Windows 10: Prevent games from disabling global key bindings.

Discus and support Prevent games from disabling global key bindings. in Windows 10 Gaming to solve the problem; Dark Souls, most Bethesda games and a few others love locking global hotkeys, IE I have ctrl and pageup to fast forward to skip ads on podcasts, it... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Gaming' started by ZippyDSMlee, Aug 11, 2016.

1. Prevent games from disabling global key bindings.

Dark Souls, most Bethesda games and a few others love locking global hotkeys, IE I have ctrl and pageup to fast forward to skip ads on podcasts, it gets annoying when I have to alt tab away.... The media keys work half the time but only for default player/pause,stop,next,previous....

:)

ZippyDSMlee, Aug 11, 2016
  2. BossDweeb Win User

Why can't I disable default windows short-cuts?

What game would use Alt+TAB as a command ? That would be crazy. Or are you saying you hit them accidentally

in the heat of battle ?

If a game does not have an option to re-bind keys you are out of luck, unless you can open the games configuration

file in notepad and change the key binding there.

Or, maybe you can use a controller so you can't hit the wrong combo when you get excited ?

- Some keyboards have a key that allows you to disable the Windows key as this is the one most commonly hit in the heat of action.

- You can also disable the Windows key through Windows, which will prevent most keyboard shortcuts, and accidentally minimising games.

how-to-enable-or-disable-the-keyboard-windows-key

- The reason you can't rebind Windows shorcuts is you would have to switch them back to default when you quit the game,

or potentially cause issues due to the keyboard being out of whack, which could cause issues with software that uses keyboard

shortcuts (including game 'macro' key bindings).

I've never heard of it before (unless you are referring to the downloads in the MS article above, which I believe are just on/off Registry

keys), but a 3rd part software to disable Windows shortcuts while playing the game is probably a safer and quicker optionthan changing the key binding (an automated Registry key on/off tool ? ).

BossDweeb, Aug 11, 2016
  3. Chagrins Win User
    Why can't I disable default windows short-cuts?

Please, its so annoying to be in the middle of a game and suddenly it minimizes itself cause I pressed one of the billions of window's short-cuts. Specifically Alt+Tab is extremely inconvenient, why can't I re-bind these short cuts to other keys? I don't
    want to download a third party software to disable these short cuts like everyone suggests, and I can't re-bind these keys in game.

Chagrins, Aug 11, 2016
Thema:

Prevent games from disabling global key bindings.

1. Prevent games from disabling global key bindings. - Similar Threads - Prevent games disabling

2. Faulty Key binds

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Faulty Key binds: Hi,Suddenly as i was typing three of my key binds q, w, and e stopped responding. As i looked for ways to fix it like updating my keyboard drivers, the key binds came back to life and i was able to type for a very short period of time. From then they have not worked and a day...
  3. Faulty Key binds

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Faulty Key binds: Hi,Suddenly as i was typing three of my key binds q, w, and e stopped responding. As i looked for ways to fix it like updating my keyboard drivers, the key binds came back to life and i was able to type for a very short period of time. From then they have not worked and a day...
  4. Keyboard binding to random keys when playing games

Keyboard binding to random keys when playing games: Whenever I play a game on steam or epic games store, the majority of my keys on my wired keyboard randomly stops working properly. It works for a bit in the beginning though. This issue only happens when I play a game. It works normally with browsers, Microsoft word, etc.I...
  5. Keyboard binding to random keys when playing games

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Keyboard binding to random keys when playing games: Whenever I play a game on steam or epic games store, the majority of my keys on my wired keyboard randomly stops working properly. It works for a bit in the beginning though. This issue only happens when I play a game. It works normally with browsers, Microsoft word, etc.I...
  6. Shortcut key binding...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Shortcut key binding...: I've already used "CTRL + Alt + P" for other supposed for A thing but I uninstalled it. Now I want to bind the same key combination CTRL + Alt + P for other supposed for B thing. But Win doesn't allowing me to do it.Any ideas around it?I also don't know where to categories...
  7. Shortcut key binding...

Shortcut key binding...: I've already used "CTRL + Alt + P" for other supposed for A thing but I uninstalled it. Now I want to bind the same key combination CTRL + Alt + P for other supposed for B thing. But Win doesn't allowing me to do it.Any ideas around it?I also don't know where to categories...
  8. useful key binds

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    useful key binds: BOOT: f2* and f12sign in: none currentlyin windows: ctrl alt delete, win + r , alt + tab some others im to lazy to list* this is pretty good because it goes into boot menu witch if the manufacture hasn't removed it looking at you kogan or given it a custom one im looking at...
  9. disable a global shortcut

in Windows 10 Customization
    disable a global shortcut: there is something strange Everywhere at my Windows 10 when I press Shift Alt Ctrl F9 a dialog box opens saying "Select Replacement Image" how can I disable that shortcut?...
  10. Cannot change Key bindings on many new games

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Cannot change Key bindings on many new games: Hi Recently wahtever game I install most of them ahve the option to cahange they keys, but everytime I change them, they wont take effect. I restart the game, sometimes I see the new keys which I change are shown there but no effect. Other times they just reset back to...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. games disables global hotkeys