Windows 10: Power Went Out When Moving User Accounts

Discus and support Power Went Out When Moving User Accounts in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I have two WD Blue 1T Drives. One was filling up with pictures and games used by three people, plus all the apps, so I was going to do a clean install,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Madeupagin, Jan 1, 2017.

1. Power Went Out When Moving User Accounts

I have two WD Blue 1T Drives. One was filling up with pictures and games used by three people, plus all the apps, so I was going to do a clean install, and put all user files on the second WD Blue 1T drive. (I bought the second over a year ago with intentions of doing it then, just never got to it, so the second one was blank and formatted when I started.)

Of course, the power went out during sysprep. Now that power is back on, neither drive shows up; it is as if nothing is on either of them. I used a cord to connect them to my laptop and one shows up in the file explorer (the one I was moving files to) but not in disk management. (Yes, happily I had backed up all important stuff so there is no data lost, whew!). The other one doesn't show up anywhere. I don't have another desktop to put them in to try, only the one and the laptop where I connected them to.

Am I stuck with data I can't get to because both these drives are bricks? Is there anything I can do to fix this? Or just throw them away?

Is there a way I could use Linux to "see" them then format them and use them as if nothing happened?

:)

Madeupagin, Jan 1, 2017

2. Windows 10 TEMP User Deleted?

During the upgrade process, I was in a TEMP user account.

I logged out of the account, and back into my account, and it left me in the TEMP user account. I did all this before I power cycled the computer.

The Problem:

I moved (not copied) all my documents, pictures, and desktop from my main user account to the TEMP account, thinking that it would be my new permanent account (I should have backed up these files somewhere else, hindsight...)

So when I finally power cycled, I get all these wonderful messages that everything would be just as I left it, and everything is, with the exception of the TEMP user that I MOVED (not Copied) all my important stuff into.

Can I recover this TEMP user, and the files within it somehow (so I can move my stuff back into my main use account), or is everything lost at this point?

JamesKennedyTO, Jan 1, 2017
  3. Windows 10 defaults to the last user account when powering up

When powering up windows 10 with multiple users it defaults to the last used account. Is their any way to default to a menu of users? I hate the waste of time logging out of the previous user then selecting the new uses only to reload yet again.

***Post moved by the moderator to the appropriate forum category.***

Dewey Dipoma, Jan 1, 2017
  4. Samuria Win User

Power Went Out When Moving User Accounts

Welcome to the forum. Can the BIOS see the drive if it can't it's dead power off could corrupt the drive but rare to kill it

Samuria, Jan 1, 2017
  5. If you see the device in BIOS, then, as said by Samuria, you still have a hope.

If this is the case then you can use any Live Recovery CD, like Hiren Boot or similar, in order to format your drive and get it back to life *Smile

gramenauer, Jan 1, 2017
  6. Berton Win User
    I've seen it happen once and a problem occurred in that the Source drive got changed to RAW format, rather difficult to deal with, get the files copied off.

Berton, Jan 2, 2017
  7. And thanks to everyone else who responded.

Yes, both could be seen by the BIOS. What had apparently happened is the formatting, or something, disappeared from the new d:\user accounts drive. I made that my new c: drive and clean installed Windows 10. (There's another whine about that, I'll add it to this one below).

Then I used the trusty EaseUS, which I had from years ago, and broke all the partitions, then formatted the other, original c: drive and used it as a d:user accounts drive.

Thanks for the BIOS idea. I would never, ever have thought to look there, truly!

My whine, which is posted in another thread, is now I am stuck with Windows 10 HOME, instead of PRO, which is what it should be. How do I fix that???? I skipped the key thingy in the install, as it was supposed to already be in the machine, and my system is showing activated, genuine, etc., only HOME. My screaming, whining, etc. is in another thread, so I'm marking this as solved.

Thanks to all of you!

Tre

Madeupagin, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Power Went Out When Moving User Accounts

1. Power Went Out When Moving User Accounts - Similar Threads - Power Went Moving

2. After resting my pc and my power went out

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    After resting my pc and my power went out: So when I was going to reset everything on my pc it was resetting them my power went out and it says I need to put in a portable hard drive https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/after-resting-my-pc-and-my-power-went-out/7716026d-e9de-422d-9f2d-0c9889a5a64f
  3. After resting my pc and my power went out

in Windows 10 Gaming
    After resting my pc and my power went out: So when I was going to reset everything on my pc it was resetting them my power went out and it says I need to put in a portable hard drive https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/after-resting-my-pc-and-my-power-went-out/7716026d-e9de-422d-9f2d-0c9889a5a64f
  4. After resting my pc and my power went out

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Power went out, event log inside.

in Windows 10 Support
    Power went out, event log inside.: So my power went out suddenly the other night and my system was acting sluggish, freezing and giving me a lovely BSOD at least 4 times a day since. I ended up doing a chkdsk on boot, once I was finally able to get into windows and schedule it on the next reboot. Any idea what...
  6. Power went out mid install... HELP

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Power went out mid install... HELP: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/Keale_e [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/lh6dzv/power_went_out_mid_install_help/
  7. Moving an account to another user

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Moving an account to another user: I rebuilt a computer for my girlfriend and I and when I loaded two new copies of windows 10 on each computer I used my account to set them up. Is there a way I can move the windows key on her computer to her windows account after the fact?...
  8. Our electric went out & when it came back on the enter power-on password appeared.

Our electric went out & when it came back on the enter power-on password appeared.: It will not accept our password & will not let us get past it to fix this. Please help?!?! https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/our-electric-went-out-when-it-came-back-on-the/156dd826-7b98-4e63-ac6b-945f538a4ed0
  9. Users reporting false 'Out of Memory' errors when moving a shortcut

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Users reporting false 'Out of Memory' errors when moving a shortcut: Several MSDN developer forums have asked me to move this issue to a Windows forum since it seems to be a Windows 10 issue. We have complaints from our users about an 'Out of Memory' message from Windows, but they are not out of memory and just moving a shortcut. Short...
  10. Power went out during October 10 update

Power went out during October 10 update: My power went out during an update yesterday, and now my wifes computer won't completely boot up into Windows. It will get into the logon screen, but after entering the password, it starts loading Windows, then goes mostly black with the hourglass blinking on and off every...