Windows 10: Power button sleep on Creators Update

Discus and support Power button sleep on Creators Update in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I'm running Dell XPS 15 (9550) which I use for work. Finally our admins have upgraded McAfee which used to prevent Cretors Update from coming on my... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by mikolajek, Jun 20, 2017.

1. mikolajek Win User

Power button sleep on Creators Update

I'm running Dell XPS 15 (9550) which I use for work. Finally our admins have upgraded McAfee which used to prevent Cretors Update from coming on my machine. Since a couple of days I'm running CU then!

I have "sleep" function linked heto t power button settings (in power settings) but it has stopped working since the CU upgrade. Now when I press the power button, the laptop y powers simply powers off instead of going to sleep. *Sad

I've checked the active power plan and all other power plans and in all of them the action bound to the power button is sleep. Seems like the power management bug...

Can anyone offer some advice on this?

:)

mikolajek, Jun 20, 2017
  2. GVLynch Win User

no sleep mode in win 10??

Sleep was a useful feature to allow other computers/devices in my home network to share files 24/7 as well as power saving. After the Creators Update there is no way to allow the desktop to sleep after a time of inactivity. The sleep options that were
    available from the start before Creators Update menu are GONE.

Now there are no settings that allow the computer to Sleep. In the support.microsoft.com Windows Support article "Shut down, sleep, or hibernate your PC" the instructions for Sleep settings no longer apply. Under Settings > System > Power and sleep button
    settings > When I press the power button, the options in the drop-down selections are Do nothing, Hibernate, Shut down, and Turn off the display. THERE IS NO OPTION TO SLEEP. There are also drop-down selections for "When I press sleep button" but there is
    NO OPTION TO SLEEP and I have never seen a sleep button on the start menu or anywhere else anyway.

It is like Microsoft has done away with Sleep in the Creators Update and just doesn't want to say so. Until there is an explanation or fix from Microsoft I will revert my desktop to Windows v1703 and not install Creators Update on other computers in my home
    network.

GVLynch, Jun 20, 2017
  3. Sleep function disappeared after Creators update also screen brightness buttons stopped working

After creators update sleep function does not work, power options has no option for sleep.

• In Start>Power sleep does not show, only Hibernate Shut down and Restart.
    • Cannot change screen brightness, buttons stopped working, Action center lost the screen brightness button, Windows Mobility center brightness control has no affect.

JodySolell, Jun 20, 2017
  4. pepanee Win User

So just to double check, your settings look similar to the attached image?

If so, then let's try a simple quick-fix attempt.
    1) Change the When I press the power button to Shut down
    2) Press the Save changes button
    3) Restart the computer
    4) Go back to this same location and change that option back to Sleep
    5) Press the Save changes button
    6) Restart the computer
    7) After the computer starts up, press the power button
    8) What happens?

Power button sleep on Creators Update [​IMG]

pepanee, Jun 20, 2017
  5. mikolajek Win User
    Yes, they look exactly the same:

Unfortunately, the trick doesn't seem to fix the issue *Sad. Even though the "Sleep" option is officially set, pressing the button still poers the device off...

mikolajek, Jun 20, 2017
  6. pepanee Win User
    Try this out; see what happens:

pepanee, Jun 20, 2017
  7. mikolajek Win User
    Running troubleshooter hasn't helped either *Sad

But somehow when I connected it to my home power adapter (exactly the same as my work one), the power button acts as intended! No idea why but I'll definitely examine my work power supply.

mikolajek, Jun 20, 2017
  8. pepanee Win User

Go to Power Options
    You will see 2 Preferred plans: Balanced & Power saver

For both, do the following:
    Press Change plan settings
    Press Change advanced power settings
    Press the plus sign next to Power buttons and lid
    Press the plus sign next to Power button action
    Setting: Sleep
    Press the plus sign next to Sleep button action
    Setting: Sleep
    Press OK

Remember, do the same thing for Power saver.

pepanee, Jun 20, 2017
  9. bro67 Win User
    If it is a work machine, your IT group most likely stopped people from using Sleep, since it actually causes laptops to burn up from overheating when they suddenly wake up in a case and there is no way to cool them off.

bro67, Jun 21, 2017
  10. mikolajek Win User
    Thanks bro67, but it's not the case - I've double checked it with our IT.

Surprisingly when I repeated procedure suggested in the originally reply by pepanee, the issue has gone! No idea why it didn't work for the first time, but this time it did.

Many thanks for your help!!!

mikolajek, Jun 21, 2017
  11. pepanee Win User
    Cool! I'm glad it worked the second time around.

You're welcome =)

pepanee, Jun 21, 2017
  12. bro67 Win User
    Maybe the ACPI driver updated. Dell computers are known to act quirky for power drivers.

bro67, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Power button sleep on Creators Update - Similar Threads - Power button sleep

2. Sleep mode and power button isn't working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Sleep mode and power button isn't working: For some reason the power button/ sleep mode doesn't want to actually turn off the computer. It turns off the monitor for a second and then just turns it back on on the lock screen 2 seconds after and no matter how many times I press the power button or try to turn it to...
  3. Sleep mode and power button isn't working

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Sleep mode and power button isn't working: For some reason the power button/ sleep mode doesn't want to actually turn off the computer. It turns off the monitor for a second and then just turns it back on on the lock screen 2 seconds after and no matter how many times I press the power button or try to turn it to...
  4. power button preventing my pc from sleep

in Windows 10 Gaming
    power button preventing my pc from sleep: Hi guys i need your help, when i go to put my pc into sleep mode it suddenly just starts right back up again. I ran the command prompt and powercfg last wake and it says power button? i then ran the event trouble shooter and this is what came up. Can someone please help me...
  5. Wake from sleep only with power button

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Wake from sleep only with power button: Using a Surface Pro 6 with Windows 10 latest update I want that it wakes up ONLY when I press the power button. Nothing else. Instead, it wakes up when plugging or unplugging the power cable, moving the mouse ever so slightly or pressing a button on the keyboard (both...
  6. Missing buttons following Fall Creators Update

in Windows 10 Support
    Missing buttons following Fall Creators Update: Hi. Before that last big Update, I used to have buttons (where the question marks are in the attached pic) saying 'Restore this item' 'Restore all items' and I can't find a way to get these back. As you can see, I'm using Classic Shell if that matters. Can anyone put me...
  7. Only the Power Button Wakes PC from Sleep

in Windows 10 Support
    Only the Power Button Wakes PC from Sleep: My system: Win 10 64 bit Retail, MSI B150M Mortar, Intel i5-6500, Samsung 512GB SSD, Corsair 2 x 4 GB Memory, etc. Although my keyboard and mouse are allowed to wake the PC from sleep (in Device Manager), they don't wake the PC. Interestingly, pressing the "Power Button"...
  8. Sleeping instead of hibernating after Creators Update

in Windows 10 Support
    Sleeping instead of hibernating after Creators Update: With normal version of Windows 10, when I pressed hibernate my laptop was hibernating properly. After installing the Creators Update, I enabled hibernation from command line. But when I press hibernate at start menu, laptop is going into sleep mode. Although there is a...
  9. creator update start button

in Windows 10 Support
    creator update start button: since installing creator update I have had a few minor problems. now the start button sometimes works sometimes doesn't any updates on the horizon to fix creator problems 87286
  10. Laptop power button and sleep settings

in Windows 10 Support
    Laptop power button and sleep settings: Hi all, I have a Lenovo W510 laptop with Windows 10 Professional. I see in the power settings that I can configure the power button to put the laptop to sleep when pressed. I have it configured as such but when I press the power button, nothing happens. If I manually put...