Windows 10: Power outage while PC in sleep

Discus and support Power outage while PC in sleep in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; My PC suffered a power Outage while it was in sleep mode. When power came back, I started it up and it was running very slow, could not even get Task... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by Mayagrafix, May 15, 2017.

1. Power outage while PC in sleep

My PC suffered a power Outage while it was in sleep mode. When power came back, I started it up and it was running very slow, could not even get Task Master to work. Re Boot and screen message said a disk cleanup was necessary. When that did not work, went to USB startup disk and chose repair start up. Went thru that song and dance a couple of times, but ultimately it worked *Smile

My question is: If PC is in sleep mode, and info or data is stored in RAM, why did the startup disk go bananas (its a SSD) when power was cut? It has a APC Power Back UPS to protect from electricity surges (BTW, not even a peep when power went off).

I understand lost data on screen, yeah ok, but why damage to data on SSD?

:)

Mayagrafix, May 15, 2017

2. Power Outage / lost all files

I'm running Windows 10 on an hp ENVY 23 desktop and there was a power outage that lasted for all of 10 seconds. The pc was on at the time and when the outage shut it off I powered it back on to find all of my files I had on the desktop are now gone. Is
    this a normal function for a pc that goes through a power outage? Also I tried to do a recovery and restore but I get the message that no changes could be made.

DarrekBattle, May 15, 2017
  3. Resetting PC followed by power outage equals disaster

Hello,

Recently attempted to reset my PC (windows 10 home) and apparently there was a power outage while I was away.

I downloaded the "Media Creation Tool" and using a brand new flash drive it was not able to find the drive.

I then used RUFUS to burn the ISO image onto the drive... however, when I attempted to start the computer it does not read the ISO or flash drive.

All I can get is the "Preparing" and then the error telling me there was a power outage.

Charlie Kilo, May 15, 2017
  4. dalchina New Member

Power outage while PC in sleep

Given that power is still applied, and apparently your UPS was ineffective, then any power surge of sufficient magnitude to bypass all the stabilising circuitry could cause data corruption.

If that was able to generate apparent write operations, anything could happen.

Sounds as if it's worth checking your UPS and running a few tests. Household circuit breakers can be tripped by something as simple as a light failing (and that applies to different lighting technologies too) - a ridiculous situation I've always regarded as a Health and Safety risk. (I saw my elderly parents left unable to do anything but remain seated when this happened once).

(Note- we strongly recommend disk imaging- e.g. Macrium Reflect (free) - recovery from data corruption, ransomware, even if your disk fails (new disk needed!) - relatively quickly and without technical help).

dalchina, May 16, 2017
  5. zbook New Member
    See if you can run administrative command prompt: sfc /scannow
    If using windows 7, 8 or 10 except version 1703 also run: dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth
    Also plan an overnight run of chkdsk /f /r

zbook, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Power outage while PC in sleep

1. Power outage while PC in sleep - Similar Threads - Power outage while

2. Power Outage

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Power Outage: Hi, there was a sudden power outage in my area and my PC was shut down. I was able to turn on the PC without issue but when I run DISM it says I have errors?C:\Windows\System32>DISM/sfc /scannow Deployment Image Servicing and Management tool Version: 10.0.22621.2792 Error: 87...
  3. Power Outage

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Power Outage: Hi, there was a sudden power outage in my area and my PC was shut down. I was able to turn on the PC without issue but when I run DISM it says I have errors?C:\Windows\System32>DISM/sfc /scannow Deployment Image Servicing and Management tool Version: 10.0.22621.2792 Error: 87...
  4. PC issues after power outage

in Windows 10 Gaming
    PC issues after power outage: Hey peeps, I was gaming and my power flickered but my pc never shutoff. I continued playing but my game almost immediately started skipping frames. I tried restarting the pc and it was still happening. The cursor was skipping even at the home desktop screen. I tried...
  5. PC issues after power outage

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    PC issues after power outage: Hey peeps, I was gaming and my power flickered but my pc never shutoff. I continued playing but my game almost immediately started skipping frames. I tried restarting the pc and it was still happening. The cursor was skipping even at the home desktop screen. I tried...
  6. Sleep while PC power is cut off?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Sleep while PC power is cut off?: So this was a routine method for me: When going to sleep, I put my PC to sleep too and after waiting a few minutes turned off power switch on the back of my PC so my cat couldn't wake the PC etc. In the morning when turning it in back on and pressing a button on my keyboard...
  7. Quick Question on sleep mode and power outage

in Windows 10 Support
    Quick Question on sleep mode and power outage: So i usually put my PC to sleep more often than turn it off (this has caused me no end of problems when windows wakes up my bloody machine to try and install/download updates) anyway sometimes i have had power outages while its in sleep mode and im sleeping myself. Question...
  8. Power outage while working in Wordpad

in Microsoft Office and 365
    Power outage while working in Wordpad: I was about 800 words into a Wordpad document I was working on then the power blipped. Just long enough to turn the computer and the television off. When everything restarted my document has apparently disappeared. In Windows 10 is there anything that might save that document...
  9. power outage while updating

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    power outage while updating: while updating, (about 85% complete) there was a power outage and when rebooting i got the message "C:\WINDOWS\system32\config\systemprofile\Desktop" is unavailable. I tried windows button with I but nothing happened, i bought the computer with the software already loaded and...
  10. Windows 10 - Power Outage while installing

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 - Power Outage while installing: Hi guys! As the topic says, there was a Power Outage while I was busy installing Windows 10. I'm from South Africa, we have something called "LoadShedding". Where the goverment randomly switch the power off of a certain area, due to the fact that they own the company,...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. pc in sleep mode power outage