Windows 10: preserving settings between build updates

Discus and support preserving settings between build updates in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; It seems when updating online between builds, settings are lost, registry tweaks etc. Is there a workaround for this? 8674 Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Chrysalis, Jul 20, 2015.

1. Chrysalis Win User

preserving settings between build updates

It seems when updating online between builds, settings are lost, registry tweaks etc.

Is there a workaround for this?

:)

Chrysalis, Jul 20, 2015
  2. Martmcd Win User

Disable automatic reboot on updates - Windows 10 Pro anniversary update

An in place UPGRADE to a new build (such as the anniversary update) will give the option to "go Back to an earlier build" and the group policy settings ARE preserved.

I have installed numerous new builds on this machine, have not performed a clean install, and the group policy settings remain as they were set in April 2015

A clean install will wipe the original OS completely and will of course reset the group policy settings and will not give the option to go back or a windows.old folder.

Martmcd, Jul 20, 2015
  3. 10

Sounds like you might have had the July Public Build installed and got updated the November Update. Regardless of this, your settings should have been preserved.

I have been updating to revisions of Windows 10 since build 99xx and never had that happened.

Its possible you might have a corrupt user profile.

Andre Da Costa, Jul 20, 2015
  4. Ztruker Win User

Use a Microsoft Account, not a local account. Make sure Sync is active then when you reinstall or upgrade, the setting should be restore from OneDrive. Keyword here is "should".

Ztruker, Jul 21, 2015
Thema:

1. preserving settings between build updates - Similar Threads - preserving settings between

2. sudoku not preserving play records.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    sudoku not preserving play records.: sudoku not preserving play records. As of Nov 8 i play the daily games, close the app and come back later to fing that the completed games from the previous attempt are not preserved. It shows they need to be replayed. Tried Reset and reload of the app to no avail....
  3. Sound Enhancements Not Preserved on Reboot

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Sound Enhancements Not Preserved on Reboot: The setting of "Loudness" for my speakers from the Enhanced Tab of my Speakers Properties never stays enabled after a reboot. Is there a way to keep it enabled by default when I reboot my computer? [img] 167019
  4. Toggle between network settings

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Toggle between network settings: Is there a way in Win 10 to set locations, such that one "Work" for example has a fixed IP, and "Home" has DHCP and I can switch between them without having to enter the settings each time? Those names are just examples.... Thanks. submitted by /u/wa1oui [link] [comments]...
  5. how can preserve settings for paint app

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    how can preserve settings for paint app: Hi, everytime i try to change same settings i do to paint like coloring text etc I have to do that with every image I open which is really frustrating and I don't know why Microsoft doesn't fix that I am talking about normal paint app not 3d paint because I haven't found...
  6. Folder Dimensions Preserved

in Windows 10 Support
    Folder Dimensions Preserved: By default, Windows kept the dimensions of each folder, but now I've noticed that it is no longer so. If I resize a folder, all folders acquire the same dimensions. I don't use folder templates, besides the general one. Windows 10 1903 157007
  7. Windows 10 system settings language preserves old setting.

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows 10 system settings language preserves old setting.: Hi, I recently changed my laptop's language from Traditional Chinese to English (US). Everything is fine despite the System settings itself still in old language (Chinese). Has anyone confronted this situation so far? System information OS: Windows 10 Home Version:...
  8. Slow transfer speed between two builds

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Slow transfer speed between two builds: Hey, y'all I just finished a new build and turned my old setup into a server/data host for my network. Both computers have a fresh install of windows and are connected together through a router with a Cat6 and Cat5 cable with a average connection of 200Down/30Up. Issue im...
  9. extract and preserve folders and pathways?

in Windows 10 Support
    extract and preserve folders and pathways?: I do not have windows 10 (yet) so I can't test this out. I developed software that needs to be extracted. The folder that is extracted has another folder in it along with a Flash player. The Flash player needs to remain in the folder along with the folder containing the files...
  10. Shortcut properties - setting and preserving

in Windows 10 Support
    Shortcut properties - setting and preserving: I am working with a fresh W10 install. I am used to W7. One old (x86) application I run requires that I configure the Start in setting for the shortcut that launches it. The shortcut that was placed on the desktop did not let me change that. The shortcut in the New list...