a bootable USB thanks to MS create media tool. From the bootable Windows 10 setup, I deleted the old partitions (OEM recovery and such which was taking almost 1GB) selected the new clean primary partition and installed Win10. All was looking good until after install it rebooted and got a 'No bootable device detected' error. I will spare you the hell I went through to find the following simple solution:

In the BIOS, you need to change the boot sequence type from 'Legacy' (you know, the old one since forever which you put diskette above HD) to the new fancy UEFI which apparently is a new industry standard where everything is taken care of by the devices. Here's a screenshot of my BIOS:

Potential Solution 'No bootable device detected' after fresh install [​IMG]

After this BIOS change, restart the computer with the bootable Windows 10 installation, when the setup shows the available partitions, I had a little warning beside mine saying it couldn't install windows on that partition. I deleted it and then I could install it. Rebooted and everything was perfectly fine.

Hopefully this will help someone save some time.

TB,

:)

ToeBoy, Apr 4, 2016

2. USB ports not working

after running the troubleshooting a few errors have came up. it keeps saying the pc needs to be restarted no matter how many times i do and a few missing drivers but when i try to update them it just says the driver is up to date.

here is the troubleshooting details

Hardware and Devices

Issues found

Unknown device doesn't have a driver Not fixed

Apply solution for driver problem Completed

Install a driver for this device Completed

Unknown USB Device (Device Descriptor Request Failed) is n... Detected

View device details Completed

Your PC must be restarted Detected

Restart your PC to finish installing drivers and updates Completed

Potential issues that were checked

Hardware changes might not have been detected Issue not present

Windows Update configured to never install drivers Issue not present

Issues found

 Unknown device doesn't have a driver Not fixed

There is no driver installed for Unknown device.

Device information

ID: ROOT\NET\0000

Error code: 28

Apply solution for driver problem Completed

Follow the instructions in the solution to address the driver problem.

Install a driver for this device Completed

The driver for Unknown device is not installed. Install the latest driver for the

device.

 Unknown USB Device (Device Descriptor Request Failed) is

not working properly

Detected

Windows has detected a problem with Unknown USB Device (Device

Descriptor Request Failed).

Device information

Name: Unknown USB Device (Device Descriptor Request Failed)

ID: USB\VID_0000&PID_0002\6&2E93AB97&0&5

Error code: 43

View device details Completed

View details about Unknown USB Device (Device Descriptor Request Failed)

and check if there is a solution available.

 Your PC must be restarted Detected

Restart your PC to finish installing drivers and updates Completed

Potential issues that were checked

Hardware changes might not have been detected Issue not present

Windows Update configured to never install drivers Issue not present

Driver updates aren't automatically installed when detected by Windows

Update.

Detection details

Collection information

Computer Name: XHAF420

Windows Version: 10.0

Architecture: x64

Time: 3 December, 2015 2:52:22 PM

Publisher details

Hardware and Devices

Find and fix problems with devices and hardware.

Package Version: 3.5

Publisher: Microsoft Windows

Hardware and Devices

Find and fix problems with devices and hardware.

Package Version: 3.0

Publisher: Microsoft Corporation

Jeremy Jankowski, Apr 4, 2016
  3. my lumia 520 bricked

it shows "unable to find a bootable option"

when i connected my phone using nokia software recovery tool, it's not detected, the device detected as unknown device

and the installation is failed

lutfiburhan, Apr 4, 2016
  4. ToeBoy Win User

Also the screenshot was taken after everything was working. When I originally set it, there was no 'Windows boot manager' and SCSI HD there. It seems UEFI let's OSes write to the BIOS or something.

ToeBoy, Apr 4, 2016
  5. Lnc4288 Win User
    Thanks for posting. So basically it's just a matter of setting the BIOS to UEFI instead of Legacy prior to running Windows installer? I've been trying to solve this same issue for several weeks and would think that in one of my many attempts to install, the BIOS would have been set the way you suggested. I'll give it a shot and report back.

Lnc4288, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Potential Solution 'No bootable device detected' after fresh install - Similar Threads - Potential Solution 'No

2. Fresh install of windows 10 not detected as bootable in BIOS

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Fresh install of windows 10 not detected as bootable in BIOS: Hardware: -CPU: AMD R5 5600x -Motherboard: Asus ROG strix x570-E -SSD: Samsung 980 ProSo I'm having some trouble getting my fresh install of windows 10 on my NVMe SSD to boot properly. I'm using a usb stick with the intallation tool from the microsoft website to install...
  3. Fresh install of windows 10 not detected as bootable in BIOS

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Fresh install of windows 10 not detected as bootable in BIOS: Hardware: -CPU: AMD R5 5600x -Motherboard: Asus ROG strix x570-E -SSD: Samsung 980 ProSo I'm having some trouble getting my fresh install of windows 10 on my NVMe SSD to boot properly. I'm using a usb stick with the intallation tool from the microsoft website to install...
  4. Fresh install of windows 10 not detected as bootable in BIOS

in Windows 10 Gaming
  5. Device security problem after fresh install

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Device security problem after fresh install: Hello Microsoft Community,I recently did a fresh install of Windows 11 using my current version is Version22H2 OS build 22621.1105.After finishing the installation and updating all drivers, Windows security app, alerted me to a problem. Under the tab Device security it now...
  6. Windows 10 not bootable after fresh install

Windows 10 not bootable after fresh install: Hi, I'm trying to do a hard drive switch on my Lenovo Yoga slim 14.I got the new SSD installed, made a bootable USB. When I turn on the laptop I get into the windows 10 installation and my new SSD shows up. Everything seems to go smoothly until it restarts at which point it...
  7. No Bootable Device Found After Fresh Install

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    No Bootable Device Found After Fresh Install: I recently clean-installed Windows 10 after finding myself booting into a black screen with cursor post-login after having ran the memory diagnostic tool, and later getting a "No Bootable Devices Found" error after various unsuccessful repair attempts. Clean-installing...
  8. No bootable device, after installing an update

No bootable device, after installing an update: Hi. I just updated Windows10 to my Acer I5 laptop and restart him. I see on the screen sign NO BOOTABLE DEVICE only. I used my recovery USB stick and under Advanced options can't do nothing. I see an information YOUR HARD DRIVE LOCKED. I used some recommendations regarding...
  9. Fresh install of Windows 10 on new SSD -- No bootable device detected

Fresh install of Windows 10 on new SSD -- No bootable device detected: Decided to upgrade my lenovo laptop HDD for a Samsung SSD and have had nothing but problems getting Windows 10 to boot. I tried the windows media creation tool on 2 different flash drives with no success so I got the windows 10 ISO and loaded the USB drives using Rufus and am...
  10. No bootable device found after linux install

No bootable device found after linux install: Hello, So, I've had a pretty big issue today. I installed Debian as a dual boot with win10, and it worked! The only problem was that I didn't have access to either root or sudo. In order to fix that, I booted into Ubuntu because my Debian live image logs out after a few...