Windows 10: Pre installed software vs Bloatware

Discus and support Pre installed software vs Bloatware in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hi , I have just bought new HP Elitebook x360 1030 G2 , it comes with 1607 windows 10 build , I noticed alot of HP software apps are pre-installed... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by omaer97, Sep 15, 2017.

1. omaer97 Win User

Pre installed software vs Bloatware

Hi , I have just bought new HP Elitebook x360 1030 G2 , it comes with 1607 windows 10 build , I noticed alot of HP software apps are pre-installed about 15 application ( for security purpose , jump start , remote control , Hot keys ,,,, )
    and I have read about windows 10 pro Signature edition that it;s free off Bloatware and faster and more productive my questions are :

My laptop is i7 7600 U , Ram 16 GB DDR4 , Will these Bloatware affect its velocity and performance ?
    and How Can I make Clean windows installation without missing any of drivers and needed application to operate my system properly ( I mean Multi gestures work , Function keys , Finger print , Light sensor .... )

last , I have made Image recovery on external USB drive using HP Image REcovery creator program , If I made clean installation for the Windows , Am I still able to restore the Factory Image ?

Thank you !

:)

omaer97, Sep 15, 2017

2. Windows Fall creators update is destroying my domain, how do I stop it?

Small note: All the affected machines are HP's which came with HP software built in. I'm wondering if you all have similar hardware and bloatware installed, since a clean install would wipe that stuff out, and maybe it's a compatibility issue with something
    pre-installed.

Scott Renton, Sep 15, 2017
  3. BulldogXX Win User
    Windows 10 Pro Without Preinstalled Programs

In addition to the Refresh utility, a 'pure' Microsoft installer is available directly from Microsoft

here

If you want the best Windows 10 experience, a clean install of a 'pure' copy of Windows is the way to go. A clean install on hardware that is compatible with Windows 10 is the key to success.

Something to keep in mind: You may not be able to re-install some of the software that came pre-installed with your computer after you do a clean install. That's not always a bad thing - plenty of that is bloatware that companies pay to have installed. But
    in other cases, where you actually benefit from a pre-installed program, the arrangement between the computer manufacturer and the software provider is that it's only available pre-installed.

BulldogXX, Sep 15, 2017
  4. dalchina New Member

Hi,
    1. If you do a clean install, you will be free of bloatware, of course, and the normal drivers required provided by MS. But, the iso you would download will be the Creator's Build (1703) unless you specifically download an Anniversary build.
    2. If you clean install you can then get whatever HP utilities you want from their site- provided they are compatible with the CU. Go and have a look at what's there.
    3. If you clean install (with the Creator's build, say) provided you keep the manufacturer's recovery partition (= Anniversary build- 1607- + HP utilities and any trial ware) that will still be there. But how useful would it then be?

Note: disk imaging- we recommend Macrium Reflect (free) - to be used routinely. So many advantages of disk imaging. Of course there are other programs too- the most important thing is to use one and potentially save yourself a lot of pain.

dalchina, Sep 15, 2017
  5. omaer97 Win User
    thank you , but I really don;t understand how to use macrium , it has many options , what is the difference between secure image and disk image ? I mean with Macrium free Can I make bootable image usb drive when my system goes wrong I just put my usb drive and start installing this image ?

omaer97, Sep 15, 2017
  6. dalchina New Member
    1. You can run Macrium as a normal program
    2. You can create a bootable disk from that program to boot to Macrium if your PC is unbootable.
    (Other Tasks, Create)
    The boot disk also offers a very useful 'Fix Boot' utility.

3. I don't know what a secure image is.

Pre installed software vs Bloatware [​IMG]

Option Windows Backup takes you to a window where all partitions for Windows are pre-selected. Then you start creating your base image. (Assuming you've plugged in a big enough USB drive e.g.).

Image sets with the free option are made up of
    base image (larger, slower)
    then each time thereafter you can create a
    differential image (smaller, faster) representing the changes from the base image.

5. To restore an image you thus need the base image, or the base image + 1 differential image.
    6. Images can be mounted and appear as a drive so you can copy files and folders from them

There are plenty of videos on youtube to watch: do some research, read the help file:
    Macrium Reflect v6 User Guide - KnowledgeBase - Macrium Reflect Knowledgebase

Tutorial:
    Backup and Restore with Macrium Reflect Windows 10 Backup Restore Tutorials

Video:
    Windows 10 instructional videos by Ten Forums members Solved - Page 69 - Windows 10 Forums

If it's too complicated for you try Aomei Backupper. Simpler GUI, not quite as good in some respects.

dalchina, Sep 15, 2017
  7. NavyLCDR New Member
    The answer to that question should be yes. I say should be, because that is one purpose of creating the recovery flash drive with HP's software - it should have the capability to completely reformat the HDD or SSD and restore a factory fresh software load.

When I get a new computer, before I do a Microsoft vanilla (clean) install of Windows 10, I export the drivers from the computer onto the USB flash drive. In command prompt (admin) or powershell (admin) the command is:

dism /online /export-driver /destination:F:\Drivers

Change the path in red to a folder on an external storage device you have created to hold the drivers. But - this will only export the drivers for the hardware devices - not any utility software such as for hot keys.

There is also this option that is supposed to get you to a vanilla Windows 10 state, and will leave your hardware drivers installed:

Pre installed software vs Bloatware [​IMG]

NavyLCDR, Sep 15, 2017
  8. omaer97 Win User

I have exported all drivers using the command to an external usb drive , but how can I install these drivers after making clean windows install ? and Should these drivers be installed once I install windows 10 ? Automatically without need for this usb ?

omaer97, Sep 15, 2017
  9. Rule of thumb:

Let the Windows installation and update process install whatever drivers it wants.

