Windows 10: Prevent application to create a registry key

Discus and support Prevent application to create a registry key in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Hi, is it possible to prevent certain application to create a registry key in Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software registry location? That registry key... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by boxikg, Nov 5, 2017.

1. boxikg Win User

Prevent application to create a registry key

Hi, is it possible to prevent certain application to create a registry key in Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software registry location? That registry key causes some problems - when I delete it manually problems are solved but every so often key gets created as soon as application is started.

:)

boxikg, Nov 5, 2017
  2. sw_78 Win User

Create a new key in windows 10 registry but cannot delete even if change owner to login user

Just common error of deleting key

I am able to find a workaround but need to switch to safe mode to delete it.

sw_78, Nov 5, 2017
  3. Create a new key in windows 10 registry but cannot delete even if change owner to login user

Hi,

What happens when you try to delete a key or value? Any errors?

Ramesh Srinivasan, Nov 5, 2017
  4. bro67 Win User

What purpose would that serve. The program would never run, because there would be nothing in the registry to tell Windows where to find it to show you it, what it needs to do to find the folder, list it in the start menu, etc. If you have problems with some program, then stop trying to install it.

bro67, Nov 6, 2017
  5. bo elam Win User
    If you dont mind installing a program, you can use Sandboxie for that. When you run an application under the supervision of Sandboxie, all changes are redirected to the Sandbox folder in C drive, registry changes included. If you want, you can block access to Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software to prevent the application from creating key there. You can read how Sandboxie handles the Registry in the link below, and I quote:

"The KeyRootPath setting specifies a path to the root of a particular sandbox. If omitted, it defaults to HKEY_USERS\Sandbox_(user name)_(sandbox name). For example, if the user joe is using the sandbox DefaultBox, the default KeyRootPath is HKEY_USERS\Sandbox_joe_DefaultBox.

As sandboxed programs create new registry keys or modify existing keys, Sandboxie redirects these operations to act on paths that lead into the sandbox. If the sandboxed program was trying to create the key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\NewKey, it will be redirected to create instead (KeyRootPath)\machine\Software\NewKey."

Sandboxie - Sandbox Hierarchy

With the free version of Sandboxie, you can run the application in the sandbox by right clicking its icon and choosing Run sandboxed. You should look at Sandbox settings, there you can set what to allow and what not to allow the application to do. Like no internet access, etc. You can also set the sandbox and its contents to delete on closing the sandboxed application, or save contents. According to what you said, it ll probably be better to have contents deleted automatically.

Sandboxie - Sandbox software for application isolation and secure Web browsing

Bo

bo elam, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Prevent application to create a registry key - Similar Threads - Prevent application create

2. Cannot create value or key, Error writing to the registry

in Windows 10 News
    Cannot create value or key, Error writing to the registry: [IMG]When some Windows users tried creating value or key in Registry Editor, they failed due to lack of permission or misconfiguration. This issue is mainly caused when the user doesn’t have permission to access or perform actions on the folder under which they are trying to...
  3. How to prevent writing to a specific registry key?

in Windows 10 Support
    How to prevent writing to a specific registry key?: So changing registry strings is a pretty common tool around here and something ive done pretty comfortably for a long time. Messing with registry permissions goes above my head and is quite a bit more risky. AFAIK with my limited knowledge ACL's and the like is quite a bit...
  4. Error Opening Registry Key: An error is preventing this key from being opened

in Windows 10 News
    Error Opening Registry Key: An error is preventing this key from being opened: [ATTACH]If you’re encountering the error message An error is preventing this key from being opened while opening specific keys in Registry Editor on your Windows […] This article Error Opening Registry Key: An error is preventing this key from being opened first appeared on...
  5. How do I create a registry key?

in Windows 10 Customization
    How do I create a registry key?: Greetings, I would like to have a batch script run automatically every time I open the command prompt. Anarticle implies that I need to create a registry key in this path: HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Command Processor How do I do this? I think the key name is supposed to...
  6. Registry keys registry keys

in Windows 10 Customization
    Registry keys registry keys: Where can I customize the file type/extension icon? John 137822
  7. YESTERDAY I CREATED REGISTRY KEYS TO ADD SOME USEFUL APPLICATIONS TO CONTROL PANEL IN...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    YESTERDAY I CREATED REGISTRY KEYS TO ADD SOME USEFUL APPLICATIONS TO CONTROL PANEL IN...: I have created certain Registry keys for the usefull applications to avoid search apps in C drive for the shortcuts . I listed some applications before created , and after created registry keys , I added in to control for testing purposes . All applications are...
  8. Change registry value in dynamically created registry key

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Change registry value in dynamically created registry key: Hello, I need find a way to disable the onboard microphone on a number of Windows 10 laptops I am imaging via SCCM OSD. After a lot of research it seems the best way to do this is by changing a registry value that controls whether the mic is enabled or disabled. I've...
  9. How to create a Registry Key in Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    How to create a Registry Key in Windows 10: [ATTACH] [ATTACH]The Windows Registry is a collection of settings that Windows and applications can use. It is a directory which stores settings and options for the operating system for Microsoft Windows. It contains information and settings for all the hardware, operating...
  10. Creating a registry key for a universal context menu entry?

in Windows 10 Support
    Creating a registry key for a universal context menu entry?: I am a constant user of Textpad test editor, in every context, but their setup option to have "Open with Textpad" on every context menu is broken in Windows 10. Occasionally, I also use Notepad++, but it is not a substitute because of the collection of editing tools,...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. prevent apps from creating reg keys