Windows 10: powercfg and ps keeping my computer awake??

Discus and support powercfg and ps keeping my computer awake?? in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; How do I stop the process nw.exe from keeping my computer from going to sleep. I know it's a powercfg command but I'm not sure of the options so any... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by Gusgf, Sep 8, 2016.

1. Gusgf Win User

powercfg and ps keeping my computer awake??

How do I stop the process nw.exe from keeping my computer from going to sleep. I know it's a powercfg command but I'm not sure of the options so any help would really be appreciated *Smile

Code: C:\WINDOWS\system32>powercfg -requests DISPLAY: None. SYSTEM: [DRIVER] Realtek High Definition Audio (HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_10EC&DEV_0221&SUBSYS_103C18E5&REV_1000\4&e851e2c&0&0001) An audio stream is currently in use. AWAYMODE: None. EXECUTION: [PROCESS] \Device\HarddiskVolume3\Users\fergus\AppData\Local\Intel\XDK\bin\nw.exe Uploading data. PERFBOOST: None.[/quote]

:)

Gusgf, Sep 8, 2016
  2. PP_12 Win User

windows 10 prevents complete shutdown untill i do force shutdown using power button

I have the same problem, here are my results.

Microsoft Windows [Version 10.0.10240]

(c) 2015 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\WINDOWS\system32>powercfg/waketimers

Timer set by [SERVICE] \Device\HarddiskVolume4\Windows\System32\svchost.exe (SystemEventsBroker) expires at 03:09:26 on 11/08/2015.

Reason: Windows will execute 'Maintenance Activator' scheduled task that requested waking the computer.

C:\WINDOWS\system32>powercfg/lastwake

Wake History Count - 0

C:\WINDOWS\system32>powercfg/devicequery wake_armed

Synaptics SMBus TouchPad

Standard PS/2 Keyboard

C:\WINDOWS\system32>

PP_12, Sep 8, 2016
  3. ABHI2974 Win User
    windows 10 prevents complete shutdown untill i do force shutdown using power button

Microsoft Windows [Version 10.0.10240]

(c) 2015 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.
    C:\WINDOWS\system32>powercfg /waketimers

There are no active wake timers in the system.

C:\WINDOWS\system32>powercfg /lastwake

Wake History Count - 0

C:\WINDOWS\system32>powercfg /devicequery wake_armed

Standard PS/2 Keyboard

Alps Pointing-device

ABHI2974, Sep 8, 2016
  4. Adalwar Win User

you may want to reset the Power Schemes, it may help, I hope.
    powercfg /restoredefaultschemes

Adalwar, Sep 9, 2016
  5. EdTittel Win User
    Each network interface has a "Power Management" properties tab for its device information in Device Manager that includes a checkbox labeled "Allow this device to wake the computer." At a bare minimum, you'll want to check to make sure that the box is unchecked for each and every network interface on the machine in question. Here's an illustration of what you want so see:

powercfg and ps keeping my computer awake?? [​IMG]

HTH,
    --Ed--

EdTittel, Sep 10, 2016
  6. Gusgf Win User
    Did this a long time ago.

How do I stop the process nw.exe from keeping my computer from going to sleep using the powercfg command?

Why are people on here answering questions I didn't ask?

Gusgf, Sep 10, 2016
  7. EdTittel Win User
    Sorry to disappoint you. My understanding of the Powercfg stuff is that devices, timers, or services wake up a computer. I can't find any information on setting or breaking "wake from sleep" behavior for a Windows process. That's a long winded way of saying "I don't know the answer to your question," but I thought you might appreciate an explanation for where I was coming from. If you've eliminated the device already, you need to look toward scheduled jobs or timers that call the offending program as your next probable source of the wakeup behavior. I can't find any explicit discussions of this online, as I'm sure you're also aware.

Forgive me again for not assuming you had already checked the obvious potential causes. You didn't mention this in your original post, so it was the obvious thing to suggest...

--Ed--

EdTittel, Sep 10, 2016
  8. Gusgf Win User

No worries it was very kind of you to respond anyway. I know this is an issue that is driving a lot of Windows users nuts as many have tried everything and it either stops the computer from sleeping automatically or wakes the computer up out of the blue. MS don't seem to be contributing much to the discussion on the oem forums.

