Windows 10: Preventing access to modern app

Discus and support Preventing access to modern app in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Ive been tasked with preventing the children from accessing instagram. I've got it listed in my windows hosts file and internet... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by FrostyWinnipeg, Dec 18, 2017.

1. Preventing access to modern app

Ive been tasked with preventing the children from accessing instagram. I've got it listed in my windows hosts file and internet options/security/restricted site but the windows 10 app is still allowing access. Any suggestions other then deleting app which can just be reinstalled?

:)

FrostyWinnipeg, Dec 18, 2017

2. Last update caused all custom file associations to reset to defaults

I don't know what you try to tell me with this reply and how it helps to prevent modern apps to grab file associations while still allowing me to select modern apps from the open with menu.

The reg file proposed just sets NoOpenWith value which on one hand seems to prevent Windows to reset file associations to modern apps but also prevents me from selecting the app from the open with menu.

Rainer Meier, Dec 18, 2017
  3. Last update caused all custom file associations to reset to defaults

I don't know what you try to tell me with this reply and how it helps to prevent modern apps to grab file associations while still allowing me to select modern apps from the open with menu.

The reg file proposed just sets NoOpenWith value which on one hand seems to prevent Windows to reset file associations to modern apps but also prevents me from selecting the app from the open with menu.

Rainer,

If you occasionally use a modern app to open videos, adding an option to the right-click menu for "video" file types is the only workaround I can think of.... until MS fixes this issue. If you're interested I'll post a REG for you that'll add Zune Video
    to the right-click menu for file types video.

Ramesh Srinivasan, Dec 18, 2017
  4. dmholt57 Win User

Preventing access to modern app

Not sure on the specifics but running pro you should be able to use gpedit.msc or find a registry tweak online for the Policies folder under HKCU, Microsoft, Windows, Current Version, Policies, Explorer.

dmholt57, Dec 18, 2017
Thema:

Preventing access to modern app

1. Preventing access to modern app - Similar Threads - Preventing access modern

2. Prevent access

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Prevent access: I am removing our domain server. I am looking for a way to prevent staff from accessing files on the server and saving them to local drives. Here is the catch, they still need to be able to access them in VMWare client. Any thoughts on the best way to handle this?...
  3. Prevent access

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Prevent access: I am removing our domain server. I am looking for a way to prevent staff from accessing files on the server and saving them to local drives. Here is the catch, they still need to be able to access them in VMWare client. Any thoughts on the best way to handle this?...
  4. Prevent access

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. modern apps crashing

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    modern apps crashing: Do you have an approach that typically resolves the issue of modern apps (store, photos, etc.) crashing instantly? start menu and settings still work. reregistering affected appx packages, sfc, and typical dism commands do not typically resolve the issue for me. this issue...
  6. Prevent specific app for accessing specific file / directory

Prevent specific app for accessing specific file / directory: Is it possible to prevent specific app for accessing specific file / directory? On privacy setting it only has option for accessing file system. And on Apps & features setting, not all apps has advanced option button.. What I want to do is something like "prevent foobar.exe...
  7. Preventing access to an app/program temporarily without uninstalling it?

Preventing access to an app/program temporarily without uninstalling it?: My kids need to take a break from fortnite, but I don’t want to uninstall it. Is there a way to hide it or make it so it won’t work for a couple of days? I was wondering if I could just move some of the files to a different folder or something and then move them back when...
  8. Modern Photo App

Modern Photo App: Any way to shuffle photos in slideshow? 10327
  9. No "Modern" Apps Launching

No "Modern" Apps Launching: I'm running build 9879, and there's a pretty big issue. Whenever I try to launch any "Modern" app, the icon appears in the taskbar, and the loading screen appears for a flash of a second, then disappears. The icon stays, and when I try to click the icon it flashes again but...
  10. lost ability to access modern screen, cortana and apps

in Windows 10 Support
    lost ability to access modern screen, cortana and apps: I upgraded to windows 10 from windows 7. All was working fine. Now, I can't access the modern start screen, cortana or apps. The following things might have helped cause this: I changed my PCs name, I installed more ram, I created a local log in and there was an update just...