Use the PC in your normal manner for days/weeks. If something doesn't operate to your satisfaction, consider Plan B, which might include other drivers.

ignatzatsonic, Sep 15, 2017
  10. omaer97 Win User
    Would you recommend making clean windows install 1703 build or continue with my pre-installed factory windows 10 with the pre-installed software ?

omaer97, Sep 15, 2017
  11. Geeks, like most of us here, would tell you to clean install.

Mostly because we are geeks and enjoy (??) fiddling with these infernal machines. Not because of any significant improvement in performance or a better experience somehow.

If you are happy with the current state of affairs and have no big issues, why bother with a clean install? Maybe you like some of that stuff HP included. You might not notice the difference if you did do a clean install--just that you would probably have more drive space and less clutter--but so what?? Are you cramped for space? Are you bored? Do you wanna clean install just for the experience and the knowledge you might gain? Mebbe you are part Geek?

I would certainly get myself in a position where I COULD do a clean install if I wanted to--downloading the ISO, getting it onto a bootable USB drive, confirming that thing will at least boot your PC as if you were going to do a clean install.

It's a personal decision.

ignatzatsonic, Sep 15, 2017
  12. Helmut Win User
    This is all vastly over complex to no purpose.
    The bloatware won't affect your performance on that machine.

I would just consider each bit of bloatware, pre-installed application, and maybe uninstall it.

Keep all your drivers intact and things like function key application etc which you have mentioned.

That's all that needs doing. Keeps your laptop working with minimal effort.

The HP recovery creator just makes a copy of your recovery partition on external media. You can restore the Laptop to the original bought condition with that should you need to replace an HDD or something. Stash that away somewhere.

By all means know how to use something like Macrium for an image, but that is something separate to move on to later.

Helmut, Sep 15, 2017
  13. omaer97 Win User

Thank you all , I think I will keep working with this Windows pre-installed on my laptop , as far as performance won't change after making clean installation !

omaer97, Sep 15, 2017
  14. omaer97 Win User
    I'm still using my factory image that came installed with my laptop , as I'm afraid from losing some of my laptop functionality when doing clean installation , like my finger print - face id - touchpad synaptics - hot keys ....

omaer97, Sep 18, 2017
  15. dalchina New Member
    Anything on your laptop that is supplied with it should be downloadable from your manufacturer. Each manufacturer supplies a way of searching for and listing the drivers and utilities for each model, listed by OS supported, from the BIOS to multimedia utilities.

I suggest you go and have a look.

Also, these may be updated occasionally over time.

dalchina, Sep 18, 2017
Thema:

1. Pre installed software vs Bloatware - Similar Threads - Pre installed software

2. Pre-installed softwares of a Dell laptops

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Pre-installed softwares of a Dell laptops: Due to some Trojan entering into my laptop I had to format it, and after formatting the only applications that are left are the dell applications, so please can someone provide me the list of softwares that come pre-installed in a new dell laptop like Java, c++, some editing...
  3. Performance of software installed on SSD vs HDD

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Performance of software installed on SSD vs HDD: I have 230 GB Nvme ssd on my laptop as well as 1TB hdd. I have kept my SSD strictly for windows 10 and software installation. All my downloads, desktop files go straight to HDD. I was having a discussion with my friend who stated that performance of windows installed on SSD...
  4. Performance of software installed on SSD vs HDD

in Windows 10 Support
    Performance of software installed on SSD vs HDD: I have 230 GB Nvme ssd on my laptop as well as 1TB hdd. I have kept my SSD strictly for windows 10 and software installation. All my downloads, desktop files go straight to HDD. I was having a discussion with my friend who stated that performance of windows installed on SSD...
  5. Clean Windows Vs Pre-Installed Windows

Clean Windows Vs Pre-Installed Windows: Should I use OEM pre-Installed Windows 10? or Download the windows from the Microsoft"s site, and clean install my device. Which is best, and why??? Performance or stability related...
  6. Calculator pre-title vs result...

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Calculator pre-title vs result...: Hi fellas, I tried to find Microsoft contact, but finally, I can't find so write here... I got confused so I decided to share with you this bug? Pre-title: 96+5*9 Answer: 909 Expected: 141 Maybe it's ok, for the company strategy, but I don't like this, and it makes...
  7. MALWAREBYTES ADWCLEANER v7.4 Pre Installed Lenovo Software Question

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    MALWAREBYTES ADWCLEANER v7.4 Pre Installed Lenovo Software Question: I have used MALWAREBYTES ADWCLEANER probably since it was first introduced. When I ran it today a new version of the software was available (7.4) which I downloaded. No PUPS were found however this new version for the first time flagged Lenovo preinstalled software and asked...
  8. Pre-set up software install?

Pre-set up software install?: Hello, I have a new hp 15 laptop and I am tryin to find out if I can install a program before it goes through the initial windows setup? 135077
  9. Bloatware not automatically installed.

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    Bloatware not automatically installed.: As far as I know, Windows 10 automatically installs unwanted bloatware silently without permission (ex. Candy Crush). However, i tried to install Windows 10 in a virtual machine with the following steps without itself installing the bloatware. 1. Create a virtual machine...
  10. Installing software in Desktop vs Start screen mode

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Installing software in Desktop vs Start screen mode: I was thinking about installing Start8 to my start Screen, but would it conflict with my Desktop mode, OR are Start Screen and Desktop like 2 different and separate users? Because I don't understand the purpose of logging off and on to switch modes, if it isn't separate?...