Windows 10: Prevent games from disabling global key bindings.

Discus and support Prevent games from disabling global key bindings. in Windows 10 Gaming to solve the problem; Dark Souls, most Bethesda games and a few others love locking global hotkeys, IE I have ctrl and pageup to fast forward to skip ads on podcasts, it... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Gaming' started by ZippyDSMlee, Aug 11, 2016.

1. Prevent games from disabling global key bindings.

Dark Souls, most Bethesda games and a few others love locking global hotkeys, IE I have ctrl and pageup to fast forward to skip ads on podcasts, it gets annoying when I have to alt tab away.... The media keys work half the time but only for default player/pause,stop,next,previous....

:)

ZippyDSMlee, Aug 11, 2016
  2. BossDweeb Win User

Why can't I disable default windows short-cuts?

What game would use Alt+TAB as a command ? That would be crazy. Or are you saying you hit them accidentally

in the heat of battle ?

If a game does not have an option to re-bind keys you are out of luck, unless you can open the games configuration

file in notepad and change the key binding there.

Or, maybe you can use a controller so you can't hit the wrong combo when you get excited ?

- Some keyboards have a key that allows you to disable the Windows key as this is the one most commonly hit in the heat of action.

- You can also disable the Windows key through Windows, which will prevent most keyboard shortcuts, and accidentally minimising games.

how-to-enable-or-disable-the-keyboard-windows-key

- The reason you can't rebind Windows shorcuts is you would have to switch them back to default when you quit the game,

or potentially cause issues due to the keyboard being out of whack, which could cause issues with software that uses keyboard

shortcuts (including game 'macro' key bindings).

I've never heard of it before (unless you are referring to the downloads in the MS article above, which I believe are just on/off Registry

keys), but a 3rd part software to disable Windows shortcuts while playing the game is probably a safer and quicker optionthan changing the key binding (an automated Registry key on/off tool ? ).

BossDweeb, Aug 11, 2016
  3. Chagrins Win User
    Why can't I disable default windows short-cuts?

Please, its so annoying to be in the middle of a game and suddenly it minimizes itself cause I pressed one of the billions of window's short-cuts. Specifically Alt+Tab is extremely inconvenient, why can't I re-bind these short cuts to other keys? I don't
    want to download a third party software to disable these short cuts like everyone suggests, and I can't re-bind these keys in game.

Chagrins, Aug 11, 2016
Thema:

Prevent games from disabling global key bindings.

1. Prevent games from disabling global key bindings. - Similar Threads - Prevent games disabling

2. How to prevent popup "Threats found" from Defender? Partial (!) disabl

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    How to prevent popup "Threats found" from Defender? Partial (!) disabl: Sometimes when I copy large directory trees a popup from Windows Defender appears in the lower right corner telling me: Virus & threat protection Threats found Windows Defender Antivirus found treats. Get Details A bell rings and the copy operation of this file is aborted....
  3. DISABLE FULL SCREEN OPTIMIZATION GLOBALLY!

in Windows 10 Gaming
    DISABLE FULL SCREEN OPTIMIZATION GLOBALLY!: This is a very sore subject for me and I am sick and tired of these copy/paste answers from people who don't even know what they're talking about. There is no "if's and's or but's" about it. "Windows Fullscreen Optimizations" is terrible broken feature that nobody wants....
  4. How to prevent users from running certain games?

in Windows 10 Customization
    How to prevent users from running certain games?: Hello I have a internet cafe, many people come to my internet cafe and play games computers like Counter Strike, Dota and online games. I closed the access to their games in the firewall and registry, but after that I noticed that they installed the games on the USB device...
  5. Disable windows key in game mode?

Disable windows key in game mode?: Is there a way to disable the windows key when you enable game mode? This would seem like an obvious feature and would be incorporated into the game mode feature, but I couldn't find it....
  6. assembly bind log

assembly bind log: how do you activate the assembly bind log? aoyagi https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/assembly-bind-log/a385c748-71a7-4620-bec9-05830dc4b9f7
  7. Global hot keys won't work in Express Scribe

Global hot keys won't work in Express Scribe: I just started using Windows 10 and find that the global hot keys that I use with Express Scribe aren't working. Funny thing is, when I first loaded everything, it did work. Then it stopped. Is there a fix for this?...
  8. Global send keys

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Global send keys: Good day, I am looking for global send keys for the "Windows logo key" like the following can be used to press the PrtScr button: "%({PRTSC})" Would you be able to assist? Thank you....
  9. How would I bind a key to change current on screen games?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How would I bind a key to change current on screen games?: So I'm trying to play two games at once, I want to be able to alt tab between them with ease. How would I set that up? Thanks *Biggrin Fullscreen windowed games, too. 29069
  10. http binds to port 80 in Win 10, and cannot be disabled

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    http binds to port 80 in Win 10, and cannot be disabled: Having upgraded to Win 10, I was pleasantly surprised at how well everything went, until I tried to start my Apache web server. Even though IIS is not installed, there is a http daemon running, that is (a) bound to port 80, and (b) doesn't appear in the services panel. So I...