Windows 10: Prevent deletion of email from servers

Discus and support Prevent deletion of email from servers in Browsers and Email to solve the problem; My home network includes a desktop PC (Windows 10), laptop (Windows 10), and my iPhone 6. I use Thunderbird on both the desktop and laptop, and both... Discussion in 'Browsers and Email' started by gogreen, Aug 13, 2016.

1. gogreen Win User

Prevent deletion of email from servers

My home network includes a desktop PC (Windows 10), laptop (Windows 10), and my iPhone 6. I use Thunderbird on both the desktop and laptop, and both are set to leave email on the servers for all my email accounts, which are POP. When I view email first on the desktop or laptop and erase it there, email still appears on my iPhone. When an email arrives and I view it first on my iPhone, if I erase it from the iPhone, it doesn't appear on the laptop or the desktop PC. What setting am I missing on the iPhone so that the iPhone doesn't remove emails from their servers?

:)

gogreen, Aug 13, 2016
  2. 7thSense Win User

How to Configure Windows Phone 7 "Mango" to not delete messages on POP mail server?

If you delete an email from your POP account and then a sync is performed before you check your other mail client, the mail will be deleted from your mail server.

You might be able to set this up on the server side though when I think about it. Check the POP settings on the email server to see if there is a way to prevent email clients from deleting emails. This might flood your email server, though, unless you purge
    it now and then.

7thSense, Aug 13, 2016
  3. bobbai Win User
    Mail problems Nokia E72

I would also like to know how to prevent an email getting deleted from the server when it's deleted from the E72 inbox.

Can anyone help at all?

bobbai, Aug 13, 2016
  4. Prevent deletion of email from servers

Hi:

I guess it might help to know what the email client is on the iPhone (I presume it's Apple's version of a mail client, as I do not think there is a Thunderbird version for iOS)?

Having said that, it seems like this a question about settings on the iPhone, rather than anything directly or indirectly related to Windows 10 or to Thunderbird?
    So, we'll probably need to wait for someone here at Tenforums.com who happens to have an iPhone.*Wink
    Until then, have you tried posting at a more general or Mac-specific computer forum, for what might be a quicker response?

Cheers,

MM

MoxieMomma, Aug 13, 2016
  5. IMAP would be a better choice, if your email account supports it.

TairikuOkami, Aug 13, 2016
  6. Good point, if the OP wants to be able to access message across multiple platforms and multiple devices.*Smile
    It can be a bit of a pain to reconfigure everything, but it can be done...

MM

MoxieMomma, Aug 13, 2016
  7. gogreen Win User

Thanks, all, for the suggestions. I should have mentioned that I'm using the default mail app in the iPhone 6 and Thunderbird on my laptop and desktop PC. No such thing as a Thunderbird app for iPhone. It seems that no matter what I do, the iPhone deletes email from the server whether I use IMAP or POP. This problem occurs with my two Comcast accounts, a Gmail account, and a Yahoo account. I've discovered that Gmail makes it difficult to use POP--it's obvious Google prefers IMAP. Still, I can't figure out why the iPhone deletes mail from the server, even when it's set not to do so.

I apologize for the late response in this thread--I usually respond quicker.

When I can tinker with it, I'll try again and double check the settings, as suggested.

gogreen, Aug 17, 2016
  8. No apologies necessary - work on the issue when you have the time.

Gmail requires you enable POP3: Enabling POP - Gmail Help
    Most providers prefer IMAP because you can manage mail in all folders between devices and the server
    POP3 only delivers items in the Inbox

For POP3 setups, there's usually a setting in the eMail client that controls whether or not mail is left on the Server when it's downloaded

This sounds fairly close to what you're trying to do
    IMAP at work to read, POP3 at home so TB will add mails to my archive? | Thunderbird Support Forum | Mozilla Support

It doesn't directly answer the question about deleting eMail, but it might give you some ideas

Bill

Slartybart, Aug 17, 2016
  9. Wullail Win User
    IF you add the command recent: to your login details on all your devices when using POP3 it should just download the emails instead of downloading them and marking them all as read (which is why they're not arriving on your other devices.)

So

Login : recent:john@smiths.email.com
    Pass : Whateveritis

instead of

Login : L: john@smiths.email.com
    Pass : Whateveritis

That's a COLON by the way between recent and john.

Wullail, Aug 17, 2016
  10. gogreen Win User
    Thanks, Bill and Wullail.

