Windows 10: Prevent removed apps from reinstalling

Discus and support Prevent removed apps from reinstalling in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Hello all, There are a few apps that keep installing themselves even after I removed them. 3D builder, Get Office, etc. Is there a way, or a couple... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by DustSailor, Nov 16, 2015.

1. Prevent removed apps from reinstalling

Hello all,

There are a few apps that keep installing themselves even after I removed them. 3D builder, Get Office, etc. Is there a way, or a couple ways to get them to NOT install once I remove them? Or to at the very least block them from functioning (example, the Get Office app notifies me about getting office all the time).

Thanks!

:)

DustSailor, Nov 16, 2015
  2. RonJP Win User

reinstall apps

If a user clicks on a Start Menu tile Uninstall, believing that it just removes the app from the Start Menu, it actually removes the app partly from the computer. If you try to re-install it, it says it cannot do that since it is already installed, and
    if you try to uninstall it again, it says it has already been uninstalled. So they are stuck in this condition. The only way to totally remove it is to format the hard disk and then reinstall windows. The bug is that it should completely remove the app,
    or else prevent people from accidently uninstalling it.

RonJP, Nov 16, 2015
  3. Reinstalling apps removed during reset

Need help with how to reinstall apps that were removed when I reset my pc (kept files)

Reason for needing help:

all the guides require a backup to have been made, or just tell you how to reset but not reinstall.

list of what I need help with:

Adobe Flash Player 26 NPAPI
    Adobe Systems Incorporated

Adobe Reader XI (11.0.03) MUI
    Adobe Systems Incorporated

Akamai NetSession Interface
    Akamai Technologies, Inc

Alcor Micro USB Card Reader
    Alcor Micro Corp.

Apple Application Support (32-bit)
    Apple Inc.

Apple Application Support (64-bit)
    Apple Inc.

Apple Mobile Device Support
    Apple Inc.

Apple Software Update
    Apple Inc.

Bonjour
    Apple Inc.

CyberLink PowerDVD 12
    CyberLink Corp.

Dragon Assistant Application en-US version 1.5.11
    Nuance Communications, Inc.

Dragon Assistant Core Recognition Service version 1.1.12

Dragon Assistant Installer version 1.5.11

Dragon Assistant Language Data en-US version 1.1.4

DTS Studio Sound
    DTS, Inc.

IDT Audio Driver
    IDT

Intel(R) Management Engine Components
    Intel Corporation

Intel(R) Processor Graphics
    Intel Corporation

Intel(R) Rapid Storage Technology
    Intel Corporation

Intel(R) Wireless Bluetooth(R) 4.0
    Intel Corporation

Intel® Driver Update Utility
    Intel

Intel® PROSet/Wireless Software
    Intel Corporation

iTunes
    Apple Inc.

Java 8 Update 77
    Oracle Corporation

Microsoft Office 365 ProPlus - en-us
    Microsoft Corporation

Microsoft OneDrive
    Microsoft Corporation

Microsoft Silverlight
    Microsoft Corporation

Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 Redistributable
    Microsoft Corporation

Microsoft Corporation

Microsoft Corporation

Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable - x86 9.0.30729.17
    Microsoft Corporation

Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable - x86 9.0.30729.4148
    Microsoft Corporation

Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable - x86 9.0.30729.6161
    Microsoft Corporation

Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 x64 Redistributable - 10.0.40219
    Microsoft Corporation

Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 x86 Redistributable - 10.0.40219
    Microsoft Corporation

Microsoft Visual C++ 2012 Redistributable (x64) - 11.0.61030
    Microsoft Corporation

Microsoft Visual C++ 2012 Redistributable (x86) - 11.0.61030
    Microsoft Corporation

Microsoft Visual C++ 2013 Redistributable (x86) - 12.0.30501
    Microsoft Corporation

Microsoft Visual C++ 2015 Redistributable (x64) - 14.0.23918
    Microsoft Corporation

Microsoft Visual C++ 2015 Redistributable (x86) - 14.0.24215
    Microsoft Corporation

Microsoft Visual Studio 2015 Tools for Unity
    Microsoft Corporation

Microsoft XNA Framework Redistributable 4.0
    Microsoft Corporation

PlayReady PC Runtime amd64
    Microsoft Corporation

Qualcomm Atheros Inc.(R) AR81Family Gigabit/Fast Ethernet Driver
    Qualcomm Atheros Inc.

