Windows 10: Prevent Windows 10 Pro from restarting after updating through a GPO.

Discus and support Prevent Windows 10 Pro from restarting after updating through a GPO. in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Hi all, I'm having many issues since our company migrated our few hundred machines over to Windows 10 over the past few months. I put a lot of them... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by AchtungNate, Jul 26, 2016.

1. Prevent Windows 10 Pro from restarting after updating through a GPO.

Hi all,

I'm having many issues since our company migrated our few hundred machines over to Windows 10 over the past few months. I put a lot of them down to the teething troubles you experience with any relatively young OS but several are being very problematic and frankly look terrible in the eyes of our end users.

One of my main issues is that Windows 10 is restarting post install of updates, without allowing users to postpone. They get a message stating it will restart in 15 minutes or before if they manually do it themselves. I've made changes to in Group Policy to try and prevent this but they're having no effect, see image inserted below. I didn't setup the Group Policy model on our domain, I've been at the company less than two months and I believe that what's applying to Windows 10 machines is a slightly modified version of the Win 8 GPO.

Prevent Windows 10 Pro from restarting after updating through a GPO. [​IMG]

Any help would be greatly appreciated, as it stands users simply click away the message they get and then are upset when 15 minutes later their machine "mysteriously" restarts.

Thanks,

Nate.

:)

AchtungNate, Jul 26, 2016

2. Window 10 with Server 2012 R2 Time Sync and GPO Update

Hi,

I currently have a number of Windows 10 Pro clients connected to a Server 2012 R2 Server. The clients are configured through a GPO to update from the Server and the Server gets its time from the BIOS.

After about a week the clients fail to update the GPO's and the clients time goes to a random date. This only seams to happen with Windows 10, and the Windows 7 clients are unaffected. After a client restart the system happily pulls down the GPO's and re-syncs
    the time.

Can anyone help. I can provide further information to the configuration and error messages when the problem happens again.

Thank you for your help in advance.

Richard Footman, Jul 26, 2016
  3. Prevent Automatic Downloads in Windows 10

Unlike Win10 Home, you can tweak your Automatic Updates settings via GPO. See the Group Policy section on

this page
    or see
    this page
    (but do NOT click on the "Click here to fix Windows errors..." link!)

PA Bear - MS MVP, Jul 26, 2016
  4. Prevent Windows 10 Pro from restarting after updating through a GPO.

I know, what you mean, I use this, but that is just GPO applied via registry, so that will not help you.

reg add "HKLM\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate\AU" /v "AlwaysAutoRebootAtScheduledTime" /t REG_DWORD /d "0" /f
    reg add "HKLM\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate\AU" /v "NoAutoRebootWithLoggedOnUsers" /t REG_DWORD /d "1" /f

If you can wait for a week, Windows 10 SP1 will address this "issue", somewhat, look at the settings:

TairikuOkami, Jul 26, 2016
  5. Thank you for the swift reply.

I'm looking forward to this anniversary update, it should hopefully fix many of the horrible inconsistent but seemingly unfixable issues.

I also have problems with Users Home Folders not mapping from AD consistently and the positively awkward Start Menu issues where 50% of my users are missing random entries from the pre configured start menu but the other half have them...

I'll wait until patch Tuesday and see what goodies we get, thanks again.

AchtungNate, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Prevent Windows 10 Pro from restarting after updating through a GPO.

1. Prevent Windows 10 Pro from restarting after updating through a GPO. - Similar Threads - Prevent Pro restarting

2. Set language through GPO

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Set language through GPO: Hi Microsoft Community.I'm trying to set the language of some PCs to Spanish through GPO and it kind of works because every time that I unlock and log in on the PC, it automatically changes back to English.Thanks in advance for your help....
  3. Set language through GPO

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Set language through GPO: Hi Microsoft Community.I'm trying to set the language of some PCs to Spanish through GPO and it kind of works because every time that I unlock and log in on the PC, it automatically changes back to English.Thanks in advance for your help....
  4. Bitlocker Encryption Through GPO

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Bitlocker Encryption Through GPO: Hi,I am trying to deploy bitlocker encryption automatically to active directory users through GPO. The users must have TPM enabled and it should be hardware based bitlocker encryption. I also don't want any pre boot authenticationbitlocker password. I only want to encrypt the...
  5. Bitlocker Encryption Through GPO

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Bitlocker Encryption Through GPO: Hi,I am trying to deploy bitlocker encryption automatically to active directory users through GPO. The users must have TPM enabled and it should be hardware based bitlocker encryption. I also don't want any pre boot authenticationbitlocker password. I only want to encrypt the...
  6. Prevent Windows 10 Professional from restarting automatically

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Prevent Windows 10 Professional from restarting automatically: Can anyone verify if this works:Open gpedit.msc configure TWO things:1 "No auto-restart with logged on users for scheduled automatic updates installations" - Enabled - Why? Because it says "Note: This policy applies only when Automatic Updates is configured to perform...
  7. How to really prevent Windows 10 from restarting for updates?

How to really prevent Windows 10 from restarting for updates?: Hi, I am really sick and tired of Windows 10 automatic reboots for updating. I have been 40 years working with computers, coding, designing apps, maintaining enterprises, engineering solutions based on computers and I think I am old enough to take care of security myself....
  8. Prevent Windows Update from changing a printer driver that is pushed through GPO

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Prevent Windows Update from changing a printer driver that is pushed through GPO: Hello everyone! I have an issue with a printer that is pushed out via GPO that is using a particular driver. Windows Update it seems is changing the printer driver on the user PCs to use a different one that my users cannot use. I need to find a way to disable this...
  9. How to prevent windows 10 from restarting programs after update?

How to prevent windows 10 from restarting programs after update?: Hallo How do I permanent prevent Windows 10 from rebooting my computer due to updates? OR How do I permanent prevent Windows 10 from restarting the programs that were running prior to reboot? BR...
  10. After latest Update, Windows 10 Pro will not restart?

After latest Update, Windows 10 Pro will not restart?: I just today, August 31, 2020, installed an update to Windows 10 Pro. When it restarted, all that happened was a black screen with a flashing white cursor in the upper left of the screen. Panicked, I inserted my Windows 10 System Repair Disk that I created when I updated from...