Windows 10: preparing installation win 10 on a win xp prof laptop

Discus and support preparing installation win 10 on a win xp prof laptop in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Dear ​the laptop: Acer travelmate 4672WLMi MFG.DATE: 0608 Travelmate 4670 series Model NO.: ZB1 ​ original OS windows xp professional SP2... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by haramo, May 14, 2016.

1. haramo Win User

preparing installation win 10 on a win xp prof laptop

Dear

​the laptop:
    Acer travelmate 4672WLMi
    MFG.DATE: 0608
    Travelmate 4670 series
    Model NO.: ZB1

original OS
    windows xp professional SP2

Acer does not support this laptop according to the list on their website. All laptops not mentioned on the list are not supported.

I assume this means I have to find out for my self? or it's a confirmation it will not work at all?

According to acer site these are the minimum needed on the laptop:

Processor: 1 gigahertz (GHz) or faster ( laptop has 1.66GHz, genuine intel(R) CPU T2300 (2 CPUS, x86 family 6 model 14 stepping 8 ) )

RAM: 1 gigabyte (GB) (32-bits) or 2 GB (64-bits) (laptop had original 1 GB(supports dual channel), but is doubled to 2 GB. one is samsung 1GB 2Rx8 pc2-4200S-444-12-E3, other is kingston kvr800D2S6/1G 1.8V )

I assume OS (XP) is a 32 bit version as I don't see anyware 64bit nor 32 bit mentioned).

Free hard disk on hard disk: 16 GB (32-bits) or 20 GB (64-bits) (as windows xp does not give right for a free windows 10 , I have to buy one. so plenty of harddisk space (44,3GB (C drive) and 44.8 GB (D drive ), total disk: 93.16 GB.

Grafics card: Microsoft DirectX 9 graphics device with WDDM-device driver ( laptop has a ati mobility radeon X1400 card, memory 512 MB. directX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904), I can't find anything about a WDDM-device driver).

A Microsoft account (is this obliged? I prefere a local account for the moment).
    And internetconnection (I assume this is for those who can download the free windows 10?)

Acer also informs that the bios should be updated: laptop has ZB1 V1.3233.3B33(dxdiag) , Acer v1.3233. 11/07/2006(msinfo32). SMBIOS version : 2.4

Why won't Windows 10 not work if the correct bios is not available? Can I find out of my recent bios version is good enough?
    there is a bios upgrade available for the Travelmate 4670 series, (version 3239, date:2008/12/08 ), but acer doesnt mention what it will improve.

I collected the information using winver, msinfo32 and dxdiag.

if this all is ok, then I will have to find all drivers from windows 10 update.
    How big are the chances I wil find them all or at least for basic things as, videocard,audio, wifi, networkcard. Other things as cardreader, bleuttooth, modem, are not important to work.

:)

haramo, May 14, 2016

2. WIN7 PROF RETAIL old Computer to WIN10 on New MAC COMPUTER

I have received WINDOW 10 Upgrade & Reservation verification on my current computer - Full Retail Version of WIN 7 PROF (BESTBUY).

I DO NOT want to UPGRADE current Computer w Full Retail Version of WIN 7 PROF.

I want to install a Pristine/Neutral Version of WIN 10 PROF on a new MAC COMPUTER. I understand the need to install WIN 10 in Separate Partition on the MAC HARDRIVE.

My specific Technical Question specifically is how I access/download my AUTHORIZED/RESERVED WIN 10 PROF COPY to
    install DIRECTLY on the MAC COMPUTER?

Any information or specifics about this would be appreciated.

Thank You

Breton_Tom, May 14, 2016
  3. Win 10 home failed to install

Win 10 downloaded 3 times. Then getting stuck when preparing to install comes up. It takes Such a long time that no one can hold patience. Shutting down dell xps. After rebooting downloading starts again. Win 10 app always saying downloading. Anybody
    has solutions?

SantanuSarkarbrp, May 14, 2016
  4. NavyLCDR New Member

One thing to consider - since it is a Windows XP latptop, are you willing to but Windows 7, 8 or 10 for it? You can't upgrade Windows XP for free. Also do you have Windows media to restore Windows XP on it if Windows 10 fails?

I would make a backup image of the hard drive to an external USB hard drive using Macrium Reflect Free, then try a clean install of Windows 10 (you don't have to purchase Windows 10 unless you want to activate it, you can try it for free). If Windows 10 doesn't work then restore the hard drive from the image you created. Just make sure to make the Macrium Reflect Free rescue disk when you install it for the first time and make sure the computer will boot from it before wiping the hard drive to clean install Windows 10.

I've upgraded a Windows XP netbook to Windows 10 and it works better on Windows 10 then it did on XP.

NavyLCDR, May 14, 2016
  5. haramo Win User
    I hoped that someone could say yes or no. But as you said, I'll give it a try.

I installed XP from the build in recovery from acer. But I'm familiar with reflect free, will also test if I can access the laptop to put the backup back.

Where can I get a test windows10 ? I choose a genius ISO file, not from torrents sites (to dangerous). I thaught to buy it after I received a yes , but now I have to give it a try, would be stupid to buy it just for trying and then it does not work.

haramo, May 14, 2016
  6. OldMike65 Win User
    Their is no "test" version of Windows 10 ...at least not a legal one. Navy suggested a cheaper way to upgrade for you. Buy a Windows 7 or 8 version from like Amazon, install that, then you can upgrade to Windows 10 for free.