Toshiba App Place
    Toshiba

TOSHIBA Application Installer
    Toshiba Corporation

TOSHIBA Audio Enhancement
    Toshiba Corporation

Toshiba Book Place
    K-NFB Reading Technology, Inc.

TOSHIBA Display Utility
    Toshiba Corporation

TOSHIBA eco Utility
    Toshiba Corporation

TOSHIBA Function Key
    Toshiba Corporation

TOSHIBA HDD Protection
    Toshiba Corporation

TOSHIBA Password Utility
    Toshiba Corporation

TOSHIBA Quality Application
    TOSHIBA

TOSHIBA Recovery Media Creator
    Toshiba Corporation

TOSHIBA Service Station
    Toshiba Corporation

TOSHIBA Start
    TOSHIBA America Information Systems, Inc

TOSHIBA System Driver
    Toshiba Corporation

TOSHIBA System Settings
    Toshiba Corporation

TOSHIBA User's Guide
    TOSHIBA

TOSHIBARegistration
    TOSHIBA

Unity
    Unity Technologies ApS
    5.2.3f1

Unity Web Player
    Unity Technologies ApS
    5.2.3f1

WildTangent Games
    WildTangent

Windows 10 Update and Privacy Settings
    Microsoft Corporation

The best way to help is not to say to look it up/provide a guide

The best way to help is to provide links to where I can download/reinstall the above listed items

michael goodman, Nov 16, 2015
  4. Prevent removed apps from reinstalling

I have removed them and they do not reinstall, unless you run SFC scan or a restore from an image.
    Anyway, when you go to Settings - Privacy - Background apps - you can block notifications there.

TairikuOkami, Nov 16, 2015
  5. lx07 Win User
    Right click uninstall only uninstalls for current user. You may want to uninstall the AppxProvisionedPackage as well as the AppxPackage. So for 3d builder, from powershell: Code: $app="Microsoft.3DBuilder" Get-AppxPackage -Name $app -AllUsers | Remove-AppxPackage Get-AppXProvisionedPackage -Online | where DisplayName -EQ $app | Remove-AppxProvisionedPackage -Online[/quote] if you want to remove more just delete the ones you want to keep from this code (or comment them with a #) then copy/paste into administrator powershell window and press enter: Code: $apps=@( "9E2F88E3.Twitter" "ClearChannelRadioDigital.iHeartRadio" "Flipboard.Flipboard" "king.com.CandyCrushSodaSaga" "Microsoft.3DBuilder" "Microsoft.BingFinance" "Microsoft.BingNews" "Microsoft.BingSports" "Microsoft.BingWeather" "Microsoft.CommsPhone" "Microsoft.Getstarted" #"Microsoft.Messaging" "Microsoft.MicrosoftOfficeHub" "Microsoft.MicrosoftSolitaireCollection" "Microsoft.Office.OneNote" "Microsoft.Office.Sway" "Microsoft.People" "Microsoft.SkypeApp" "Microsoft.Windows.Phone" "Microsoft.Windows.Photos" "Microsoft.WindowsAlarms" #"Microsoft.WindowsCalculator" "Microsoft.WindowsCamera" "Microsoft.WindowsMaps" "Microsoft.WindowsPhone" "Microsoft.WindowsSoundRecorder" "Microsoft.XboxApp" "Microsoft.ZuneMusic" "Microsoft.ZuneVideo" #"microsoft.windowscommunicationsapps" "Microsoft.MinecraftUWP" "ShazamEntertainmentLtd.Shazam" ) foreach ($app in $apps) { Get-AppxPackage -Name $app -AllUsers | Remove-AppxPackage Get-AppXProvisionedPackage -Online | where DisplayName -EQ $app | Remove-AppxProvisionedPackage -Online $appPath="$Env:LOCALAPPDATA\Packages\$app*" Remove-Item $appPath -Recurse -Force -ErrorAction 0 }[/quote] Then as @TairikuOkami says they'll only come back if you do an upgrade or restore.

