Windows 10: Pressing Windows Key and then typing search has stopped working

Discus and support Pressing Windows Key and then typing search has stopped working in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I'm sure it's not my imagination. I use to be able to press the Windows Key, the Start Menu would pop up and then I could simply start typing the name... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by eelpout, Sep 21, 2017.

1. eelpout Win User

Pressing Windows Key and then typing search has stopped working

I'm sure it's not my imagination. I use to be able to press the Windows Key, the Start Menu would pop up and then I could simply start typing the name of whatever program I wanted to launch. Since the last update (15063.608), that doesn't work. It appears that the "Type here to search" box use to be the initial "focus" but isn't anymore. If I hit the Windows Key three times in sequence, then I get what I want, but that seems a bit silly.

Is there a configuration option for this? I imagine it's something to do with Cortana.

:)

eelpout, Sep 21, 2017

2. Windows 10 Search Stops Working

THERE'S NOWHERE TO TYPE "INDEXING" when I press the Windows key.

There's no search box.

Cortana / search stops working after a few uses.

This is extremely frustrating.

Umma-2-Gumma, Sep 21, 2017
  3. S5125 Win User
    search the web and windows stops working

search the web and windows stops working, I did the "method 1... press windows key, type indexing... but I can't type anything in the box for 'search the web and windows' it changes shade but that is it, it won't let me type anything. I did the method
    2... windows key + x, select command prompt (admin) to bring.... etc but rebooting brings it back to normal. after a while it just fails to function again.

S5125, Sep 21, 2017
  4. Tony K Win User

Hi there. Just to see if this search option works > WinKey/S combo > Type in the name of an app you have. Does it give the correct result?

Tony K, Sep 21, 2017
  5. AndreTen Win User
    Do you have search box turned on in Taskbar? Turn it off and on again (change something...) and restart computer.
    Or, if you're using Cortana, change her settings (in Taskbar)

It's total non scientific approach, but it worked for me

AndreTen, Sep 21, 2017
  6. eelpout Win User
    yes, it does (thanks for that tip!).

eelpout, Sep 21, 2017
  7. eelpout Win User
    yeah, I've tried that, doesn't change things. this still works the way it use to on some of my other PC's so I'm not sure what I did. This is on an HP x360 Spectre, maybe there is some other Toolbar extension (i.e. like BatteryBar) that has messed things up.

I'll start using the Windows Key/S combo from now on that HippsieGypsie suggested as it does what I want. *Smile

eelpout, Sep 21, 2017
  8. Tony K Win User

You're welcome, but was just testing that part. It should work in your Start as well. You say after hitting the WinKey 3 times, then it works? If so, that's strange.

How about Andre's questions? Have Bing search on your Taskbar?

Tony K, Sep 21, 2017
  9. Tony K Win User
    Do you have other search bars then? Battery bar does not qualify as that. It's a utility.

Tony K, Sep 21, 2017
  10. eelpout Win User
    yep, the WinKey 3 times brings the focus to the Search Box. there appears to be nothing in focus the first WinKey press but the Start Menu does come up, second time hides the Start Menu and third time brings up the Start Menu with the Search Box focused. odd.

eelpout, Sep 21, 2017
  11. Tony K Win User
    Ok, so actually the second time Start is opened then the search works. Sometimes when I tap the WinKey it won't take the first letter I type. Too quick on the draw. If I wait just a second, then it does. Try waiting just a second or two.

Tony K, Sep 21, 2017
  12. eelpout Win User
    nope, no Bing or Yahoo bar of anything like that.

eelpout, Sep 21, 2017
  13. eelpout Win User

nope, if I wait nothing happens. there is nothing focused and typing does nothing. it's the subsequent 2 WinKey presses that focuses to the Search Box by hiding the Start Menu and bringing it back.

I'm going to try resetting Cortana preferences. I'm guessing it's something tied to it.

eelpout, Sep 21, 2017
  14. Tony K Win User
    My experience is that 10 has somewhat of a "focus" problem. Is this a constant thing or just once in a while?

Tony K, Sep 21, 2017
  15. Tony K Win User
    Ok. That's a possibility. Cortana and Bing are very integrated into the OS.

One more question > Did this seem to start after installing something? Or perhaps after Update Tuesday 2 weeks ago?

Tony K, Sep 21, 2017
Thema:

1. Pressing Windows Key and then typing search has stopped working - Similar Threads - Pressing Key typing

2. Microsoft Windows Search Protocol has stopped working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Microsoft Windows Search Protocol has stopped working: I keep getting the prompt that Microsoft Windows Search Protocol has stopped working, here are the details from the prompt:Problem signature: Problem Event Name: APPCRASH Application Name: SearchProtocolHost.exe Application Version: 7.0.9600.19913 Application Timestamp:...
  3. Microsoft Windows Search Protocol has stopped working

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Microsoft Windows Search Protocol has stopped working: I keep getting the prompt that Microsoft Windows Search Protocol has stopped working, here are the details from the prompt:Problem signature: Problem Event Name: APPCRASH Application Name: SearchProtocolHost.exe Application Version: 7.0.9600.19913 Application Timestamp:...
  4. My search bar has stopped working.

in Cortana
    My search bar has stopped working.: It's been 10 days since I did an update. My last quality update was: September 14, 2021—KB5005565 OS Builds 19041.1237, 19042.1237, and 19043.1237Two days ago, I noticed my system was running 100% HDDSo I came on here and followed the directions below in quotations it did...
  5. Touchpad stops working temporarily when key is pressed

in Windows 10 Customization
    Touchpad stops working temporarily when key is pressed: When I press a key and try to use the touchpad simultaneously the touchpad keeps stopping. I assume this is some sort of palm rejection but I have spent like an hour following every single tutorial I could find but none solve my problem. The settings in the tutorials just do...
  6. type to search not working can not type in type to search

in Cortana
    type to search not working can not type in type to search: It randomly happened that i couldn't type in type to search bar and i tried doing sfc /scannow and it said some fiels are corruptedand said it repaired them but it didn't....
  7. Windows Search and File Explorer Search has stopped working.

in Cortana
    Windows Search and File Explorer Search has stopped working.: Hello, Microsoft forums! This problem started a few weeks ago where my Search in my taskbar stopped working, where when you click on it nothing happens. I later discovered that the folder search in File Explorer has also stopped working in the same vein as the taskbar one....
  8. Type Search not working

in Cortana
    Type Search not working: please help, every time using type search in start menu - does not work and cannot able to type any letters https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/type-search-not-working/a360ae1f-102f-44e7-840a-b38d37bec87d
  9. Windows key has stopped working

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows key has stopped working: I have a problem with the Windows key no longer working on my daughter’s new Windows 10 laptop. If I press the key, nothing happens. I know it’s not the key itself because if I restore the entire hard drive from a Macrium Reflect image, it works perfectly. The only trouble...
  10. Search applications when pressing Windows key?

in Windows 10 Support
    Search applications when pressing Windows key?: In Windows 7/8/8.1 I would press the Start/Windows button and start typing the name of a program (ie: Firefox, Word, etc) and it would pop up, learn, and as I did the same thing in the future.....I would just press Windows key, type wor, and Word would pop up and I press...