For me, I had to delete my email accounts on the iPhone and then re-create them as POP accounts--no small task. You have to enter jibberish email account credentials first so that the iPhone can't recognize them. Then it will allow you to create an account manually, choosing either IMAP or POP. If others are reading this and trying it, it's the only way to create a POP account on the iPhone 6 in the default iPhone 6 mail app--in my experience.

I set all my iPhone mail accounts to keep emails on their servers for a month.

In Thunderbird on my desktop PC and laptop, my emails accounts are also POP, matching the month-long "keep emails on the server" setting.

Gmail apparently doesn't want users to use POP--its "recent" setting loads the last 25 emails. That's a royal pain for me because I keep up to date on email and I don't need to see 25 at a time.

I tested all this last night, and this seems to work.

Thanks, all, again. *Cool

gogreen, Aug 17, 2016
  11. Glad you got it sorted gogreen.

I've never used the Login recent:emailaddress trick on a mail client. Did you opt to not use it then?

Slartybart, Aug 17, 2016
  12. gogreen Win User

Yeah, I'm no longer using it. It loaded tons of email I'd already seen. I think Gmail is the only one that requires use of recent:emailaddress if you want to set up a Gmail POP account on the iPhone. *Sad

My wife and I receive most of our business email via our Comcast account, and that's working great now--POP accounts without the recent... requirement.

gogreen, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Prevent deletion of email from servers - Similar Threads - Prevent deletion email

2. Is there a setting in the Windows 11 email that will delete emails from the email server?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Is there a setting in the Windows 11 email that will delete emails from the email server?: Hello,I have roadrunner and presently Windows 11 is not deleting the emails from the RR server when I read them and delete them from Windows mail. The old OUTLOOK I was usuing did. Is there a way I can have the windows eamil delete the emails from the RR server?Thanks!...
  3. Is there a setting in the Windows 11 email that will delete emails from the email server?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Is there a setting in the Windows 11 email that will delete emails from the email server?: Hello,I have roadrunner and presently Windows 11 is not deleting the emails from the RR server when I read them and delete them from Windows mail. The old OUTLOOK I was usuing did. Is there a way I can have the windows eamil delete the emails from the RR server?Thanks!...
  4. Windows 10 email - deleting folders, deleting emails from folders

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows 10 email - deleting folders, deleting emails from folders: Windows 10 email has deleted all my folder from my mail. I re-added a number of folder which are all still there but now the emails that have been put in there have been deleted also. It is doing this by itself... Help...
  5. email servers

in Windows 10 Customization
    email servers: How do I move or copy Folders on Incredimail server to Thunderbird server https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/email-servers/19dc0911-e253-4742-8645-eefbd08c0f11
  6. how to prevent the windows 10 Mail app from automatically deleting the email after the...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    how to prevent the windows 10 Mail app from automatically deleting the email after the...: I am using the Mail app come with Windows 10 to access my emails from hotmail.com and outlook.com. However, every time after I accept a meeting invitation the invitation email will be automatically deleted from the inbox. This behavior is extreme annoying and how can I...
  7. SERVER ERROR - The server encountered an unexpected condition that prevented it from...

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    SERVER ERROR - The server encountered an unexpected condition that prevented it from...: Click on SIGN UP for FREE button in Get Microsoft Teams for free Key in user name and password After that i am getting : Error 500 TTP500: SERVER ERROR - The server encountered an unexpected condition that prevented it from fulfilling the request. (XHR): GET -...
  8. Outlook 10 deletes emails and doesn't save on the server

in Browsers and Email
    Outlook 10 deletes emails and doesn't save on the server: My outlook 7 kept all emails in the inbox till I deleted them, I now have office 10 outlook and emails are deleted automatically and NOT saved indefinitely. I've gone through tutorials that say to change settings in the advanced internet email settings tab to not delete...
  9. My server automatically delete all received emails

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    My server automatically delete all received emails: It doesn’t matter what device I am using, and what protocol is set up (POP3 or IMAP) my emails are automatically deleted off my inbox at the moment I get them. I am speaking about Windows 10 and Mail 10 app....
  10. Thumbnail Cache - Prevent Windows from Deleting

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Thumbnail Cache - Prevent Windows from Deleting: Hey guys, just made the upgrade from Win7 and I am wondering how to do this as the title suggests, I remember there being such a thing to do this here over at the sevenforums but this method is no longer working for Windows 10, so I am wondering if someone can please help me...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. pop3 setting to prevent server deletion