Windows 10: Potentially Dangerous Software

Discus and support Potentially Dangerous Software in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Earlier today I downloaded a program which several people a this site ranging from banned members to VIP members have said that they use. While I was... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by gregyurkon, Nov 25, 2015.

1. Potentially Dangerous Software

Earlier today I downloaded a program which several people a this site ranging from banned members to VIP members have said that they use. While I was installing it, ESET NOD32 Antivirus blocked two website accesses, and when scanning the computer afterward, Malwarebytes detected a "nonmalware threat" which required two restarts to remove. I don't want to say the name of the program, yet, but I think that people should be warned about a potential hazard. How do you think I should proceed at this point?

:)

gregyurkon, Nov 25, 2015
  2. Jsssssssss, Nov 25, 2015
  3. Malacious Software Removal Tool does not remove infected files it finds

Thanks for this answer, whilst accepting it is up to your Virus/Malware software to to their jobs if an alternative identifies potentially different perspective on a subject it should be capable of deleting/identifying software that it flags as potentially
    dangerous otherwise it renders itself pointless, i.e. if you can't identify what is highlighted then the tool is less than useless!

Rob

RobertRood_980, Nov 25, 2015
  4. BunnyJ New Member

Potentially Dangerous Software

Well,. I think if you don't at least give us a clue what the program you're referring to then reporting it is not going to be of any help.

BunnyJ, Nov 26, 2015
  5. The program is Burnaware Free. I didn't want to name the program, right away, because I'm not entirely certain whether I'm correctly interpreting the events I described in my first post.

gregyurkon, Nov 26, 2015
  6. BunnyJ New Member
    I just tried it out and I also got a warning from my AV. It cleared out the issue and it installed without a problem.

BunnyJ, Nov 26, 2015
  7. I suppose that it might be relatively safe for a program which triggers warnings, but I prefer not to trust such software, and I thought I should let someone know.

gregyurkon, Nov 26, 2015
  8. BunnyJ New Member

From what I can tell it seems to be a nice tool overall. After my AV quarantined the threat the program installed just fine. I might keep it.. not sure at this point.

But thanks for the heads up on this one.
    Jeff..

BunnyJ, Nov 26, 2015
  9. I checked ESET's logs and the website which it blocked while I was installing Burnaware was the OpenCandy website. According to this article, OpenCandy is, to quote Douglas Adams, "mostly harmless."
    http://www.techsupportalert.com/cont...e-software.htm

I think that it would probably be a good idea for people to read the article, so that they can make an informed decision about software containing OpenCandy. (I gave the article 5 stars, and posted a comment under the name QuarterLessTwain, but the comment isn't visible yet.)

Anyway, I think I'm going to have to trust one or two programs with OC, because I'm having trouble finding working BIN/CUE burning software, but that's probably a topic for a different thread.

gregyurkon, Nov 26, 2015
  10. This, why I always check new software at Softpedia, it telss, if it is free of malware and junk like:

TairikuOkami, Nov 26, 2015
  11. swarfega Win User
    It should give you tick boxes to undo those offers in the installer.

swarfega, Nov 26, 2015
  12. Thanks. I'll start using it.

gregyurkon, Nov 26, 2015
  13. dalchina New Member

dalchina, Nov 28, 2015
  14. Thanks. I'll try that too.

gregyurkon, Nov 28, 2015
  15. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there

quite frankly I'd steer well clear of ANY 3rd party software that "Offers" to do anything to your system --even well known things like cc-cleaner etc.

These days with cheap and fast HDD's I'd backup a system before applying updates / installing stuff so I could always restore quickly if the update / software install didn't work or I didn't like it.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Nov 28, 2015
Thema:

1. Potentially Dangerous Software - Similar Threads - Potentially Dangerous Software

2. Virus or Potentially unwanted software

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Virus or Potentially unwanted software: I don't know what happened all the apps that i download on PC is not working, when I click on them they show up this message "Operation did not complete successfully because the file contains a virus or potentially unwanted software" so how can I get my apps back...
  3. Virus or Potentially unwanted software

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Virus or Potentially unwanted software: I don't know what happened all the apps that i download on PC is not working, when I click on them they show up this message "Operation did not complete successfully because the file contains a virus or potentially unwanted software" so how can I get my apps back...
  4. Virus or Potentially unwanted software

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. Ads in Microsoft Solitaire collection for potentially dangerous products

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Ads in Microsoft Solitaire collection for potentially dangerous products: I tolerate the ads when playing Solitaire as I really don't feel I should need to pay more into Microsoft's coffers when I have already paid for the Windows operating software.However is it right that Microsoft, it seems, are now advertising products which could be...
  6. Ads in Microsoft Solitaire collection for potentially dangerous products

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Ads in Microsoft Solitaire collection for potentially dangerous products: I tolerate the ads when playing Solitaire as I really don't feel I should need to pay more into Microsoft's coffers when I have already paid for the Windows operating software.However is it right that Microsoft, it seems, are now advertising products which could be...
  7. Dangerous link

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Dangerous link: Hi If I click on a dangerous link but I close the link tab when it's loading so it can hacked my pc even the link does not load and I closed it so there is any chance bcz my net was also slow and I close it immediately even the website does load and not come in browser...
  8. Slow potentially malfunctioning software

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Slow potentially malfunctioning software: Hello, As of today I have been having problems with my desktop computer, and my limited knowlege has only taken me so far. I’ll get straight into the issue. I started my conputer today PC Tower 3.07 GHz, 12gb ram and it took a while to start, which was the first red flag....
  9. Utorrent is dangerous ??

Utorrent is dangerous ??: Hi, I used Utorrent for like for 1 year But after updating windows is unsafe.? And I also many people using utorrent even after updating window. Does it really dangerous??...
  10. windows security flagging CCleaner as Potentially Unwanted Software

windows security flagging CCleaner as Potentially Unwanted Software: Just started today. Surely MS doesn't mean to flag the CCleaner folks. From Windows Security > Virus & threat protection Detection: PUA:Win32/CCleaner Date: 7/27/2020 7:23 AM Details: This program has potentially unwanted behavior. Severity: Low Insider build: 20H2, OS...