Windows 10: power supply and cpu speed

Discus and support power supply and cpu speed in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; My main computer, a desktop built by a local shop originally came with windows 7, I did free upgrade to 10. I have been thinking of getting an all in... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Wood, Feb 6, 2018.

1. Wood Win User

power supply and cpu speed

My main computer, a desktop built by a local shop originally came with windows 7, I did free upgrade to 10.
    I have been thinking of getting an all in one since they appear to be more reliable now than years ago.
    My questions right now are 2. I will probably have more later.
    1. My power supply in this 5 year old computer is 460 yet it is difficult to find an all in one over 120 without going for the very expensive aio.
    2. My cpu is i5 3.3 yet most aio computers are at i5 2.5

I can't figure out why my 5 year old desktop is more powerful than these aio computers.

:)

Wood, Feb 6, 2018
  2. Amir Abdi Win User

Fake high CPU usage - High fan usage - Windows 10

So, here is another finding: the Power Plan was set to "Balanced". The CPU utilization was at 100% and Speed was 3.06 GHz (which I assume is overclocking).

So, I changed the Power Plan to "Power Saver". The CPU utilization went down to 5% and speed went down to 1.20 GHz.

The problem is partially solved with Power Saver set as the power plan.

However, the CPU overclocking in Balanced mode is something new.

Amir Abdi, Feb 6, 2018
  3. BAD N96'S CPU

Besides, the CPU RAW power is many times lost in the OS that is running at the application level, and like some said the architecture of the video, audio and other things will be different so in some cases the performance of one CPU may be better even
    if the CPU is less powerful.

Many times the bottle neck is not the CPU speed but the data bus speeds or other pipelines. The interesting thing will be to compare two devices running the same software on the different CPU configurations and comparing them side by side.

el_loco---01, Feb 6, 2018
  4. power supply and cpu speed

I assume by 460 and 120 you are talking about power supply wattage.

Many all-in-ones use low-power processors in order to reduce power consumption, which in turn reduces the amount of cooling required, which in turn reduces the size of the computer. Think of it like sticking the internals of a laptop onto the back of a monitor versus sticking the internals of your desktop machine onto the back of a monitor.

There are higher-end AIOs with full-powered processors. But they tend to be considerably more expensive than getting a comparable desktop and monitor separately.

PolarNettles, Feb 6, 2018
  5. LMiller7 Win User
    All in one computers are convenient. And that is about all they have going for them.

For what you get they tend to be rather expensive. Upgrade options are comparable to that of a laptop, or in other words very limited. The CPU is usually soldered to the motherboard making upgrades almost impossible. Likely all available RAM slots will be filled so upgrades mean replacing existing modules. Video is usually built into the motherboard and not upgradeable. Servicing an all in one is more difficult, and expensive if you need someone to do it for you.

Power supplies are weak because there is almost nothing that can be upgraded and thus there is no no need for more. A more powerful PSU would consume more power and make cooling more difficult in the confined space.

CPU clock speeds can be directly compared only with otherwise identical processors. As those in question are about 5 years apart that is not the case. There are other factors that influence performance that are often more important.

Performance of an all in one will not compare favorably with a desktop of similar specifications. Low power consumption is generally of more importance than performance. Sometimes laptop type CPUs are used.

If convenience and small size is critical then an all in one might be worth considering. Otherwise a desktop will get you better performance at a lower price. And upgradeability and serviceability will be much better.

LMiller7, Feb 6, 2018
  6. Wood Win User
    I thought maybe they had advanced far enough to be considered for what I do which is nothing intense, no heavy duty programs like photoshop or the heavy games.

At present I can't justify the difference between hp all in one and an imac but was wondering if there is something better about the imac.

