Windows 10: Prevent windows from search in files when searching in the Start Menu

Discus and support Prevent windows from search in files when searching in the Start Menu in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Hello. when i search from the start menu, all i want to find is applications (desktop apps, metro apps, shortcus to apps in the all-applications menu)... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by 7IsBetter, Jan 25, 2016.

1. 7IsBetter Win User

Prevent windows from search in files when searching in the Start Menu

Hello.
    when i search from the start menu, all i want to find is applications (desktop apps, metro apps, shortcus to apps in the all-applications menu) and settings, not files and folders.
    (i already disabled the web search there).
    i still want to be able to search files when searching from antoher places, just not when searching from the start menu, so disabling the index is not an option for me.
    how do i do this?
    thank you

:)

7IsBetter, Jan 25, 2016
  2. IshanModi Win User

Help- IE11 disappear from windows 10

I usually search in start menu for Internet Explorer n its appear as desktop app. But somehow from last 2 days, when I search from start menu it not showed up, I found IE 11 there in C drive program files as iexplorer.exe. But how to enable and have it from
    search menu?

IshanModi, Jan 25, 2016
  3. IshanModi Win User
    IE 11 disppear from search as a desktop app

I usually search in start menu for Internet Explorer n its appear as desktop app. But somehow from last 2 days, when I search from start menu it not showed up, I found IE 11 there in C drive program
    files as iexplorer.exe. But how to enable and have it from search menu?

IshanModi, Jan 25, 2016
  4. xpclient Win User

In Classic Shell Settings -> Search Box tab, uncheck "Search files".

xpclient, Jan 25, 2016
  5. 7IsBetter Win User
    thanks, i didn't know about Classic Shell, it's a must-have

7IsBetter, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Prevent windows from search in files when searching in the Start Menu - Similar Threads - Prevent search files

2. Icon preventing the opening of indexed files searched from Start

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Icon preventing the opening of indexed files searched from Start: When I search for indexed files or folders in Windows Start, the list is correctly returned, but after less than a second, a small icon gets displayed near some files quite randomly and prevents me from directly opening them by clicking. Although I fail to upload the icon...
  3. Icon preventing the opening of indexed files searched from Start

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Icon preventing the opening of indexed files searched from Start: When I search for indexed files or folders in Windows Start, the list is correctly returned, but after less than a second, a small icon gets displayed near some files quite randomly and prevents me from directly opening them by clicking. Although I fail to upload the icon...
  4. Searching from the new Start menu

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Searching from the new Start menu: See:I have noticed that the two buttons at the bottom on the task bar on the left menu button and search button.... for me ... these only function on my primary monitor. If I click the same buttons on the seonc monitor they don't behave.Well, I can click the button on the...
  5. Search not starting from start menu

in Cortana
    Search not starting from start menu: Hi,I recently started using my laptop after not using it for a while and the search doesn't seem to be working anymore.Normally to search I hit the windows key and start typing, the search results load in immediately.Now I hit the windows key and start typing, nothing happens...
  6. Prevent "Type to Search" on Windows 10 Start Menu

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Prevent "Type to Search" on Windows 10 Start Menu: Afternoon. I am struggling to find a way to disable the "type to search" feature on the windows 10 start menu. I have enabled various GPOs to prevent Cortana however the actual feature I want to stop is the ability for users to select start -> and type to search for local...
  7. How do I prevent Cortana/Search from searching the web (when typing in the Start Menu)...

in Cortana
    How do I prevent Cortana/Search from searching the web (when typing in the Start Menu)...: In a previously locked thread ( https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-win_cortana/how-do-i-prevent-cortanasearch-from-searching-the/557539cc-5164-4df4-b839-494e623a6067 ), Brian023 asked: " I see from a web search (using my prefered browser and not...
  8. Automatically search files in start menu

in Windows 10 Support
    Automatically search files in start menu: In Windows 7 I type xxxx.txt and it searches the file in the indexed files. In Windows 10 I have to type Find in Documents. How do I make it searches in my files without clicking a second time ? 9159
  9. Can't search from Start menu

in Windows 10 Support
    Can't search from Start menu: Hello! I recently had to reinstall (complete/clean install) W-10, and ever since then I cannot search from Start. I open the Start menu as normal, either by clicking the icon or by pressing the Windows key on my keyboard, but when I press any key as I normally would to...
  10. Start Menu search not finding files

in Windows 10 Support
    Start Menu search not finding files: When I go to search for files (such as images/videos) through the Start Menu search (Cortana), files do not appear in results. The only way I can actually find these files is to manually click the "More" dropdown and select whichever file type it is (photos, videos, music...