Windows 10: Prevent Win10 from overwriting config.nt on every major upgrade

Discus and support Prevent Win10 from overwriting config.nt on every major upgrade in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Is there a way to prevent WIndows 10 (pro) from overwriting config.nt every time there is a major update (ie creators update, etc)? I have a client... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by mcisar, Nov 28, 2017.

1. mcisar Win User

Prevent Win10 from overwriting config.nt on every major upgrade

Is there a way to prevent WIndows 10 (pro) from overwriting config.nt every time there is a major update (ie creators update, etc)?

I have a client who has a highly customized config.nt file required to operate a legacy DOS application. Every time there's a major windows update the file gets overwritten and their application stops functioning until I can get back in and restore the file from backup.

It's beyond me why MS would even feel the need to default a config file only used for legacy DOS apps. I don't recall any previous version of windows touching the file... ever.

Cheers!

:)

mcisar, Nov 28, 2017
  2. AllyBell Win User

How do I stop Win10 from trying to install Norton antivirus

I have '360 total security' on my laptop, and upgraded to Win10 from Win7 but after 2 months it's still trying to install Norton, every time I restart my laptop. How can I prevent this from happening

AllyBell, Nov 28, 2017
  3. KB4041676 update causing problems - prevent install?

Thanks. Would that prevent or overwrite 4041676 from installing then?

tommac-ved, Nov 28, 2017
Thema:

Prevent Win10 from overwriting config.nt on every major upgrade

1. Prevent Win10 from overwriting config.nt on every major upgrade - Similar Threads - Prevent Win10 overwriting

2. How to prevent automatic Windows 11 updates from overwriting critical driver versions?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to prevent automatic Windows 11 updates from overwriting critical driver versions?: I'm playing Warzone 3 on Windows 11, and this game requires an Intel graphics driver version 49 or higher to run properly. I download and install the latest driver version version 53 from Intel's website, and the game runs fine. However, Windows automatically attempts to...
  3. What's the command used to overwrite a program preventing the lock screen from starting?

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    What's the command used to overwrite a program preventing the lock screen from starting?: I remember using command prompt to overwrite OBS Studio which prevents the lock screen from starting, but I can't find the command anywhere online. Does anyone know the command?...
  4. Prevent Windows Overwriting Hosts File

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Prevent Windows Overwriting Hosts File: I've been editing my Windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts file for years to facilitate my work. As of a couple of days ago Windows has started overwriting this file with a clean version every time I boot up. I have tried making the file read-only and denying write permissions...
  5. prevent windows from changing bootloader config

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    prevent windows from changing bootloader config: Hello, is there a way to prevent windows from changing the bootloader config on windows update? I already set up bios password but that somehow does not prevent windows from changing it. submitted by /u/xlogiic2 [link] [comments]...
  6. Prevent windows from upgrading

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Prevent windows from upgrading: How can I prevent Windows from automatically upgrading. I have an older HP laptop which is currently running Windows 10 1709. And this machine works flawlessly. However, any update past 1709 i.e. 1803, 1809, 1903 or 1909 causes the machine not to work. The most common...
  7. Prevent Windows from overwriting other OS's bootloader

Prevent Windows from overwriting other OS's bootloader: Hi! Just as the title suggests, I'd like to prevent Windows from overwriting the bootloader. Currently I have several operating systems (none of them being Windows) in my computer and all of them are managed by a single bootloader which installed on the SSD, but I'd like to...
  8. Preventing Groove from overwriting file information after system updates

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Preventing Groove from overwriting file information after system updates: I have a lot of mp3 music which is ripped from my extensive CD collection (I went to live abroad and didn't have space for all my CDs). I like to have all my lists arranged and sorted, with accurate art. Several of my albums are but a compilation of different mp3 songs put...
  9. Windows Update preventing win10 upgrade

Windows Update preventing win10 upgrade: Toshiba Satelite Originally Vista, Upgraded to Win 7 Pro (32bit) SP1. Celeron Dual Core T3000 @ 1.80GHz 4GB RAM Background A few weeks ago the laptop's power seemed to just 'die' when booting up. When handed over to me, I managed to get Startup recovery running....
  10. Prevent Win10 from waking device?

in Windows 10 Support
    Prevent Win10 from waking device?: Hello, all device i updated to 10 (anniversary edition) wake from sleep by themselves & i'm not sure why. I checked events history but couldn't identify. Certainly related to (windows) update. How do i stop this? Thank you! 60731