Windows 10: Preserving credentials when sharing folder under Win 10 for Win XP.

Discus and support Preserving credentials when sharing folder under Win 10 for Win XP. in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I would like to share a folder under Windows 10 Professional and access it under venerable Windows XP Home. I have no problems with sharing protected... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Aquagen, Oct 8, 2016.

1. Aquagen Win User

Preserving credentials when sharing folder under Win 10 for Win XP.

I would like to share a folder under Windows 10 Professional and access it under venerable Windows XP Home.
    I have no problems with sharing protected by passoword, but after any shut down/restart of Win XP it looses this credentials.
    How could I store this credentials permanently?

A more detailed description of my configuration:
    • Machine with Windows 10 Pro is called S. This machine has a folder F to be shared. The user and password are respectively: US & PS.
    • Machine with Windows XP Home is called K and similary user & password are: UK & PK. I cannot change the operating system to any newer one.
    • In the physical network there're many other nodes, but there're not mine and I must protect the access to folder F agaist them.
    • I can share this folder F in such manner that accessing it on host K requires enetering username US and password PS. It works fine, but after any shut down/restart I must manually enter these credentials once again.
    • I would like to know how to store this credentials permanently that even after reboot and without any manual activity this resource F would be accessible from K.

Thank you in advance for your reply.

:)

Aquagen, Oct 8, 2016
  2. YvesB Win User

Reset shared folders to default setting on Mome network

Hi,

If we exclude editing the registry, is there a simple and safe way/command to reset the shared folders on my HOME NETWORK to their default settings. I have 2 PCs running under Win 10, 1 running under Win 7 and last 1 running XP.

In the worst case, can someone indicate what the default settings are for each OS? Please note that I am not using/sharing folders using a HOMEGROUP.

Thanks

YvesB, Oct 8, 2016
  3. David3084 Win User
    My Windows 10 PC cannot see my windows XP computers on the network, but XP can see the Win 10 PC

No I tried that several times before I even got this reply..

On all XP machines I can see Public' and 'Default' share on the win 10 machine from the XP machines (no desktop shares). I have also tried to type in the network path direct from Win 10 machine to the win XP PC ie:

\\mynetwork\folder name as in my case

\\flightnet\project sky

when I do this it, finds the folder but says 'you don't have permissions to access this share'

(this is from my win 10 PC, trying to find the folder on XP

on my XP I made sure the share was read and write to everyone, surely I would thought win 10 would be more powerful the XP and should have sufficient permissions.

I checked my account on Win 10 and its set as the built in Administrator,, also the XP machines are all win XP Pro edition (my win 10 platform is home edition)

can you please everyone at Microsoft look into this case as I know that thousands and thousands of other people are all having same problems and a patch woul be nice so as to let us know at least someone is looking into it... but I would dearly love a result
    ASAP, as its causing so much interfearance with my project

Can I not have a online chat, like they do for XBOX problems ofr better still someone to actuall help by remote assistance

thanks

Dave Ward

David3084, Oct 8, 2016
  4. bro67 Win User

Did not really need all of that information. If you have mapped drives on any machine, the credentials for those mapped shares are kept under your user profile and in the Registry. If you are having to reenter the credentials every time you log into the machine, then either you have something clearing that information out, or you have not set to remember the credentials in the OS.

bro67, Oct 9, 2016
Thema:

1. Preserving credentials when sharing folder under Win 10 for Win XP. - Similar Threads - Preserving credentials sharing

2. Folder timestamp is not preserved during copy on win 10

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Folder timestamp is not preserved during copy on win 10: Hello when I use robocopy to copy a folder on windows 10, the date accessed isnt preserved. The full code is robocopy “source” “destination/source” /dcopy:DAT /A-:SHAR /XF *this is supposed to copy just the parent folder source/ and preserve the source folder timestamp but...
  3. Folder timestamp is not preserved during copy on win 10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Folder timestamp is not preserved during copy on win 10: Hello when I use robocopy to copy a folder on windows 10, the date accessed isnt preserved. The full code is robocopy “source” “destination/source” /dcopy:DAT /A-:SHAR /XF *this is supposed to copy just the parent folder source/ and preserve the source folder timestamp but...
  4. Folder timestamp is not preserved during copy on win 10

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Win 10 and Win XP File Transfer

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Win 10 and Win XP File Transfer: I have a Dell with an intelR core tm I7 CPU loaded with Win 10 Pro ver. 21.H2. The numbers on the keyboard are not working, so I have plugged in another keyboard which takes up a usb port and another mini wireless adapter that takes up the other usb port. There is not a third...
  6. Wanting to Share Win 10 Laptop folder with XP

Wanting to Share Win 10 Laptop folder with XP: XP can see my win10 machine fine, but just not the laptop. So I have to copy first XP to Win10 then Win10 to laptop. It's a real pain! Is there any way I can get to the laptop directly please. 143497
  7. Win 10 to Win XP Networking Issue

Win 10 to Win XP Networking Issue: I have 3 computers. Computer #1 - WIN 10 PRO X64 - Version 1803 - Desktop Computer #2 - WIN 10 PRO X64 - Version 1809 - Laptop Computer #3 - WIN XP - Laptop The problem I am having is as follows. Computer #1 can see all 3 Computers on the network and connect to them....
  8. How to preserve folders in Outlook Express (XP) when moving to Win 10

in Browsers and Email
    How to preserve folders in Outlook Express (XP) when moving to Win 10: I am in the process of migrating from an old PC on XP ,Office 2000 and Outlook Express. Will it be possible to preserve and move across my existing Outlook Express emails and folders to my new PC, which will have latest Windows 10 and Office 365. If so, how do I do this...
  9. Win 10 PC accessing a Win 10 Everyone share prompted for credentials

Win 10 PC accessing a Win 10 Everyone share prompted for credentials: I have a new Windows 10 Home computer and I've selected a folder and shared it. I've added Everyone to the Share Permissions list with Full Control. [img] I've selected "Turn off password protected sharing" in the Advance Sharing Center. [img] When I try...
  10. Win XP Dual Boot with Win 10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Win XP Dual Boot with Win 10: Hello Im not sure which would be the best way to do this, Google is good most of the time but I am getting nowhere apart from getting more stress and a headache. I have Win XP with SP2 already loaded and set up just right on a sata drive, Ive bought a new motherboard,...