Windows 10: Prevent notebook recovering from sleep by opening the lid

Discus and support Prevent notebook recovering from sleep by opening the lid in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hello everyone! I have a Sony and an HP notebook with Windows 10 installed. When the computer is on standby and I open the lid or click the mouse, the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by alexous, Mar 7, 2016.

1. alexous Win User

Prevent notebook recovering from sleep by opening the lid

Hello everyone! I have a Sony and an HP notebook with Windows 10 installed. When the computer is on standby and I open the lid or click the mouse, the computer turns on. Despite all the Energy settings in the control panel I cannot fix it. I want the laptop to open ONLY by pushing the power button, like in windows 8 before (i did a clean windows 10 installation not upgrade). In addition, the VAIO has the VAIO control center lid settings and I have properly configured the computer not to do anything when the lid closes or opens. Any ideas?

:)

alexous, Mar 7, 2016

2. How do I prevent the Laptop from waking up from sleep if the lid is opened

If I put my Lenovo W541 to sleep and open the lid, it wakes up automatically.

Is there any way to prevent this?

The lid close action is set to do nothing both in plugged-in and battery mode.

Yet the Laptop is waking up as soon as I open the lid.

I'd prefer only waking up from sleep mode if I press the power button.

Björn Kautler, Mar 7, 2016
  3. bass_gas Win User
    PC persists in shutting down instead of going to sleep.

Dell notebook refuses to sleep when the lid is closed. All settings are set to sleep for lid closure, screen timeout etc.

When the lid is closed the PC shuts down. Worked fine under W8.1.

bass_gas, Mar 7, 2016
  4. NavyLCDR New Member

Try looking here:
    1. open device manager
    2. in "System devices" find "ACPI lid"
    3. Open "ACPI lid" properties

I'm not at my laptop computer so I can't see the options listed. See if you can find a power tab in the properties somewhere and if Wake computer is an option that can be de-selected. Same for mouse and keyboard.

NavyLCDR, Mar 7, 2016
  5. bro67 Win User
    Power profile and Bios settings control the IRQ's that cause the wakeup command to be sent to the OS. You need to go into your Power Profile settings and change that behavior.

bro67, Mar 7, 2016
  6. alexous Win User
    Thank you very much for your time spent to answer me. In the Device Manager I didn't find anything related to the lid. The power settings in Windows are fine and the VAIO Control Center software as well. Specifically, the VCC has the options to choose what to do when the laptop lid opens but I have already set it to do nothing. Maybe the BIOS?

alexous, Mar 8, 2016
  7. bro67 Win User
    You will have to look at the bios. Use powercfg from the Command Window to troubleshoot.

My Toshiba Satellite has a setting that allows the Lid to wakeup the laptop as a setting in the bios.

If Sony uses their own software to control power settings, remove it and just use thr Balanced profile and make changes to the advanced settings and alao the settings about power button, lid, etc..

When you have Powercfg create the html file. Make sure that you point it to save in My Documents, by either running it from your My Documents folder. Otherwise it gets stuck in System32.

Even though this is for troubleshooting not waking up when lid is opened. It still applies.

Closing/Opening Lid does not sleep/wake up laptop - Sony's Community Site

bro67, Mar 8, 2016
  8. alexous Win User

I realized that I'm wrong. the notebooks do not turn on from sleep with the lid opening, so its fine. but when i turn on the wireless mouse the computer starts. how can i prevent it?

alexous, Mar 9, 2016
  9. bro67 Win User
    Actually you are correct on that laptops can be set to wake the computer out of sleep. Powercfg controls all IRQ settings and other power settings. List of all Powercfg commands. Powercfg Command-Line Options

See this for how to list commands that are under powercfg -devicequery wake_from_any so that you can disable the device to wake. Controlling which devices will wake the computer out of sleep | The Old New Thing

bro67, Mar 10, 2016
  10. alexous Win User
    Thanks a lot for the answer bro67. Is there any simpler way to do it, without the command prompt? The mouse is the Microsoft 1850 one.

alexous, Mar 11, 2016
  11. bro67 Win User
    The Powercfg is a God command. Once it is done, you do not have to do it again. It controls the Power Settings app in the gui.

bro67, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Prevent notebook recovering from sleep by opening the lid - Similar Threads - Prevent notebook recovering

2. Notebook display still on with lid closed

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Notebook display still on with lid closed: In Windows 10, when I close de lid the internal monitor was turn off and I could use 3 external monitor attached to a dock. Now, with Windows 11, when I close de lid, the internal monitor is still on and only two external monitor works. If I connect the third monitor windows...
  3. Notebook display still on with lid closed

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Notebook display still on with lid closed: In Windows 10, when I close de lid the internal monitor was turn off and I could use 3 external monitor attached to a dock. Now, with Windows 11, when I close de lid, the internal monitor is still on and only two external monitor works. If I connect the third monitor windows...
  4. Prevent windows from starting when I open the lid

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Prevent windows from starting when I open the lid: My Dell laptop always automatically booting when I open the lid and it is quite annoying. I was told to use command prompt to reveal the hidden option in the Power Options panel but it did not work. Is there an another way to turn this function off?Spec:Device name Laptop...
  5. Prevent windows from starting when I open the lid

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Prevent windows from starting when I open the lid: My Dell laptop always automatically booting when I open the lid and it is quite annoying. I was told to use command prompt to reveal the hidden option in the Power Options panel but it did not work. Is there an another way to turn this function off?Spec:Device name Laptop...
  6. Screen stays black after opening lid from sleep mode

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Screen stays black after opening lid from sleep mode: Simply put, every time I close my laptop lid enters sleep mode and reopen it, the screen stays black. I try waking it up by using my mouse and keyboard but nothing works. I have to do a force shutoff in order to get the screen working again. All of the windows updates are...
  7. Recovering from Hibernate or Sleep

in Windows 10 Support
    Recovering from Hibernate or Sleep: Since, I think, the last Windows Update, moving the mouse to recover from sleep or pressing power button to recover from hibernate, brings up a fresh and quite pleasant picture. Sometimes I click, or double click and it brings up the Windows "Sign In" box which I click and...
  8. How to prevent laptop from waking on lid open when hibernated?

in Windows 10 Support
    How to prevent laptop from waking on lid open when hibernated?: I have a thinkpad X230 (windows 10) and I would like to be able to open lid (when hibernated) without waking it. It is just fine to wake up by open lid when in sleep mode, but not for hibernation. I have tried: Power Options > System Settings > When i close the lid > do...
  9. Laptop not shuting on from sleep automatically after opening the lid

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Laptop not shuting on from sleep automatically after opening the lid: Hello there. I recently rebstarted my Sony Vaio laptop because of system problems and lost all Sony Vaio apps. After that the feature of closing the lid and the computer going into sleep was working but after i open the lid again I have to press the On Button so that the...
  10. OneNote, prevent automatic opening of notebook

in Microsoft Office and 365
    OneNote, prevent automatic opening of notebook: Hello all, I apologize if this is a general question, I just have not been able to find a clear answer for this and wanted to reach out to you all. Whenever I open OneNote on my computer, it automatically opens my last-opened notebook with it. This is a concern of mine,...