Windows 10: Power Plan automatically changing at game launch

Discus and support Power Plan automatically changing at game launch in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; I had noticed my PC wasn't going to sleep as expected. What I found was the power plan had switched from my custom Balanced plan to the High... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by monitorless, Apr 11, 2017.

1. Power Plan automatically changing at game launch

I had noticed my PC wasn't going to sleep as expected. What I found was the power plan had switched from my custom Balanced plan to the High Performance plan.

I've been able to reproduce this by launching a game with the control panel power options window up in my other monitor. The radio button changes from balanced to high performance when the game is launched.

I attempted to create a custom profile and made that my preferred profile. When launching a game, it switches my preferred profile to high performance.

It never switches back either unless I manually change it.

What are possible causes of this? I've looked around the AMD gaming software settings (GPU is RX 480 on a custom built desktop) to see if there's something in there that's responsible but didn't identify a setting that looks to be responsible. (And even if there was, wouldn't it change the profile back when I exit out of the game? It never does.)

Doing some initial searching on the internet didn't turn up anyone else with the same problem. Any thoughts?

:)

monitorless, Apr 11, 2017

2. Automatic power plan change

I'm fine with scripting!

Apologies for any hassle, but please do tell me how to do this.

Rowland :), Apr 11, 2017
  3. Automatic power plan change

The Control Panel / Power Options lets you select different power plans depending on the power source. If you need something more sophisticated then you need to get into scripting, using powercfg.exe plus the notification from the event logger (eventvwr.msc)
    that the power source has changed.

Frederik Long, Apr 11, 2017
  4. Power Plan automatically changing at game launch

I think I may have found the culprit in my case: Avast Antivirus.

I'm assuming this is a change to their "Game Mode". I went to Performance>Game Mode>Settings. Then under Performance there is a "Trigger high performance" which says "switches power plan when you play to prefer performance at the cost of battery".

monitorless, Apr 13, 2017
  5. Archie123 Win User
    Avast changes your power plan!!?? I wouldnt be happy with that , I use ESET and it has a game mode but it just shuts down all its own notifications and scanners when it detects a game. Its bad enough it does it but then not switching it back after you quit the game? rubbish Power Plan automatically changing at game launch :p

Archie123, Apr 14, 2017
  6. swarfega Win User
    I recently ditched Avast because it was becoming too intrusive in terms of network and other small things like this. You can disable the game mode option.

swarfega, Apr 14, 2017
  7. Each individual setting within Avast's game mode can be turned on/off. The only real issue here is that they added the feature, turned it on by default and left myself (and other users) at our wit's end trying to figure out what the culprit was. It has some good features such as "Pause Windows Updates" and "Disable Windows notifications". Whether or not they will work, I don't know. But I am sick of Windows minimizing my game to tell me to download an update. (Game developers, why can't you always support Linux so I can end this hell?)

On the other hand, Windows Defender has improved over the years. I've thought about just switching to that. About 90% of internet security is just knowing what not to click.

monitorless, Apr 16, 2017
  8. l3izz Win User

Power Plan automatically changing at game launch

Thank you for pointing this it fixxed my 7700k idle problem!

l3izz, Apr 18, 2017
  9. 2ndvenus Win User
    My AMD FX 8150 (8x 3.6ghz) was overheating like crazy when it normally stays cool under my H80i Corsair Liquid Cooler, it heated up like i had never seen before after Avast starting hijacking our system's Power options without our expressed permission, which is a DANGEROUS thing to do and is putting lots of peoples computers at risk especially if they arent tech-savvy or keep an eye on their temperatures.

Thanks to this change from Avast made evident over the last 4 weeks, my H80i cooling block became infused to the processor and now i have to replace BOTH. This has cost me over $300 in total in damages.

To Avast:
    Change your software immidiately to A: Notify people of the change to Game Mode, or B: Change it so it does not tamper with the systems Power Plan. THIS IS DANGEROUS CHANGES TO PEOPLES SYSTEMS!

I expect to be compensated for this damage. Im in a right mess now thanks to this update, to which i had no notification that my power options were being tweaked with in such a dangerous way.