6. I've had some of those default installed Apps reinstall in Windows 8.1 a couple of times in the past. Very annoying to say the least. Can't say as it's happened in 10 though. Not that I noticed anyway. I hope that's not going to a trend every patch Tuesday. Microsoft seems to be adding to the list of default installed Apps too. Candy Crush Saga, Minecraft, really? *Rolleyes

alphanumeric, Nov 16, 2015
  7. Do you you use MS account to sign into Windows? If yes, maybe it just synced owned apps.

TairikuOkami, Nov 16, 2015
  8. Prevent removed apps from reinstalling

I use a Microsoft ID. I haven't seen Sync actually install Apps. The few I do use I have to install manually on each PC.

alphanumeric, Nov 16, 2015
  9. pyramid10 Win User
    After my upgrade to TH2, I stopped Windows Update, uninstalled some of the apps that were reinstalled. And there they were, after reading this thread. Something internal is doing 'repair' to reinstall these apps.

pyramid10, Nov 16, 2015
  10. Office reinstalled itself. I put the above-mentioned code in so let's see if that does the trick this time.

Right away, I noticed the apps disappeared.

DustSailor, Nov 21, 2015
  11. hannelius Win User
    thanks... the code worked for me...
    they're all gone
    except mail, calculator, calendar, and the store...

i've done this before but windows update
    or something keeps putting them back...

edit: i found out if you use classic shell
    you can uninstall all of these...
    even the store...
    just by right clicking

and you get a nice start menu too...

hannelius, Nov 23, 2015
  12. So far, it appears to be working for a user. Thanks.

I would also mention that there's a registry area worth looking into:
    HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Local Settings\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\AppModel\PackageRepository\Packages

This one had double entries for each annoying app package before running your script.

This appears to mirror a hidden folder set under "C:\Program Files\WindowsApps" which doesn't want you to see it or review it. Seems to be easiest to see by opening up a command shell as Administrator and then changing into this directory manually. Note that even if you delete the apps they show up under, e.g., "C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\DeletedAllUserPackages" so Microsoft may have some mechanism of silently resurrecting these if they want to.

Note that 3D Builder re-installed itself multiple times on this computer. Sometimes it happened immediately after a logout/login event. Sometimes it did this after a period of 30 minutes inactivity. It's like, Microsoft knows that there is big money in the app world (going to school on Apple's iTunes) and they'll do anything to chase that money.

I wouldn't be so sure about these apps not returning at some date in the future when I've deployed this workstation to the end-user's desk. I for one think this is ridiculous for Microsoft to keep installing Xbox games on a business computer.

Justin Case, Jul 18, 2016
  13. Prevent removed apps from reinstalling

Yeah but you have to logout/login to find that they come back. You have to kill them also at the package repository level.

