Windows 10: Power Mode Slider

Discus and support Power Mode Slider in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Since the Power Mode Slider can be set differently for Plugged In, and not Plugged In, why would I ever want it set to anything other than Best... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by JeffL, Dec 12, 2017.

1. JeffL Win User

Power Mode Slider

Since the Power Mode Slider can be set differently for Plugged In, and not Plugged In, why would I ever want it set to anything other than Best Performance when Plugged In?

:)

JeffL, Dec 12, 2017

2. Fall Creators Update: Missing power mode slider in the taskbar

This is a bug, as explained in this article.

"if you switch to the balanced power mode from the Control Panel, the slider will disappear again and that’s the bug." So basically after switching power modes via control panel, the power mode slider goes away and
    seemingly cannot be fixed (even after returning to to balanced power mode).

Another article

"However, once you open the Control Panel and switch to the balanced power mode, the battery slider will disappear again. There is a big bug. It may be casued by the result of settings migrating from
    the Control Panel to the Settings app."

Jeffrey McClain, Dec 12, 2017
  3. ideapad 100s and windows 10 update 1709

Hello,

There's possibility that your battery is set to Power Saving mode which means that it has limited power that affects the performance of your applications and devices. We suggest that you set your Windows performance power slider to
    Better or Best Performance. You can access the slider by clicking or tapping the
    battery icon in the task bar. The slider appears in the battery flyout. You can choose your Power mode by moving the slider to the left and right.

Power Mode Slider [​IMG]

We look forward to your update. Your reply is most important for us to ensure we assist you accordingly.

Lizette Ags, Dec 12, 2017
  4. EdTittel Win User

Power Mode Slider

1. To save energy, or reduce on overall power consumption (two ways of saying the same thing)
    2. To provide "OK/adequate" performance when highest performance isn't needed (many applications such as Web browsing, reading email, working with basic Office features or equivalent desktop productivity stuff, don't need highest performance to work acceptably)
    3. To keep the circuitry running cooler, thereby extending probable device lifetime (running faster means running hotter, and is likely to shorten device longevity)

Chris Hoffman, the How-to Geek himself, has an interesting discussion of this at Should You Use the Balanced, Power Saver, or High Performance Power Plan on Windows? .

HTH,
    --Ed--

EdTittel, Dec 12, 2017
  5. JeffL Win User
    Well, maybe I'll accept #3 unless I get another reply that changes my mind. But I don't believe #1 would make an iota of difference in anyway that would affect my life. As far as #2 goes, I don't believe throttling down the maximum performance that the system is capable of, to a level that won't be exceeded anyway makes sense. It would be like mechanically blocking a gearshift from going into 4th gear just because you're only driving down a city street, and won't be taking it out of 3rd gear. *Huh

JeffL, Dec 12, 2017
  6. EdTittel Win User
    Yes, but where #1 is concerned, think of a large corporation where maybe 1,000 or more identical devices get turned on and run every day. A small savings on one device is no big thing, but a small savings on a thousand or more such devices adds up to something more substantial. Many Windows features make little or no sense for onesie-twosie users, but do make sense for "users in bulk."
    HTH,
    --Ed--

EdTittel, Dec 12, 2017
  7. It's just to give you options, even if you have no plan to use them. Want to guess how many complaints there would be if it was all greyed out. *Wink

alphanumeric, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Power Mode Slider

1. Power Mode Slider - Similar Threads - Power Mode Slider

2. Brightness slider not working in 2/3 Power Modes

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Brightness slider not working in 2/3 Power Modes: Hello,My brightness slider is not working in Options, nor in Quick Settings in 2/3 Power Modes Quiet and Balanced.Weirdly enough, it is working in High Performance mode. I've been searching the web and feel I've tried everything from *switching off/on multiple times* trying...
  3. Brightness slider not working in 2/3 Power Modes

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Brightness slider not working in 2/3 Power Modes: Hello,My brightness slider is not working in Options, nor in Quick Settings in 2/3 Power Modes Quiet and Balanced.Weirdly enough, it is working in High Performance mode. I've been searching the web and feel I've tried everything from *switching off/on multiple times* trying...
  4. Removing battery power mode sliders

in Windows 10 Customization
    Removing battery power mode sliders: Hello, I wonder if its possible to remove those power sliders in battery icons because they do mess up with certain things for me, i would like to just run on balanced power plan without the need of those things, Thanks in advance....
  5. Removing battery power mode sliders

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Removing battery power mode sliders: Hello, I wonder if its possible to remove those power sliders in battery icons because they do mess up with certain things for me, i would like to just run on balanced power plan without the need of those things, Thanks in advance....
  6. Removing battery power mode sliders

7. power mode slider

power mode slider: power mode slider in battery icon in taskbar is missing.. what do to? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/power-mode-slider/a425e2e1-ecb6-4c3f-b04f-95c7ce6ad8fb
  8. Battery icon doesn't show power mode slider anymore.

in Windows 10 Customization
    Battery icon doesn't show power mode slider anymore.: I'm unable to see a battery power mode slider which is used to change modes from high performance to battery saver mode. Have already tried uninstalling/reinstalling battery drivers, powercfg - restoredefaultschemes command, troubleshooter and command along with sfc /scannow....
  9. Battery percentage had disappeared on power mode slider menu.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Battery percentage had disappeared on power mode slider menu.: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/ekinyuksel12 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/k1db2r/battery_percentage_had_disappeared_on_power_mode/
  10. What exactly does the new Power mode slider change?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    What exactly does the new Power mode slider change?: Can some explain exactly what is being changed in the different levels of the power Mode slider? ie: Battery saver Recommended Better performance Best performance I understand the obvious that Battery Saver gives the longest battery life, and Best Performance give the...