Windows 10: Prevent "My Feeds" from Showing in Edge Start Page

Discus and support Prevent "My Feeds" from Showing in Edge Start Page in Browsers and Email to solve the problem; Hello all, I have been reading and following the community here for a while now. Thanks for all the indirect help! The expected behavior with my... Discussion in 'Browsers and Email' started by d355, Jun 27, 2017.

1. d355 Win User

Prevent "My Feeds" from Showing in Edge Start Page

Hello all,

I have been reading and following the community here for a while now. Thanks for all the indirect help!

The expected behavior with my settings of Edge, and what I see on every other Windows 10 setup, is that Edge should open with the "Where to Next?"/Top sites page without the "My Feed."

I am stuck on a unique Edge issue. The following settings are set on Edge:
    - Open Microsoft Edge with: Previous pages
    - Open new tabs with: Top sites

In addition, the following are set on Top sites, Customize, Page display settings for new tab page:
    - Top sites
    - Information cards greyed out

If I individually close all tabs (either ctrl-w or pressing the X on each tab) and then reopen Edge, the Top sites/My Feed always shows up. When opening new tabs the Top sites ONLY shows up.

Is there any method to disable a persistent "My Feeds" page from ALWAYS showing at start?
    The expected behavior with my settings of Edge, and what I see on every other Windows 10 setup, is that Edge should open with the "Where to Next?"/Top sites page without the "My Feed."

Thanks.

:)

2. Edge - No Home Page

Been there. For "Open Microsoft Edge with" it shows "Start Page". The Start Page is blank. and that is what I get for my home page. Before the latest update my home page was the one from MSN.

JamesStewart2, Jun 27, 2017
  3. KCColeBC Win User
    Windows 10 Start Page

I can change the start page to go to another URL, but that's not what I want to do. I want the START page to show me the sites I've most frequently visited -- and NOT show me any newsfeed.

My Google browser can do this...which is why I prefer it over Microsoft's "Edge". Unless there's a way to get rid of the ANNOYING and UNWANTED newsfeed, I'll continue using Google's browser.

KCColeBC, Jun 27, 2017
  4. Hydrate Win User

You sound like you want this setting, which works perfectly on my edition of Windows 10 Pro. What flavor of Windows 10 do you use?

Prevent "My Feeds" from Showing in Edge Start Page [​IMG]

If I close tabs completely, it shows my top sites. If I open new tabs, it's only top sites.

If I open Edge, it shows my feed as well. This seems to actually be broken, Edge does not restore my tabs from last time.

You are not the only one here.

There is only my feed.

Hydrate, Jun 28, 2017
  5. d355 Win User
    I'm running Windows 10 Pro.

Have you tried the Powershell fix that resets Edge?
    Get-AppXPackage -AllUsers -Name Microsoft.MicrosoftEdge | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register “$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml” -Verbose}

I have tried that as well and it does not fix the issue I am having. I have tried several Windows 10 machines and they all seem to work fine. For some reason, my Edge always displays "My Feeds" on a Start Page.

6. Hydrate Win User
    Well, now it seems to work for me! Great fix. Thank you! Haha. Adding this to my script collection.

That command works excellently.

I suggest that you enter the command in yourself one more time, open a few random websites, and finally click the X.

It will ask are you sure to close all tabs? Then you Check off Always it close all tabs and then press Close tabs.

Reopen and hopefully there is a little magic!

Hydrate, Jun 28, 2017
  7. d355 Win User
    Glad it worked for you! I have tried the fix multiple times; does not work. I have even gone through some recommended registry tweaks, deleted Edge files/folders, reset settings, and read many posts and troubleshooting guides. Nothing works.

Opening previously closed tabs (the issue you were having) works fine for me. Except that if I close all the tabs individually, then my start page shows the My Feeds again when the expected behavior should be "Top sites."

8. Hydrate Win User

Perhaps you can try a component store health check to see if your Edge is malfunctioning as a result.

Run this in a PowerShell Window:
    Code: dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth[/quote] This may prove to do you some good, then attempt another repair of Edge using the other PS command.

Hydrate, Jun 28, 2017
  9. d355 Win User
    Unfortunately, I already tried the dism.

Tried one more time per your recommendation. Did not work -- Edge will always open Top Sites with "My Feed" as a start page (if there are no previously opened tabs of course; otherwise it opens those tabs).

Thanks for the help.

10. Hydrate Win User
    Well, as a final resort, you can enter Safe Mode on Windows 10 by following this thread by Brink.

Boot to Advanced Startup Options in Windows 10 Windows 10 Installation Upgrade Tutorials

Play with Edge a little while and toy with the settings we've discussed and write back!

