Windows 10: Preparing PC for a new user

Discus and support Preparing PC for a new user in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; I have a desktop with Win 10 that I am going to give to my daughter (in a different city). How can I delete my account log on info and set it up for... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by fireberd, May 20, 2016.

1. fireberd Win User

Preparing PC for a new user

I have a desktop with Win 10 that I am going to give to my daughter (in a different city). How can I delete my account log on info and set it up for her (I'll create a local log on).

I see tutorials on changing or adding users, but not sure about deleting my administrator account and if that will screw up Win 10 and not work at all. (I do have a backup image).

:)

fireberd, May 20, 2016
  2. ThadRizzi Win User

Brand New PC Stuck in "preparing for auto repair"on startup

Just bought a new PC, turned it on and it never gets past Windows "preparing for auto repair" screen. How is this even possible? Just return the PC, right?

ThadRizzi, May 20, 2016
  3. Brand New PC Stuck in "preparing for auto repair"on startup

definitely. Ask for another pc.

Jmarco0921, May 20, 2016
  4. Kari Win User

5. fireberd Win User
    That looks like basically a reinstall. I'd rather not do that unless its the only option.

fireberd, May 20, 2016
  6. Kari Win User
    That restores Windows 10 as it was when installed, before any user accounts have been created. When the new user boots the PC first time, it's like a new PC waiting the initial user account to be created.

If you want to keep all installed software and only remove all signs of your personal user account, type or copy this to the Run dialog (WIN +R) and hit Enter:
    Code: %windir%\system32\sysprep\sysprep.exe /audit /reboot[/quote]
    That command restarts Windows in so called Audit Mode, automatically signing in with the built-in admin account. When signed in you will see this dialog at middle of the desktop:

Preparing PC for a new user [​IMG]

Let it stay open. Go to Settings App > Accounts > Family & other people and remove your user account (tutorial: User Account - Delete in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums).

Close the Settings App. Now click OK in the Sysprep dialog shown above in screenshot. Windows will now run the Sysprep and restart in normal new PC Welcome / OOBE mode, without any user accounts but all software still intact. You can now go through the normal setup dialogs, creating a new user account for your daughter. Windows will be as after a clean install, only difference being that all software is already installed.

Another option: if you want to keep all installed software, remove your user account and data but let your daughter to set up the PC by herself, let her decide if she wants to setup a local or MS account and which username to use, before clicking OK in the Sysprep dialog as told above change the Shutdown Options to Shutdown, then click OK:

Preparing PC for a new user [​IMG]

Windows will now prepare the PC for Welcome / OOBE and shutdown. When it will be started next time, it goes through the normal OOBE setup phase, asking for the initial user to be created.

7. fireberd Win User
    OK! Thanks Kari. What I was looking for.

Jack

fireberd, May 20, 2016
  8. Kari Win User

You are welcome *Smile

For other readers of this thread, the method told in my previous post is the best approach when you are selling your Windows 10 PC or giving it away. It preserves Windows activation (¹) and all installed software but removes existing user accounts. When started after the procedure, Windows will be as after a clean install with no existing user accounts, but all software installed.

(¹) = If and when Windows was activated before this procedure, it will also be activated after it. If the product key is asked when restarting in Welcome / OOBE Mode, simply select "I don't have a product key". Windows will be automatically activated when it arrives to desktop.

9. fireberd Win User
    Sadly, the procedure didn't work. I got an error with the %windir%\system32\sysprep\sysprep.exe /audit /reboot. Windows reported it couldn't find it. However, it was in the system32 folder and I could manually run sysprep.exe. Also, I was listed as Administrator and couldn't find a way to remove my profile.

I had to do a clean install.

fireberd, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Preparing PC for a new user - Similar Threads - Preparing user

2. My laptop won’t start up. “preparing Automatic Repair” or STOPCODE esif_if.sys or...

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    My laptop won’t start up. “preparing Automatic Repair” or STOPCODE esif_if.sys or...: I am running Windows 10, my laptop froze and rebooted into Stop Code. I’ve tried SFC scans that don’t work. I’ve tried resetting the PC, it won’t allow me to. I’ve tried various CMD prompts given in previous QnAs on Microsoft. Most of them can’t run. I’ve tried leaving my PC...
  3. My laptop won’t start up. “preparing Automatic Repair” or STOPCODE esif_if.sys or...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My laptop won’t start up. “preparing Automatic Repair” or STOPCODE esif_if.sys or...: I am running Windows 10, my laptop froze and rebooted into Stop Code. I’ve tried SFC scans that don’t work. I’ve tried resetting the PC, it won’t allow me to. I’ve tried various CMD prompts given in previous QnAs on Microsoft. Most of them can’t run. I’ve tried leaving my PC...
  4. My laptop won’t start up. “preparing Automatic Repair” or STOPCODE esif_if.sys or...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Preparing automatic repair loop

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Preparing automatic repair loop: So this morning my Gateway laptop stopped working. When i booted it up it showed the logo like normal but then it said "preparing automatic repair". Then it went to a blue screen and when it tried to restart, the same thing happened again. I have had this issue for about 8...
  6. Preparing automatic repair loop

Preparing automatic repair loop: So this morning my Gateway laptop stopped working. When i booted it up it showed the logo like normal but then it said "preparing automatic repair". Then it went to a blue screen and when it tried to restart, the same thing happened again. I have had this issue for about 8...
  7. my computer is stuck on preparing automatic repair

in Windows 10 Gaming
    my computer is stuck on preparing automatic repair: i have a hpcomputer and it will not stop going to the blue screen just need some assistance please https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/my-computer-is-stuck-on-preparing-automatic-repair/a89d2788-1b62-4e67-beb3-463e69a1c29f
  8. my computer is stuck on preparing automatic repair

my computer is stuck on preparing automatic repair: i have a hpcomputer and it will not stop going to the blue screen just need some assistance please https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/my-computer-is-stuck-on-preparing-automatic-repair/a89d2788-1b62-4e67-beb3-463e69a1c29f
  9. Computer doesn't save user profiles -- they have to be recreated and prepare windows every...

in Windows 10 Customization
    Computer doesn't save user profiles -- they have to be recreated and prepare windows every...: Multiple people can normally log on to this computer and have accounts on a network domain. This computer doesn't save any new accounts. It just creates a temporary user file. Also, the Start button doesn't work....
  10. Force User Preparation on User Logon

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Force User Preparation on User Logon: Does anyone know how to force Windows 10 to perform its user preparation steps after a user already has a profile. I'm attempting to migrate a profile from Windows 7 to Windows 10, but the Start menu isn't working. I suspect this is because the OS never performs its...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. preparing a pc for a user