Windows 10: Power settings resetting and disabling passwords

Discus and support Power settings resetting and disabling passwords in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; Greetings folks, I'm having two problems with my new Dell XPS 8930, and I suspect they're related.First, the power settings keep reverting to "Power... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by Djinn252, Jan 5, 2018.

1. Djinn252 Win User

Power settings resetting and disabling passwords

Greetings folks,

I'm having two problems with my new Dell XPS 8930, and I suspect they're related.First, the power settings keep reverting to "Power saver." I repeatedly set it on "High Performance," but it frequently switches back for no clear reason. This often happens in the middle of the night, when no user applications are running.

Attempts:
    * Monitored CPU / GPU idle temperatures to see if they're running hot. Ruled out due to reasonable temps (41C / 55C).
    * Created my own custom plan (matching the "High performance" plan). No effect
    * Looked into a way to make the power plan registry settings read-only. Aborted effort before I broke anything

Normally, I wouldn't care too much about the "Power Saver" setting, except that the setting allows the system to go to sleep, which prohibits me from remotely accessing the desktop from TeamViewer. My goal in this case is to ensure that my system never, ever goes to sleep under any circumstances, so I can remote-access it at any time.=================In addition, some mornings when I bring the desktop out of sleep mode, it demands a password.

Attempts:
    * A month ago, I followed the instructions here to disable the password screen.

Still, when the computer comes out of sleep (which it shouldn't be doing anyway), the password is demanded. I reviewed the checkbox (see link in previous paragraph), and it remains unchecked. Regardless, I'm forced to enter the password when the system comes out of sleep mode.

My goal is to disable the password requirement completely.Many thanks for any help.

:)

Djinn252, Jan 5, 2018

2. Where do I allow specific programs for Windows 10 Family Safety?

Family safety has changed a lot and is not as useful as before. I do not see any way to allow or block applications. Online usage and computer is almost unrestricted. Monitoring time usage is also difficult.

"For apps & games, we've simplified how restrictions are set. You can choose an age setting for them, and based on that, they'll be able to only download apps and games that have been rated appropriate for their age. "

Apps are unrestricted because most have no age limit.

Passwords and Settings, Jan 5, 2018
  3. Windows 10 Family Safety

I assume the problem is from corrupt family settings files. It does not seem that the old win7/8 files are transferred or compatible with win10.

Passwords and Settings, Jan 5, 2018
  4. Djinn252 Win User

Ok... I think I found my own solution, though it's a rather brutalist approach.

This page describes how to export power plans to files, which should be done via command prompt elevated with administrator privileges. The command is powercfg - and there are several flags of note.

Use /L to list all of the plans. Note that a GUID is listed for each one.

Use -export (in conjunction with the GUID) to export each of the plans except for the one that you want to use. Put these files somewhere safe, ideally with the instructions.

Having exported the power plans and backed up the files safely, use -delete (in conjunction with the GUID) to delete each of the undesirable power plans.

When you're done, the only power plan remaining will be the one you want, and neither Windows 10 (nor any application) will be able to surreptitiously switch you to another power plan.

Based on a single overnight test, there are no side effects. I'll post if I learn otherwise, but I rest easy knowing that I have all of the deleted power plans backed up. Furthermore, even without the backups, I believe I can restore them with the powercfg -restoredefaultschemes command.

Djinn252, Jan 8, 2018
Thema:

1. Power settings resetting and disabling passwords - Similar Threads - Power settings resetting

2. How to disable the password reset?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to disable the password reset?: Hi, i think i am running out password as i need to reset it every month https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-disable-the-password-reset/4ca4f5c6-f211-4bda-8bdb-cb27969e9f44
  3. How to disable the password reset?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to disable the password reset?: Hi, i think i am running out password as i need to reset it every month https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-disable-the-password-reset/4ca4f5c6-f211-4bda-8bdb-cb27969e9f44
  4. Resetting bios Admin and Power-on Passwords

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Resetting bios Admin and Power-on Passwords: Hello.While trying to fix my computer i somehow managed to set a bios admin and power-on password. Altough i didn't forget it is just annoying to see on power-on and was wondering if anyone could help me get rid of it. For the record i have an HP OMEN laptop....
  5. Resetting bios Admin and Power-on Passwords

Resetting bios Admin and Power-on Passwords: Hello.While trying to fix my computer i somehow managed to set a bios admin and power-on password. Altough i didn't forget it is just annoying to see on power-on and was wondering if anyone could help me get rid of it. For the record i have an HP OMEN laptop....
  6. Task sheduler asks for password, but I disabled password log on in settings and disabled...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Task sheduler asks for password, but I disabled password log on in settings and disabled...: Long story short you can create a Microsoft account that does not require a password and that is 2 steps authentication only. I did that and disabled password log-on in settings to only have windows Hello.Now some legacy programs like task sheduler require a password. I tried...
  7. Task sheduler asks for password, but I disabled password log on in settings and disabled...

Task sheduler asks for password, but I disabled password log on in settings and disabled...: Long story short you can create a Microsoft account that does not require a password and that is 2 steps authentication only. I did that and disabled password log-on in settings to only have windows Hello.Now some legacy programs like task sheduler require a password. I tried...
  8. Power Settings timers for sleep keep resetting

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Power Settings timers for sleep keep resetting: I seem to have a similar problem, but a little different from a very common power plan issue. I have an AMD Ryzen 3600 on a X570 chipset mobo non Intel CPU. I like to set my power plan to put my PC to sleep after 45 minutes of inactivity. I have modified ALL of the existing...
  9. Power Settings keep resetting

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Power Settings keep resetting: I made this PC a while ago and it keeps having this annoying problem. Whenever i put the PC to sleep or restart it the power settings keep resetting to the AMD Balanced Plan, and even if i change, swap or do anything with that plan it will always revert to its defaults,...
  10. forgot admin password with additional security settings Reset my PC disabled

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    forgot admin password with additional security settings Reset my PC disabled: hi there, Ran into some issues with a common laptop Lenovo thinkpad running on windows 10. The security settings were done in a way that only admin can make security changes I.e reset the PC function and of cause the admin password has been forgotten. There is no way to log...