Windows 10: Power settings mysteriously changed.

Discus and support Power settings mysteriously changed. in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Just had a windows update yesterday, not sure if the events are connected but turn off display went from my setting of 30 minutes to 10 minutes and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by banger, Aug 8, 2017.

1. banger Win User

Power settings mysteriously changed.

Just had a windows update yesterday, not sure if the events are connected but turn off display went from my setting of 30 minutes to 10 minutes and sleep never went to 30 minutes. These I believe are the defaults.

Did this happen to anyone else after yesterdays update?

:)

banger, Aug 8, 2017

2. Notification area settings mysteriously changed. How? Why?

Acelyn, thank you for the first part of your answer, acknowledging this may have been caused by the Microsoft account maintenance on March 7. I am disregarding the rest, as I don't think those steps are appropriate in this case, when three devices exhibited
    the same behavior.

Further evidence to support the Microsoft account maintenance reason, I just started up a 4th Windows 10 PC that had not been turned on since before March 7. A minute after booting up, the screen went blank for a second, then returned with the incorrect
    settings. I put the settings back as they were supposed to be and restarted. Hopefully that'll be the last of this issue.

BarryG_961, Aug 8, 2017
  3. Notification area settings mysteriously changed. How? Why?

Hi Barry,

It is possible that a minor glitch caused this issue or due to the maintenance of Microsoft Account yesterday.

For us to further isolate the issue, we suggest that you follow these steps and check if the same issue persists:

Method 1: Perform System File Checker (SFC) scan.

System File Checker is a utility in Windows that allows users to scan for corruptions in Windows system files and restore corrupted files. To perform the SFC Scan, you may refer to this
    link.

Method 2: Clean boot.

A clean boot is performed to start Windows by using a minimal set of drivers and startup programs. This will help to eliminate software conflicts that occur when you install a program. Please see this
    link for the steps.

Let us know the result.

Acelyn Alc, Aug 8, 2017
  4. dalchina New Member

Hi, which update was that? It always helps to quote the number- people are on different builds getting different updates at different times.

Have a look in the News section where there is a thread per update.
    (E.g. CTRL F or F3, search the page for part of your update number - one way to find a thread)

dalchina, Aug 9, 2017
  5. banger Win User
    Cumulative Update KB4034674 Windows 10 v1703 Build 15063.540 is what was installed yesterday. Looking in the News section there is no mention of power settings. I also installed Avira Speedup wonder if that affected some settings, quickly uninstalled it as I learned it was mainly a startup optimizer and junk cleaner. Strange.

banger, Aug 9, 2017
  6. Hi Banger

I'm guessing it is either your previous Avira Speedup software app that changed your power settings or a software app such as 'System Mechanic' or 'Advanced System Care' if you have either of them installed.

Neil Macready, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Power settings mysteriously changed. - Similar Threads - Power settings mysteriously

2. Mysterious "Backup Set" folder

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Mysterious "Backup Set" folder: Hello everyone!I'm using Windows 11 and have set up "File History" as well as "System Image Backup" as usual and everything runs as it should. Both functions created their familiar folders "File History" and "WindowsImageBackup", respectively, and contain the expected...
  3. Mysterious "Backup Set" folder

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Mysterious "Backup Set" folder: Hello everyone!I'm using Windows 11 and have set up "File History" as well as "System Image Backup" as usual and everything runs as it should. Both functions created their familiar folders "File History" and "WindowsImageBackup", respectively, and contain the expected...
  4. How to change the power settings

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    How to change the power settings: Hi I have W10 Pro on an ASUS VivobooxX405 I changed by Power Settings to Balanced because I was operating on battery and did not want my laptop to fail while I was working. The screen lost brightness but it was okay. Now I want to revert to high performance but cannot see the...
  5. How to change the power settings

in Windows 10 Support
    How to change the power settings: Hi I have W10 Pro on an ASUS VivobooxX405 I changed by Power Settings to Balanced because I was operating on battery and did not want my laptop to fail while I was working. The screen lost brightness but it was okay. Now I want to revert to high performance but cannot see the...
  6. Mystery Admin? Can't change settings!

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Mystery Admin? Can't change settings!: Ok so, been having this issue for a few months where I can't change my password or security settings because "Security Policies on this PC are preventing you from changing this setting". This is very strange as I should be the only admin and I'm not sure what to do. I also...
  7. Power settings automatically changing

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Power settings automatically changing: I hope someone out there can help me please - As for a few months now, Windows 10 build 19042.685 keeps changing the sleep setting to 2 hours, I have it set to never, as I could have background processes happening and I don't want to watch it so I let t go unsupervised, and...
  8. Power and sleep settings cannot be changed

in Windows 10 Customization
    Power and sleep settings cannot be changed: Since a recent windows 10 update, my screen shuts off after about 1 minute and my computer sleeps after 5 min. despite trying to reset in settings multiple times. Suggestions welcome....
  9. Mysterious HWID Changes

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Mysterious HWID Changes: Hello, I've researched this extensively and have not found a solution. Mainly just dead ends of the thread dying... My computer's HWID keeps changing everyday around 10pm from what I've noticed. I've seen some cases where it changes on restart, and lots of other people's...
  10. Can not change Advanced Power Settings

in Windows 10 Customization
    Can not change Advanced Power Settings: I have switch to the high performance power plan but I want to change a few of the advanced power settings but when I click on it nothing happens no menu, nothing!...