Windows 10: Preparing an old PC to be given away

Discus and support Preparing an old PC to be given away in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I have an old Sony Viao AIO computer that I need to clean before giving it away. Originally it ran Win 7 then upgraded to 8.1 then finally to latest... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by sportflyer, Aug 5, 2018.

1. Preparing an old PC to be given away

I have an old Sony Viao AIO computer that I need to clean before giving it away. Originally it ran Win 7 then upgraded to 8.1 then finally to latest version of Windows 10. If I do a windows reset with option to remove everything and clean the drive, would it restore to latest windows 10 ? Would it asks for keys during the reset ?

:)

sportflyer, Aug 5, 2018

2. PC Build Steps

Ok just because I like steps i am going to create some steps. Please give me the stamp of approval/disapproval
    • Install system in case
      • Remember to connect SSD and optical to same SATA ports on motherboard
    • Turn on PC
    • setup HDD
    • run blend test in prime95 for 30-60 min
      • run realtemp at the same time
    • While in Prime95 test
      • if CPU goes above 70c in RealTemp, I have a leaky CPU
      • if my system locks up or blue screens, there is an instability in the system somewhere
      • if my system does not lock up or blue screen, my CPU is not damaged and I am in the clear!
    What do you guys think??

anandsap123, Aug 5, 2018
  3. Taskbar bug: switching to another window -will not appear at the front

Follow either of these steps to fix the issue with the Active window hiding behind.

Method 1:
    I suggest you to disable window by hovering over it with the mouse and check if it helps. To do so I suggest you to try the below given steps and check if it helps:

• Press Windows key + X key and click on Control Panel.
    • Select or click Ease of Access.
    • Click or tap onEase of Access Centre.
    • Click on Make the Mouse Easier to Use was uncheck Activate Window by hovering over it with the mouse.
    • Check if issue is resolved.
    Method 2:
    I would suggest you to completely uninstall the touchpad driver and reinstall it. Kindly follow the below given steps.

• Press “Windows key + X” and click on “Device Manager”.
    • In the list of devices, you should see the touchpad drivers.
    • Right click on the device and then select "Uninstall".
    • In the uninstall dialog, make sure you select the option to delete the driver package from the system. This causes the driver package installed earlier to be deleted.
    • In the Action menu of Device manager, select “Scan for Hardware changes” option. This will cause the device driver to be reinstalled. Once the driver is installed, close all windows and restart the computer.

ChojiTiger, Aug 5, 2018
  4. Preparing an old PC to be given away

Preparing Windows

Hi Jennifer,

I realize that at startup your PC always says preparing for windows. I will try to help you with this issue.

• Are you signing in to a Local account or the Microsoft account?
    Suggest you to boot the PC in Safe Mode to check if that helps. Once you are in the desktop screen you may boot the PC in a clean boot state to check the status.

Start your PC in safe mode in Windows 10: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/start-your-pc-in-safe-mode

How to troubleshoot a problem by performing a clean boot in Windows:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

Note: After you have finished troubleshooting, follow the steps under “How to reset the computer to start as usual after troubleshooting with clean boot” in the article to boot to normal startup.

Keep us informed to help you further.

Thank you.

Srimadhwa B, Aug 5, 2018
Thema:

Preparing an old PC to be given away

1. Preparing an old PC to be given away - Similar Threads - Preparing old given

2. Is it safe to give away a bitlocker key related to an old pc.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Is it safe to give away a bitlocker key related to an old pc.: Hello,Short Intro: Last year, my computer screen was broken by my housemate, we couldn't replace the screen so in order to sort everything out - she sold the old laptop to someone and gave me that money plus some extra to replace the laptop.Now, I have gotten an email from...
  3. Is it safe to give away a bitlocker key related to an old pc.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Is it safe to give away a bitlocker key related to an old pc.: Hello,Short Intro: Last year, my computer screen was broken by my housemate, we couldn't replace the screen so in order to sort everything out - she sold the old laptop to someone and gave me that money plus some extra to replace the laptop.Now, I have gotten an email from...
  4. Is it safe to give away a bitlocker key related to an old pc.

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
  5. Preparing automatic repair does not go away

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Preparing automatic repair does not go away: When I boot up my PC, it gets stuck at the asus screen saying "preparing automatic repair". Waiting does not work, I tried reinstalling windows, it did not work either. I also updated bios, tried booting from a different drive that just had windows installed. Thought this...
  6. Preparing automatic repair does not go away

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Preparing automatic repair does not go away: When I boot up my PC, it gets stuck at the asus screen saying "preparing automatic repair". Waiting does not work, I tried reinstalling windows, it did not work either. I also updated bios, tried booting from a different drive that just had windows installed. Thought this...
  7. Preparing automatic repair does not go away

8. PC given BSOD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    PC given BSOD: So.... i installed the new launcher of minecraft, because he change, and now when i start the minecarft gives a bsod with the message?System Service Exceptionwcifs.sysSo, what i do...
  9. PC given BSOD

PC given BSOD: So.... i installed the new launcher of minecraft, because he change, and now when i start the minecarft gives a bsod with the message?System Service Exceptionwcifs.sysSo, what i do...
  10. Preparing to donate old computer

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Preparing to donate old computer: I have purchased a new computer and want to know if I clean delete all personal information from the older one, will it have any impact on the new computer?...