Windows 10: PowerShell

Discus and support PowerShell in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; I have a 64-bit laptop running Win 10 Home. I just notice in All apps, there is an entry of PowerShell and PowerShell (x86). I realize the former... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by davidhk, Jun 13, 2016.

1. davidhk Win User

PowerShell

I have a 64-bit laptop running Win 10 Home.

I just notice in All apps, there is an entry of PowerShell and PowerShell (x86).
    I realize the former is for 64-bit and the latter is for 32-bit.

Question :
    In my 64-bit laptop, when I open PowerShell, which one am I actually using ?

example : If I go ...........
    Elevated command prompt > Powershell
    Which one will that be ? 32 or 64 ?

Assuming I can use both, is there a circumstance that I must use the 64-bit PowerShell ?

:)

davidhk, Jun 13, 2016
  2. BulldogXX Win User

Powershell

Powershell is just a shell - by itself it takes up virtually zero of your computer's resources. What you need to be concerned about is: What is using Powershell? If you're not using it ... who is?

BulldogXX, Jun 13, 2016
  3. OsmaniLoy Win User
    Powershell

Windows Powershell is eating half of my cpu.

I already disable it, but it is still running.

OsmaniLoy, Jun 13, 2016
  4. PowerShell

TairikuOkami, Jun 13, 2016
  5. CountMike New Member
    Power shell x64 on top (Title) bar says only Power shell while Power shell x86 it says "Power shell(x86)" .

CountMike, Jun 14, 2016
  6. davidhk Win User
    No idea to whom you were addressing .
    If it was meant for me, you lost me.
    PowerShell is meant for 64-bit and PowerShell (x86) is for 32-bit..................... I gather that, post #1.

davidhk, Jun 14, 2016
  7. CountMike New Member
    Yes you are right it was answer to your post and info for others. And yes x86 always meant it's a 32bit, program, APP, driver, OS, CPU etc.

CountMike, Jun 14, 2016
  8. davidhk Win User

PowerShell

........................ and apps will choose needed ..........................

That does not seem to answer my question.
    My question is : if I open Elevated Command prompt > then type powershell > which powershell will be on the command prompt screen ?

davidhk, Jun 14, 2016
  9. CountMike New Member
    Open either one of them.
    If in title bar you see "Power Shell", it's 64 bit. If you see "Power shell(x86)", it's 32 bit version. No matter where you start it from, it shows like that.
    If you substitute "Command prompt" in the Start right click menu with "Power shell", on a 64bit windows it will be 64bit version and in 32bit windows it will be 32bit (x86).

CountMike, Jun 14, 2016
  10. davidhk Win User
    OK.
    Thank you.

davidhk, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

PowerShell

1. PowerShell - Similar Threads - PowerShell

2. Powershell file closes instantly

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Powershell file closes instantly: Hello, I have a problem. If I carry out a PowerShell file, PowerShell closes instantly. I already set the Execution Policy to unrestricted. How do I solve this problem. Please help.Thank youFelix...
  3. Powershell file closes instantly

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Powershell file closes instantly: Hello, I have a problem. If I carry out a PowerShell file, PowerShell closes instantly. I already set the Execution Policy to unrestricted. How do I solve this problem. Please help.Thank youFelix...
  4. Powershell file closes instantly

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. Installing PowerShell 7-x64.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Installing PowerShell 7-x64.: The installer has insufficient privileges to modify the file. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/installing-powershell-7-x64/6d1d6de6-1b6f-44df-a221-9eedc66632c1
  6. Installing PowerShell 7-x64.

Installing PowerShell 7-x64.: The installer has insufficient privileges to modify the file. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/installing-powershell-7-x64/6d1d6de6-1b6f-44df-a221-9eedc66632c1
  7. Why does typing diskpart on cmd and PowerShell not continue and show what should have seen?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why does typing diskpart on cmd and PowerShell not continue and show what should have seen?: I accidentally removed the USB stick while in a command "clean". I know it's corrupted so I tried to fix it by formatting or removing it entirely since it has no files within the USB. Tried multiple applications till I found some applications that can actually read the USB...
  8. Why does typing diskpart on cmd and PowerShell not continue and show what should have seen?

Why does typing diskpart on cmd and PowerShell not continue and show what should have seen?: I accidentally removed the USB stick while in a command "clean". I know it's corrupted so I tried to fix it by formatting or removing it entirely since it has no files within the USB. Tried multiple applications till I found some applications that can actually read the USB...
  9. Used powershell on Windows 11 in S mode, How?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Used powershell on Windows 11 in S mode, How?: I've been experiencing some hacking, among other things, so I got a new laptop in S mode, I after a week or so of using it I decided to try to use PowerShell not knowing that you're not supposed to be able to use it on a computer in s mode, at first it gave the pop up saying...
  10. Used powershell on Windows 11 in S mode, How?

Used powershell on Windows 11 in S mode, How?: I've been experiencing some hacking, among other things, so I got a new laptop in S mode, I after a week or so of using it I decided to try to use PowerShell not knowing that you're not supposed to be able to use it on a computer in s mode, at first it gave the pop up saying...