Justin Case, Jul 18, 2016
  14. illonus Win User
    if you want to remove more just delete the ones you want to keep from this code (or comment them with a #) then copy/paste into administrator powershell window and press enter: Code: $apps=@( "9E2F88E3.Twitter" "ClearChannelRadioDigital.iHeartRadio" "Flipboard.Flipboard" "king.com.CandyCrushSodaSaga" "Microsoft.3DBuilder" "Microsoft.BingFinance" "Microsoft.BingNews" "Microsoft.BingSports" "Microsoft.BingWeather" "Microsoft.CommsPhone" "Microsoft.Getstarted" #"Microsoft.Messaging" "Microsoft.MicrosoftOfficeHub" "Microsoft.MicrosoftSolitaireCollection" "Microsoft.Office.OneNote" "Microsoft.Office.Sway" "Microsoft.People" "Microsoft.SkypeApp" "Microsoft.Windows.Phone" "Microsoft.Windows.Photos" "Microsoft.WindowsAlarms" #"Microsoft.WindowsCalculator" "Microsoft.WindowsCamera" "Microsoft.WindowsMaps" "Microsoft.WindowsPhone" "Microsoft.WindowsSoundRecorder" "Microsoft.XboxApp" "Microsoft.ZuneMusic" "Microsoft.ZuneVideo" #"microsoft.windowscommunicationsapps" "Microsoft.MinecraftUWP" "ShazamEntertainmentLtd.Shazam" ) foreach ($app in $apps) { Get-AppxPackage -Name $app -AllUsers | Remove-AppxPackage Get-AppXProvisionedPackage -Online | where DisplayName -EQ $app | Remove-AppxProvisionedPackage -Online $appPath="$Env:LOCALAPPDATA\Packages\$app*" Remove-Item $appPath -Recurse -Force -ErrorAction 0 }[/quote] Then as @TairikuOkami says they'll only come back if you do an upgrade or restore.[/quote] Hi, first I would like to say thank you so much for this, it worked for me. What I wanna ask is how do I add a line for an additional $apppath within this code?
    For example if I wanna have $appPath="$Env:LOCALAPPDATA\Packages\$app*" and also $appPath="C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\$app*"

If anyone could enlighten me I would be grateful, thank you!

illonus, Aug 5, 2016
  15. lx07 Win User
    Well, you shouldn't have to delete from WindowsApps as the Remove-AppxProvisionedPackage command does that (at least for me in 14393 build ).

If it isn't (and I remember sometime in the past it wasn't) and you want to do it manually it would be like this...

Note that you can delete from %appdata% easily enough as your user owns it. You don't have authority to WindowsApps so you need to take ownership and grant yourself authority first or the Remove-Item will fail. This means you can't just duplicate the last 2 lines and stick them at the end of the foreach loop.

See below in red. I've also updated the list of apps from GitHub - W4RH4WK as there are more these days. This script was taken from that project in the first place.
    Code: $apps = @( # default Windows 10 apps "Microsoft.3DBuilder" "Microsoft.Appconnector" "Microsoft.BingFinance" "Microsoft.BingNews" "Microsoft.BingSports" "Microsoft.BingWeather" #"Microsoft.FreshPaint" "Microsoft.Getstarted" "Microsoft.MicrosoftOfficeHub" "Microsoft.MicrosoftSolitaireCollection" #"Microsoft.MicrosoftStickyNotes" "Microsoft.Office.OneNote" #"Microsoft.OneConnect" "Microsoft.People" "Microsoft.SkypeApp" #"Microsoft.Windows.Photos" "Microsoft.WindowsAlarms" #"Microsoft.WindowsCalculator" "Microsoft.WindowsCamera" "Microsoft.WindowsMaps" "Microsoft.WindowsPhone" "Microsoft.WindowsSoundRecorder" #"Microsoft.WindowsStore" "Microsoft.XboxApp" "Microsoft.ZuneMusic" "Microsoft.ZuneVideo" "microsoft.windowscommunicationsapps" "Microsoft.MinecraftUWP" # Threshold 2 apps "Microsoft.CommsPhone" "Microsoft.ConnectivityStore" "Microsoft.Messaging" "Microsoft.Office.Sway" # non-Microsoft "9E2F88E3.Twitter" "Flipboard.Flipboard" "ShazamEntertainmentLtd.Shazam" "king.com.CandyCrushSaga" "king.com.CandyCrushSodaSaga" "king.com.*" "ClearChannelRadioDigital.iHeartRadio" #"TheNewYorkTimes.NYTCrossword" ) foreach ($app in $apps) { Write-Host "Removing " -noNewLine; Write-Host $app -f white # Need to hide the progress bar as otherwise it remains on the screen $ProgressPreference = "SilentlyContinue" Get-AppxPackage -Name $app -AllUsers | Remove-AppxPackage $ProgressPreference = "Continue" Get-AppXProvisionedPackage -Online | where DisplayName -EQ $app | Remove-AppxProvisionedPackage -Online $appPath="$Env:LOCALAPPDATA\Packages\$app*" Remove-Item $appPath -Recurse -Force -ErrorAction 0 $appPath = "$apppath = "C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\$app*" # take ownership takeown /f "$appPath" /r # Grant full rights to current user icacls "$appPath" --% /grant "%USERDOMAIN%\%USERNAME%"Prevent removed apps from reinstalling :(F) /t # Delete directory Remove-Item $appPath -Recurse -Force -ErrorAction 0 }[/quote] I've not tried this updated code as I've already uninstalled all my apps and the directories in WindowsApps were removed automatically for me. Let us know if it works OK or not...