Wood, Feb 6, 2018
  7. Miller is right. The all-in-ones are crap.

margrave55, Feb 7, 2018
  8. stormy13 Win User

All in ones are nothing more than a laptop crammed inside a monitor.

stormy13, Feb 7, 2018
  9. EdTittel Win User
    I've owned a Dell AIO XPS 2720 that I bought for my son 4 years ago. I don't think they're necessarily crap, but I do agree that they combine the worst characteristics of a laptop and a desktop in one hard-to-access and expensive-to-repair package. In the last year, I've had to replace the screen, the PSU, and the power switch on this unit. The GeForce GT750M card has also failed, and I decided against replacing it (too expensive at around $200). Now, I'm using only the built-in Intel HD 4600 GPU. It works fine as a test machine for Insider Preview stuff but the next time it breaks, I'm going to gut the good parts, and give it to Goodwill. Sigh.
    --Ed--

EdTittel, Feb 7, 2018
  10. Wood Win User
    Well, I guess I will have to go with desktop with less than a full size tower, trying to get all on the computer desk without making it look like a storage shed that only has things put in it and nothing comes out.

11. LMiller7 Win User
    All in one computers do have their place and I expect we will see a lot more of them in the future. They take up less space, are simpler to set up, look attractive, and are more portable than a desktop or tower. To the typical computer buyer these are not small things. As mentioned previously they have some serious and very real disadvantages but they are not the kind of thing most buyers would initially think of, you won't see them mentioned in computer ads, and sales people likely won't either.

But if you want performance, upgradeability or serviceability a desktop or tower will server you much better. As a long term computer enthusiast myself these things are of supreme importance and the inconveniences are scarcely worth mentioning.

LMiller7, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. power supply and cpu speed - Similar Threads - power supply cpu

2. Power supply problem

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Power supply problem: I get Bsod everyday but i dont get them much i only get bsod like 2-3 times and my pc will work fine,my drivers are all up to date and so is my bios ,my hardware is good but my Power suppy is 4 years and gonna be 5 this april,should i buy a new power supply because i kinda...
  3. Power supply

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Power supply: Hello. I recently purchased a Microsoft Surface Laptop Studio. This is an upgrade from my Microsoft Surface Pro 4. In addition to the power supply that came with the Laptop Studio, am I able to use the power cord that came with Microsoft Surface Pro 4, or perhaps the...
  4. Power supply

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Power supply: Hello. I recently purchased a Microsoft Surface Laptop Studio. This is an upgrade from my Microsoft Surface Pro 4. In addition to the power supply that came with the Laptop Studio, am I able to use the power cord that came with Microsoft Surface Pro 4, or perhaps the...
  5. power supply upgrade

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    power supply upgrade: I have a tp01-1016 hp computor with a 180 watt power supply. would like to know what 300+ power supply will work in thiis computer https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/power-supply-upgrade/7cd8fe24-033d-4aa4-8b75-7815ce6cf7de
  6. Power Supply Calculator to calculate the Power Supply Wattage

in Windows 10 News
    Power Supply Calculator to calculate the Power Supply Wattage: [ATTACH]When it comes to PC building, one of the most important components is the […] This article Power Supply Calculator to calculate the Power Supply Wattage first appeared on TheWindowsClub.com. read more...
  7. Power supply noise

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Power supply noise: Guys, I built this PC about 2 years ago. Since about a week or so the power supply in it started making this noise. I'm guessing it's a fan. I tried to record it with my phone: Power Supply Noise by | Free Listening on SoundCloud Any idea if I can repair it without buying a...
  8. ATX power supply

ATX power supply: Hey, I have a ATX powersuply, that making a "tiking" sound i can't lacate what it is. my first though was capacitor. and maybe not. The weird this is it's only sometimes when i power on the computer. any wise ideas? 141087
  9. Power Supply Blew

Power Supply Blew: Yesterday a resounding SNAP sound blasted out of the desktop and all response instantly died. The monitor still had powe rbut no video image. Immediately to the repair shop for a new power supply but that did not produce a video response and an alternate video card was no...
  10. Power supply problem

Power supply problem: Hi, I recently got a new PSU as my other one blew up. However I seem to be having problems with my new one, where my PC will turn on, Windows will be laggy for about 5 minutes and then computer just shuts itself off. I turn the PC back on, and it barley makes it to the...