Hydrate, Jun 29, 2017
  11. d355 Win User
    Good idea. I went into Safe Mode and got this message when trying to launch Edge:

This app can't open
    MIcrosof Edge can't be opened using the Built-in Administrator account.

Do you know how to enable Edge to be used with the Administrator account? This is the only account I have on the machine. I already tried:

• Local security policy secpol.msc
    • Browse Local Policies/Security Options/"User Account Control Admin Approval Mode for the Built-in Administrator account"
    • Set policy to Enabled

12. Hydrate Win User
    Did you log in using the Built In Administrator account, or perhaps is that your current main account that you have been using this entire time?

Hydrate, Jun 29, 2017
  13. d355 Win User

I tried logged in to Safe Mode using both the Built In Administrator account and my self-created User account. On both accounts, in Safe Mode, I got this message when trying to run Edge (or any Win10 app):
    This app can't open
    MIcrosof Edge can't be opened using the Built-in Administrator account.

Oh, I also tried using Edge with the Administrator account during a normal bootup. Still, Edge will never open a Start Page without the My Feeds section.

Simply frustrating.

14. Hydrate Win User
    I cannot think of any other reason why Edge is not setting it's settings correctly. Perhaps someone else may help you, or you can reset your PC... if you would like help with that I can be of assistance.

EDIT: Have you attempted everything described here?

How to Reset Microsoft Edge in Windows 10

Such a strange issue.

Hydrate, Jun 30, 2017
  15. d355 Win User
    Yes, I tried everything listed in that link multiple times.
    I just finished the "start fresh" reset option. Did not work.

Then I tried a complete new install of Windows 10. Still, I get the same behavior. Perhaps this is the normal behavior.
    Seems like the Start page for Edge must always load the "My Feeds" section. Attached is a screenshot taken after a clean Windows 10 install.

Prevent "My Feeds" from Showing in Edge Start Page [​IMG]

Thema:

1. Prevent "My Feeds" from Showing in Edge Start Page - Similar Threads - Prevent Feeds Showing

2. Ho to Prevent Edge from Starting at Windows Startup

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Ho to Prevent Edge from Starting at Windows Startup: In my Task Manager>Start-Up I see an entry for 'Microsoft Edge.'I have found no way to turn this off with the exception of simply disabling it.I even deleted the entry from the Run in the registry. But upon restarting Windows, the entry is put back in.Is there a setting fore...
  3. Ho to Prevent Edge from Starting at Windows Startup

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Ho to Prevent Edge from Starting at Windows Startup: In my Task Manager>Start-Up I see an entry for 'Microsoft Edge.'I have found no way to turn this off with the exception of simply disabling it.I even deleted the entry from the Run in the registry. But upon restarting Windows, the entry is put back in.Is there a setting fore...
  4. my feed back not showing

in Windows 10 Gaming
    my feed back not showing: 3 separate feedback problems were submitted and that was 4 hours ago. None are showing under my feedback. Old stuff is there but nothing from the last 72hrs. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/my-feed-back-not-showing/038a1cf2-e1b7-4a21-8944-71223804b1f9
  5. my feed back not showing

my feed back not showing: 3 separate feedback problems were submitted and that was 4 hours ago. None are showing under my feedback. Old stuff is there but nothing from the last 72hrs. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/my-feed-back-not-showing/038a1cf2-e1b7-4a21-8944-71223804b1f9
  6. News Feed on my Edge home page

News Feed on my Edge home page: I think I have it figured out, I can't remove the News feed off my page, so, why not change my Browser to , say Fire Fox, or, Brave as an example. I think I'll go back to my Firefox, My Home page there is my own! No need for an answer, I probably won' t see it! Thank you...
  7. Edge feeds customization

Edge feeds customization: I am an Australian living in Canada. I want news from both countries and I want sports from both countries but I seem to be able to get either/or and US. I don't want US anything. Is there anyway I can select feeds from a list from anywhere in the world?...
  8. My feed has dissapeared from edge.

in Windows 10 Customization
    My feed has dissapeared from edge.: How do I get it back? Am I hacked or not. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-start/my-feed-has-dissapeared-from-edge/1073994a-d040-4357-add9-e6d4ed1feb70
  9. My Edge Start Page in is the Start page error

in Browsers and Email
    My Edge Start Page in is the Start page error: I set the setting to set the start page of Microsoft Edge browser to a blank page, but when I reopen it's still in the Start Page with those news headlines and such, I tried to adjust the settings, but it's still the same result. Need help. 101637
  10. Edge news feed on home page

in Browsers and Email
    Edge news feed on home page: Anyone notice an issue with it as from this morning (UK time approx. 10 am)? If I launch edge it's just displaying the search bar and top visited sites. The news feed / articles are missing in action. Maybe an issue MS side (at least I hope and that it's not my machine)....