Gusgf, Sep 10, 2016
  9. EdTittel Win User
    I'm getting ready to take my family out for dinner in about 15 minutes, but when I get back, I'm going to see if there's any way to search scheduled jobs for strings (like "nw.exe"). I bet if we can find a scheduled task that invokes this program, we can do something to alter its behavior. Just a thought...
    --Ed--

EdTittel, Sep 10, 2016
  10. DavidE Win User
    You need to add overrides for the requests.
    Open an elevated command prompt and try these commands for requestsoverride :

powercfg -requestsoverride PROCESS nw.exe EXECUTION

powercfg -requestsoverride DRIVER "Realtek High Definition Audio (HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_10EC&DEV_0221&SUBSYS_103C18E5&REV_1000\4&e851e2c&0&0001" SYSTEM

DavidE, Sep 10, 2016
  11. EdTittel Win User
    EdTittel, Sep 10, 2016
  12. Gusgf Win User
    I really appreciate that *Smile

Enjoy your dinner with your family. There is no rush

Gusgf, Sep 10, 2016
  13. Gusgf Win User

Sorry David didn't see your message till now. Thank you for illustrating how to use the command. I will that a go, and oh btw do I need to reboot after issuing?

Gusgf, Sep 10, 2016
  14. DavidE Win User
    I don't think you need to reboot for these to take effect.

DavidE, Sep 10, 2016
  15. EdTittel Win User
    I'm curious if you have gotten any results from the powercfg commands you got from DavidE. That looks pretty promising. I've been working on finding stuff in task manager, and the best I've been able to come up with is to use the Active Tasks pane to guide you into currently active tasks to see if you can find mention of nw.exe. This still requires one-at-a-time investigation into those tasks to see if the action includes "run a program" with ".../nw.exe" as the target. I have 32 active task folders on my Win10 PC and you probably have a number more than 20 and less than 100 if your system is typical. Then, any given task folder can have anywhere from 1 to 15 scheduled tasks inside, each of which has to be searched. The total search space is pretty big and requires too much manual effort. So I'm still looking around for some way to attack this more programmatically. I'm going to reach out to some PowerShell experts tomorrow when the world goes back to work and see what I can find out. Stay tuned, but please let me know how the other path is going, too.

Best wishes,
    --Ed--

EdTittel, Sep 10, 2016
Thema:

1. powercfg and ps keeping my computer awake?? - Similar Threads - powercfg keeping computer

2. Computer no longer staying awake

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Computer no longer staying awake: Greetings, I can’t find a forum for the command line, so I hope this is the right place. I can’t find anyone else with the same problem.I am having trouble keeping my computer awake. I have created a batch file to back up my laptop. It takes several hours for the script to...
  3. Computer no longer staying awake

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Computer no longer staying awake: Greetings, I can’t find a forum for the command line, so I hope this is the right place. I can’t find anyone else with the same problem.I am having trouble keeping my computer awake. I have created a batch file to back up my laptop. It takes several hours for the script to...
  4. powercfg remote

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    powercfg remote: I am trying to be more proactive in catching bad batteries and I want to use a script to check the laptop batteries and save txt files that I can go retrieve from the machine. When trying to run a batch file that uses powercfg /batteryreport I keep getting the error 'The...
  5. powercfg remote

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    powercfg remote: I am trying to be more proactive in catching bad batteries and I want to use a script to check the laptop batteries and save txt files that I can go retrieve from the machine. When trying to run a batch file that uses powercfg /batteryreport I keep getting the error 'The...
  6. How To Keep A Machine Awake On The Lan?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How To Keep A Machine Awake On The Lan?: I have just one machine on our little lan that seems to disappear from time to time and it looks like it does that because it goes into sleep mode. How do I fix that if that's what it probably is? 139624
  7. How To Keep A Machine Awake On The Lan?

in Windows 10 Support
    How To Keep A Machine Awake On The Lan?: I have just one machine on our little lan that seems to disappear from time to time and it looks like it does that because it goes into sleep mode. How do I fix that if that's what it probably is? 139624
  8. srvnet keeping computer awake even when not sharing files

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    srvnet keeping computer awake even when not sharing files: So my computer (let's call it "Server") won't sleep because of srvnet as shown by cmd --> powercfg /requests. It only started recently but I don't know what caused it to do this. I have always had folders on Server shared with other computers ("Clients") on the network....
  9. Computer awakes by itself

in Windows 10 Support
    Computer awakes by itself: A few days ago I downloaded win 10 and everything is going pretty well except.. every night at 12:15 exactly the computer will awake from sleep by itself. I never had this issue with win 7 which I just upgraded from. Any suggestions are much appreciated. *Think 15798
  10. Service to track of a computer is asleep/awake

in Windows 10 Support
    Service to track of a computer is asleep/awake: I've set up a desktop as a media server running Plex. When I access it using RDC, it pops up really fast and I'm not sold the thing is going to sleep properly even though I've checked to make certain powercfg -request is coming up clear. There are services to track when...