OldMike65, May 14, 2016
  7. haramo Win User
    ok, I think then I have no choise to buy it, but will buy if for a online supplier in Belgium, so I'm sure the OS language in the preferabele language.

haramo, May 14, 2016
  8. OldMike65 Win User

Point is you don't have to buy a windows 10 version .....Windows 7 or Windows 8 should be cheaper for you...even in Belgium.
    THEN you can upgrade to Windows 10 for free.

Windows 10 ...like windows 7 or 8 come in many languages no matter where you buy it.

OldMike65, May 14, 2016
  9. haramo Win User
    ok, so i will go for the windows 7, if the supplier has it, otherwise windows 8.1 . will windows 10 stay for free?

haramo, May 14, 2016
  10. OldMike65 Win User
    The Widows 10 is only free for Windows 7 and 8 users Until July 29th of this year.

OldMike65, May 14, 2016
  11. NavyLCDR New Member
    There most certainly is a legal way to test Windows 10. Just download the ISO file from Microsoft and install it. Skip entering the product key when it asks for one. You don't have to pay for anything to try Windows 10.

Download the ISO file from here:
    Windows 10

Scroll down to download tool button.

Or here:
    Tech Bench

Make a Windows 10 installation DVD or USB flash drive from the ISO file, boot the computer from it, and clean install. Click "I don't have a product key", or "skip" or "do this later" when asked for a product key.

NavyLCDR, May 14, 2016
  12. OldMike65 Win User
    Interesting ...didn't think it would .....how long will Windows 10 run un-activated?

OldMike65, May 14, 2016
  13. NavyLCDR New Member

Currently, runs forever un-activated. Some features are disabled and you get nag screens to activate.

NavyLCDR, May 14, 2016
  14. OldMike65 Win User
    Didn't know that....forever ?? don't sound right...but ok...

OldMike65, May 14, 2016
  15. OldMike65 Win User
    Well their you go haramo Just follow the links Navy posted for you.

OldMike65, May 14, 2016
Thema:

1. preparing installation win 10 on a win xp prof laptop - Similar Threads - preparing installation prof

2. Win 10 and Win XP File Transfer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Win 10 and Win XP File Transfer: I have a Dell with an intelR core tm I7 CPU loaded with Win 10 Pro ver. 21.H2. The numbers on the keyboard are not working, so I have plugged in another keyboard which takes up a usb port and another mini wireless adapter that takes up the other usb port. There is not a third...
  3. Win 10 and Win XP File Transfer

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Win 10 and Win XP File Transfer: I have a Dell with an intelR core tm I7 CPU loaded with Win 10 Pro ver. 21.H2. The numbers on the keyboard are not working, so I have plugged in another keyboard which takes up a usb port and another mini wireless adapter that takes up the other usb port. There is not a third...
  4. Connecting XP to Win 10

in Windows 10 Customization
    Connecting XP to Win 10: Hello I have read the article here that HOMEGROUP has been removed from Windows 10: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/homegroup-removed-from-windows-10-version-1803-07ca5db1-7bca-4d11-68a3-a31ff4a09979 How then can I connect share files and printers my Windows...
  5. installing win 10 x32 on xp laptop

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    installing win 10 x32 on xp laptop: I downloaded and installed win 10 pro on my xp pro laptop. All went great until I wanted to activate windows. how I can activate it. It doesn't let me make any changes, including the simplest fixing the clock....
  6. loadng Win 98/XP? files to Win 10

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    loadng Win 98/XP? files to Win 10: My problem is loading files from old hard drive to new Win 10 unit, as each computer crashed, got old and upgrading, finally on Win 10. Able to load files from Win 7 HD with cables and USB unit, no problem, oldest HD is Win 98/XP?, goes to quick extract but on forever w/o...
  7. Wanting to Share Win 10 Laptop folder with XP

Wanting to Share Win 10 Laptop folder with XP: XP can see my win10 machine fine, but just not the laptop. So I have to copy first XP to Win10 then Win10 to laptop. It's a real pain! Is there any way I can get to the laptop directly please. 143497
  8. Win 10 to Win XP Networking Issue

Win 10 to Win XP Networking Issue: I have 3 computers. Computer #1 - WIN 10 PRO X64 - Version 1803 - Desktop Computer #2 - WIN 10 PRO X64 - Version 1809 - Laptop Computer #3 - WIN XP - Laptop The problem I am having is as follows. Computer #1 can see all 3 Computers on the network and connect to them....
  9. Win 10 booting into "Preparing Windows"

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Win 10 booting into "Preparing Windows": Hi all,I'm having issues with Windows 10 x64. Occasionally it boots into "preparing Windows" and I am taking into the default desktop. Typically, i I reboot I am logged into my current desktop.TIA for any help. 80609
  10. Win XP Dual Boot with Win 10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Win XP Dual Boot with Win 10: Hello Im not sure which would be the best way to do this, Google is good most of the time but I am getting nowhere apart from getting more stress and a headache. I have Win XP with SP2 already loaded and set up just right on a sata drive, Ive bought a new motherboard,...