High Performance mode changes peoples minimum process rate to 100% which is a good way to make your laptop or desktop BLOW a processor. No thanks Avast, REVERT the changes to Game Mode, and NEVER, EVER tamper with Power Mode options without any consent of the owner of the computer.

We download Avast because we want an Anti-Virus, you should NEVER mess around with peoples GPU or CPU when you cannot possibly understand each user's individual setup, CPU limitations and how good of a cooler they have.

Avast right now, is a hazard to your computer in Game Mode, whilst Game Mode is tampering with Power-Plan settings, and by Default is enabled on your System without you knowing about it.

I found out the hard way, and confirmed i wasnt the only one with this issue once i found this topic.
    May need to move this topic, as the problem is not limited to Windows 10, im using W7. The cause is Avast Antivirus.

2ndvenus, May 12, 2017
  10. 2ndvenus,

That's interesting (in a concerning way). I posted a thread to Avast's forums. See here. I encourage you to add your frustration there.

monitorless, May 12, 2017
  11. 2ndvenus Win User
    Im putting in a ticket with Avast, geeze that forum is full of scum. I dont know why i wasted my time talking to a complete troll base. You couldnt get idiots like that to agree to a clone copy of themselves.

2ndvenus, May 13, 2017
  12. Radboy16 Win User
    2ndvenus I'm sorry but i'm positive you won't be recieving compensation. If your CPU gets too hot on Performance mode, then you should have had better cooling to begin with.

Also, there is no way the two are permanently "Fused" together. That would take extreme heat, and temperatures that high would have melted more components. Does your computer still work? Chances are your processor was already "fused" before hand trhough normal use. Hot temperatures won't do that (in fact they make it easier to separate the two).

Try running your computer for about five or ten minutes, and then shut it off before trying to remove your processor. This will warm up the thermal compound, allowing the heatsink to be separated from CPU more easily. Thermal compound is prone to cement the two components together through normal use. It would be impossible for your components to have melted together, the heat required would be impossible to reach unless there was a manufacturer defect.

Seriously though, if you didn't have adequate cooling on your processor, that is your own fault. If Power Mode was so dangerous, it wouldn't be so easily accessible. Also, "max performance" power mode just sets your processor to be used how it was intended. Normal cycle. It doesn't force processes to use maximum load, that would be impossible. Clearly you have no idea how computers work, and are unable to accept the fact that the hardware failure was your fault to begin with.

Really, I can't stress the fact that if you aren't aware that thermal compound naturally cements components together, then you know nothing. You're over reacting to a simple issue, which is alleviated through the steps I described above.

No reimbursement for you. But you do get a gold sticker for trying too hard.

Radboy16, May 14, 2017
  13. 2ndvenus Win User

I have to try so damn hard because jerks come onto forums just to say 'Youre wrong' when they have obsolutely nothing to come to that conclusion, they frustrate the process which should be easy and clear to them given the solid evidence that Avast is tampering with vital system settings and gave NO notification that it was doing so after changes to Game Mode. There's just terrible, TERRIBLE people on the internet who just want to troll and thats unfortunately what i ran into on that forum. I realised i was just wasting my time putting anything on forums and put in a ticket, i contacted them by phone and the person couldnt speak English and wanted me to give them control over my desktop for absolutely no reason when all i wanted to do was leave them feedback.

The Corsair H80i cooler with Arctic Silver 5 paste is more than enough cooling for the AMD FX 8150, and anyone into computers should know that but of course no, everybody just wants to waste their lives going onto forums going "Youre wrong, and your wrong and everybodies wrong but me". Seriously, go away, if they lack understanding, which they clearly do given the text-book style responses, then they are absolutely useless to the subject issue at hand and have no reason to post a bag of trash when the evidence has been made clear and shown right to their faces that Avast gave no such warning, nor is in the component description, that it is fiddling with your Power Plan as i have the solid evidence:

Power Plan automatically changing at game launch [​IMG]

There is no information here stating that Avast will change your Power Plan, which for countless computers across the world can be very dangerous. Avast has no clue what kind of processor it is playing with, nor has any understanding of temperature limits of each persons computer.