Thema:

Prevent removed apps from reinstalling

1. Prevent removed apps from reinstalling - Similar Threads - Prevent removed apps

2. Is there a way to prevent GameInput Redistributable from reinstalling itself after I remove it?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Is there a way to prevent GameInput Redistributable from reinstalling itself after I remove it?: Hello, I'm having similar issues to this query posted nearly two years ago. Long story short, I'm fairly certain that the service Microsoft GameInput Redistributable is causing my Windows system to freeze on a near daily basis, particularly when it reinstalls or reconfigures...
  3. Is there a way to prevent GameInput Redistributable from reinstalling itself after I remove it?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Is there a way to prevent GameInput Redistributable from reinstalling itself after I remove it?: Hello, I'm having similar issues to this query posted nearly two years ago. Long story short, I'm fairly certain that the service Microsoft GameInput Redistributable is causing my Windows system to freeze on a near daily basis, particularly when it reinstalls or reconfigures...
  4. Is there a way to prevent GameInput Redistributable from reinstalling itself after I remove it?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. reinstall removed apps

reinstall removed apps: I had a system reset and in doing so most of my apps were removed https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/reinstall-removed-apps/f9c78e42-8649-40d1-9824-349b79d34d15
  6. Prevent Windows from reinstalling drivers

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Prevent Windows from reinstalling drivers: Hello, I am trying to prevent windows from reinstalling my old wifi drivers after I uninstall it. However, after every reboot it keeps coming back. Can you tell me how to disable it completely? I am using windows 10 home. Thank you....
  7. Is it possible to remove Onedrive \ prevent it from running ?

Is it possible to remove Onedrive \ prevent it from running ?: Hello We have 700+ Users , we would like to remove onedrive \ Prevent it from running from all of them due to information security reasons. Thank you Sharon Perets...
  8. Remove\prevent bloatware from Store

Remove\prevent bloatware from Store: Hi, While in Sysprep audit mode what is the cleanest way to remove the bloatware that MS inists upon installing from the Store? I have seen a few different scripts and the goal is to remove this crap and prevent it from returning. So assuming there is a good way of doing...
  9. Problem after removing and reinstalling apps

Problem after removing and reinstalling apps: So I am a new windows 10 user - got a new computer and it came with windows 10. I went looking for a way to remove the apps I didn't want, and got a bit excited and removed too many, so then I looked for a way to put them back, I followed all the directions and steps but I...
  10. How to prevent Nvidia drivers from reinstalling?

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    How to prevent Nvidia drivers from reinstalling?: Hello, In a previous thread, I described a problem I had where my USB mouse and keyboard would freeze frequently. I could not unfreeze a USB port, but mouse and keyboard would work if I changed ports. It was suggested that I completely uninstall all Nvidia drivers and...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. wild tangent games windows 10 download

2. C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\TheNewYorkTimes.NYTCrossword_1.5.0.0_x86__3q5wqmazkcmtm\