Windows 10: Prevent File Explorer from starting up when I create a new file

Discus and support Prevent File Explorer from starting up when I create a new file in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Using Total Commander mostly. Example: Downloaded a zip file, right clicked on it and selected Extract All from context menu. A new folder was... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by tcebob, Aug 9, 2017.

1. tcebob Win User

Prevent File Explorer from starting up when I create a new file

Using Total Commander mostly.

Example: Downloaded a zip file, right clicked on it and selected Extract All from context menu. A new folder was created and Explorer started immediately with the new folder. I don't harbor a grudge against File Explorer but one file manager at a time is enough. If I want to open the new folder I know how.

:)

tcebob, Aug 9, 2017

2. File Explorer has gone crazy after last nights upgrade.

My only has icons instead of full descriptions. I can not get back to a point where I have tabs that actually say something. Please tell me how to get my view repaired? help... Help.... HELP!!!

File Explorer, Aug 9, 2017
  3. sba923 Win User
    How do I prevent iTunes from starting up when I launch the Windows Phone app for desktop?

My Windows 8.1 laptop has iTunes installed since my wife's phone is an iPhone and we therefore need iTunes for e.g. backing up the iPhone.

My phone is a Windows Phone 8.1-based Lumia 830 and I kinda obviously don't want to use iTunes with that phone (I want to use File Explorer, Windows Phone app, Windows Phone app for desktop... instead)).

Still, iTunes always fires up when I connect the Lumia to the PC and then launch the Windows Phone app for desktop.

How do I prevent this?

sba923, Aug 9, 2017
  4. dalchina New Member

Hi, with which program is zip associated? Perhaps what you are seeing is that zip is associated with explorer (i.e. you haven't a program like 7-zip or winrar installed and associated with zip) and so explorer opens as you'd expect.

I have zip associate with winrar, so the extract context options open that.

Can Total Commander open zips?

dalchina, Aug 10, 2017
  5. tcebob Win User
    Yes, it can. But it won't automatically create a new folder for it. Not that that's real painful. Anyway, Explorer starts in other cases (but I haven't taken notes). Like so many minor annoyances, it's not the end of the world

Later: It comes up when I plug in a usb drive.

tcebob, Aug 10, 2017
  6. dalchina New Member
    - that sounds like your Autoplay option. You can change that.

dalchina, Aug 10, 2017
  7. tcebob Win User
    dalchina, apologies for taking so long. Yes, I looked up autoplay and turned it off. Problem solved! Thanks for the tip.

tcebob, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Prevent File Explorer from starting up when I create a new file - Similar Threads - Prevent File Explorer

2. How do I prevent Appledouble files from showing in File Explorer?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I prevent Appledouble files from showing in File Explorer?: There are a couple of users in our company who use Macbooks. Since all of our files are stored in Dropbox, if either of the Mac users access files or folders there, their OS creates "Appledouble" file entries prefixed with "._".I know the reasons why these entries are...
  3. Creating Files on File Explorer

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Creating Files on File Explorer: I was wondering if it is possible to save a pre made folder when creating a new folder in file explorer so you wouldn't have to make the same folder every time?For example : I create a new folder with in that folder is nothing but I add new folders with there subjective...
  4. File Explorer Crashes When Creating New Folder

File Explorer Crashes When Creating New Folder: Just tonight, File Explorer started crashing every time I tried to create a new folder. I have rebooted my computer several times and tried multiple fixes. None have worked. And yes, this is a Windows 10 Computer I bought just a few months ago....
  5. File Explorer freezes when I try to create a new subfolder

File Explorer freezes when I try to create a new subfolder: Windows 10 File Explorer has started freezing when I try to create a new subfolder, particularly if I do so while trying to save a file from online. It completely freezes to the point that I have to go to Task Manager and stop Chrome (for some reason File Explorer isn't...
  6. File Explorer - Creating new folders

in Windows 10 Support
    File Explorer - Creating new folders: Windows 1909 and before. Issue: When I try to create a new folder in File Explorer I can only type one letter then File Explorer acts like I pressed enter. For example if I Create a try to creater called " File Explorer will only let me create a folder called "j" The work...
  7. File Explorer not opening when choosing from START

in Windows 10 Customization
    File Explorer not opening when choosing from START: I'm curious if others are experiencing the following anomaly: 1) File Explorer is "pinned" to the Start menu (Windows 7 style view, i.e., not full menu) 2) File Explorer is opened from the Start menu (first time) -- File Explorer opens with no trouble or time delay 3) File...
  8. File explorer crashes when creating new folder!

File explorer crashes when creating new folder!: this only happens when creating a new folder, and only on my user... Whenever I try it on an alternate account, it doesn't happen... https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/file-explorer-crashes-when-creating-new-folder/a08bfd61-3538-4a89-87d7-33aa39006a63"
  9. "File Exists" Error When Creating New Folder in Explorer

in Windows 10 Support
    "File Exists" Error When Creating New Folder in Explorer: Got an odd one for you: A user is in File Explorer, right-clicks, and tries to create a new folder. She gets an error that says File Exists. There is already a folder called New Folder in the folder that she's currently in. As well as a New Folder (2), New Folder (3) etc....
  10. File Explorer freezes when creating new folders

File Explorer freezes when creating new folders: Hi, My problem is exactly as the title says. Every time I try to create a new folder, File Explorer freezes and then crashes after about a minute or two. I really wanna fix this as I am a student and need folders to organize my files but I don't really know how to proceed...