Here's an example scenario so maybe in this universe people can grasp perhaps even a single thought of understanding that theyre are wrong on this matter, and Avast needs to have this feature disabled by default.

Your processor is 10 years old and starting to get too hot regularly even though you have changed the thermal compound and cleaned out the dust, and you set the maximum process rate to 50% to stop the temperatures getting out of hand. By doing this, temperatures on your CPU have stabilized and the life of your CPU has been greatly extended, you might even get another 6 years from it.

Avast without you knowing, updates Game Mode, without telling you what those changes are and what they are doing to your vital system power settings. Avast then switches you to High Performance mode in secret, and within a few weeks, your processor dies because it was being pushed to it's limit. Oh no, it looks like your motherboard was damaged too in the event, this has cost you $500 in repairs, replacement and services, and you were not the person responsible for it given how much you maintain and clean the computer.
    -----

AVAST doesnt care about CPU temperatures and the health or age of your system, looks like you have to pay hundreds of dollars in damages, not that Avast cares and will probably claim that it is not responsible for the endless amount of computers now being put at risk.

Nooo everyone just wants to shrug this off and say it isnt happening. Well i checked with a friend of mine who was using Avast and was complaining that his computer was getting hot within the last month, boom, i solved his problems, it was Avast, again. I'v just saved his screaming machine and this issue is nothing to do with which cooling method you're using, your CPU should not be in ANY control by Avast without your permission and without you knowing about it, and thats the final fact.

2ndvenus, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Power Plan automatically changing at game launch - Similar Threads - Power Plan automatically

2. Automatic Change of Power Plan

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Automatic Change of Power Plan: When I Start On My Laptop Automatically My Power Plan Going to High Perfomance Power Plan , Then I Change To Balance Power Plan and Close the Control Panel . After That I Again Go to the Power Plan and There is Only Balance Power Plan . But If I Reboot My Laptop Then Power...
  3. Automatic Change of Power Plan

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Automatic Change of Power Plan: When I Start On My Laptop Automatically My Power Plan Going to High Perfomance Power Plan , Then I Change To Balance Power Plan and Close the Control Panel . After That I Again Go to the Power Plan and There is Only Balance Power Plan . But If I Reboot My Laptop Then Power...
  4. Automatic Change Of Power Plan

Automatic Change Of Power Plan: When I Start On My Laptop Automatically My Power Plan Going to High Perfomance Power Plan , Then I Change To Balance Power Plan and Close the Control Panel . After That I Again Go to the Power Plan and There is Only Balance Power Plan . But If I Reboot My Laptop Then Power...
  5. Automatic Change Of Power Plan

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Automatic Change Of Power Plan: When I Start On My Laptop Automatically My Power Plan Going to High Perfomance Power Plan , Then I Change To Balance Power Plan and Close the Control Panel . After That I Again Go to the Power Plan and There is Only Balance Power Plan . But If I Reboot My Laptop Then Power...
  6. Power plan changing to 'Power saver' automatically

Power plan changing to 'Power saver' automatically: Hi,I recently came across a problem with my performance on my laptop. In the end, I discovered that the power plans on my laptop Windows 10 are messed up real good.On every start or restart, every time I plug and unplug the charger, the Windows power plan is set to 'Power...
  7. Power plan changing to 'Power saver' automatically

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Power plan changing to 'Power saver' automatically: Hi,I recently came across a problem with my performance on my laptop. In the end, I discovered that the power plans on my laptop Windows 10 are messed up real good.On every start or restart, every time I plug and unplug the charger, the Windows power plan is set to 'Power...
  8. Power plan changing to 'Power saver' automatically

in Windows 10 Customization
  9. how to automatically change windows power plan ?

in Windows 10 Support
    how to automatically change windows power plan ?: I found only how to change this upon program launch using task sheduler, but after i close program i want to change it back to balanced. I didn't find any program, or way how to do this automatically. Which is strange, one would think they would want people save energy for...
  10. power plan is changing

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    power plan is changing: My laptop is set to never sleep. However, sometimes it actually goes to sleep. But the issue is that when it awakes, Windows changes my power plan. Any assistance is appreciated....