Windows 10: Prevent iTunes from loading on startup

Discus and support Prevent iTunes from loading on startup in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Since I've upgraded to Windows 10, iTunes keeps loading on startup. I looked in the task manager under Startup, and disabled iTunesHelper. I don't see... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by charmon1605, Jul 31, 2015.

1. Prevent iTunes from loading on startup

Since I've upgraded to Windows 10, iTunes keeps loading on startup. I looked in the task manager under Startup, and disabled iTunesHelper. I don't see any other apps listed under Startup that are associated with iTunes or any other apple software.

Am I missing something? It's a little annoying having iTunes loading on startup.

:)

charmon1605, Jul 31, 2015

2. itunes will not load. shows a windows 2 error

I lost a redistributable c++ 2005 file that prevented iTunes from loading.

Keith_Dickinson, Jul 31, 2015
  3. iTunes in Win 10

Many thanks for this. I did a clean boot, and iTunes did not load, however, I was still unable to trace a cause for the issue and, upon re-booting, iTunes once again loaded on startup. I have since, however, been able to resolve the issue. Prevent iTunes from loading on startup :))

In sheer desperation, I checked everywhere in the Windows registry and could find no reason for iTunes to auto start. Logically then, I considered that perhaps Windows wasn't the culprit and it may be another programme calling on iTunes. With this in mind,
    I revisited my startup list and disabled all programmes (even though none were Apple related). Bingo, no iTunes loading!

Having determined that it was, in fact, one of my startup programmes causing the issue, I set about enabling them in batches, and eventually narrowed it down to Plex Media Server. Every time it started, it bought iTunes along for the ride. Nice.

A quick visit to the Plex forums revealed that, since version 12.2, iTunes no longer generates a physical XML file for its library database by default. When I re-created my iTunes library following the initial problem, no new XML file was created. Plex was
    therefore starting iTunes in order to gain access to access my music library.

The cure was simple: Just a single tick needed in iTunes in a box: "Share itunes XML with other apps". This forces iTunes to create a physical xml file, and keeps Plex happy.

It took me the best part of 3 days to sort, but things are now running as they should, and hopefully this post may help anyone else in a similar situation.

In hindsight, it was having Plex running at startup which sent me in the wrong direction, as I had assumed that it was the Windows startup routine that was firing up iTunes. A frustrating issue, but on this occasion, Windows 10 is not guilty, and I can resume
    loving it once more! Prevent iTunes from loading on startup :)

Again, many thanks for taking the time to respond, it really is much appreciated.

Cliff

Teflon_Tom, Jul 31, 2015
  4. eLPuSHeR Win User

Prevent iTunes from loading on startup

SysInternals (now MS) Autoruns

eLPuSHeR, Jul 31, 2015
  5. I ran Autoruns, Unless I'm overlooking something, I don't see anything that is causing iTunes to load at startup. I did a filter for anything Apple related, only noticed some Appledriver and bonjour service entries. I didn't disable those because they shouldn't be causing this.

6. I also tried Ccleaner. Same as Autoruns, I'm not seeing anything there that is causing iTunes to startup.

7. Go to Services, find the itunes service(s) and change startup type to 'Manual'

Remian8985, Jul 31, 2015
  8. Prevent iTunes from loading on startup

All I see under services is iPod Service, and it is already set to manual.

9. Do any of you use iTunes? And have you noticed this same issue?

10. YOU
    You Win User
    Press Winkey+R, type shell:startup, and press Enter. Is iTunes there? Or is there an option in the iTunes settings to disable automatic startup?

11. I can't even install that sh*t. Getting bunch of error messages. Apple can't make software, when they do, they make things so coercive. :/

Remian8985, Aug 1, 2015
  12. The only thing that shows up when I do shell:startup is Sidebar107.

As far as the settings in iTunes I don't see that option anywhere. As far as I know it was never an option in older versions of iTunes or Windows, that's why I'm confused it keeps loading on startup. There is a setting in iTunes that you can enable/disable iTunes from automatically launching or syncing when an iPhone or whatever is connected, but I don't have the iPhone connected during startup.

I'm about to try to uninstall iTunes and restart computer, then reinstall iTunes to see if it helps.

charmon1605, Aug 1, 2015
  13. Prevent iTunes from loading on startup

I reinstalled iTunes and experiencing the same issue

charmon1605, Aug 1, 2015
  14. abianc Win User
    abianc, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Prevent iTunes from loading on startup

1. Prevent iTunes from loading on startup - Similar Threads - Prevent iTunes loading

2. security preventing driver ew_usbccgpfilter.sys from loading

in Windows 10 Gaming
    security preventing driver ew_usbccgpfilter.sys from loading: trying to load cell phone onto new computer and keep getting security preventing driver ew_usbccgpfilter.sys from loading. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/security-preventing-driver-ewusbccgpfiltersys-from/04975dd0-e01b-415e-b449-6350db7635a5
  3. security preventing driver ew_usbccgpfilter.sys from loading

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    security preventing driver ew_usbccgpfilter.sys from loading: trying to load cell phone onto new computer and keep getting security preventing driver ew_usbccgpfilter.sys from loading. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/security-preventing-driver-ewusbccgpfiltersys-from/04975dd0-e01b-415e-b449-6350db7635a5
  4. Core Isolation preventing a driver from loading

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Core Isolation preventing a driver from loading: The driver "gdvr3.sys" was causing core isolation to turn off. After turning it back on and restarting, get the message that Core Isolation has blocked the driver from loading. However, it is not showing up under problems when I look under core isolation details. Not sure...
  5. Core Isolation preventing a driver from loading

Core Isolation preventing a driver from loading: The driver "gdvr3.sys" was causing core isolation to turn off. After turning it back on and restarting, get the message that Core Isolation has blocked the driver from loading. However, it is not showing up under problems when I look under core isolation details. Not sure...
  6. Fast Startup Preventing my PC from booting

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Fast Startup Preventing my PC from booting: So i decided to disable fast startup on Windows 10 to save energy, but since i did, i started having problems when booting. when i try to turn on my computer it enters like an iddle state, all the fans and rgb lighting turns on, but it doesn't post or shows any sing of...
  7. Itunes app will not load.

Itunes app will not load.: Itunes app will not load. I have tried updated software and it did not help. Called apple support and they could not help. suggested I call Microsoft https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/itunes-app-will-not-load/20ec58cc-7d99-4ac5-b786-91c80b0119b9
  8. iTunes Auto Loading at Startup

iTunes Auto Loading at Startup: Here's a tricky one for you (well I think it is anyway!) *Wink One of the casualties of my upgrade to Win 10 Home was my iTunes library. Basically, iTunes could no longer find my music, even though it hadn't moved. To cut a long story short, I ended up creating a new...
  9. iTunes Slow to Load

iTunes Slow to Load: iTunes is taking about 60s to load on my fast SSD based desktop PC when all other programs load within a few seconds. ITunes loads quickly once closed then restarted. I've tried the usual fixes of completely uninstalling & reinstalling iTunes, turning off syncing options &...
  10. Prevent Onedrive from Syncing at Startup

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Prevent Onedrive from Syncing at Startup: Is there a way to prevent Onedrive from syncing at startup or perhaps completely disable it altogether? My reason for doing it is quite obscure and I not sure I can explain. Thank you. 4197