Windows 10: Preventing Auto Updates

Discus and support Preventing Auto Updates in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; I'm having startup issues with a Windows 10 Build: Cumulative update for Windows 10 ver. 1511 KB3192444. (I hope I copied it correctly). Before... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by JamesJoey, Oct 26, 2016.

1. JamesJoey Win User

Preventing Auto Updates

I'm having startup issues with a Windows 10 Build:
    Cumulative update for Windows 10 ver. 1511
    KB3192444. (I hope I copied it correctly).

Before this update is installed the problem doesn't exist, after it's installed it does.
    I posted this issue here but have not gotten any help.
    Because windows 10 automatically installs updates I needed to go into Group Policy Editor-Computer Configuration-Windows Components-Windows Update and set it to
    "Notify for download and notify for install"

But, when I go back into settings for windows update advanced settings, the choose how updates are installed has remained with the same 2 options.

How can I be sure that Windows 10 does not install this update????
    Does changing this setting in GPE work ok?

Any help will be appreciated,
    James

:)

JamesJoey, Oct 26, 2016

2. Preventing Auto Updates

Don't bother: I am no longer monitoring this thread.

PA Bear - MS MVP, Oct 26, 2016
  3. BulldogXX Win User
    Preventing Auto Updates

Instead of playing 20 Questions with the Bear:

You might not be aware but in Windows 10, updates are mandatory. In the Home Edition you have no control at all over updates. In the Pro version you can delay updates for short time, but you cannot avoid them.

In addition, in Windows 10 updates are cumulative. So while it's possible to uninstall an update, it will eventually come back.

None of this is a secret; Microsoft published this long before Windows 10 was released.

This is a community forum. It's not Microsoft support. You are writing to other Windows 10 users, who may or may not know the answer to your question.

Here's something else that you don't want to hear: There are currently over 400 million Windows 10 activations. You don't see 400 million complaints here, or even 200 million or even 1 million. Clearly, most people around the world have figured out how to
    use Windows 10. Maybe they don't like how Windows 10 works (that would include me) but they have nevertheless learned how to use it correctly. You need to join that group, and the sooner the better, or you risk being left behind.

Here are some lessons that I learned the hard way (because I apparently can't learn any other wayPreventing Auto Updates :)

1- An operating system will only run correctly - or at all - on supported hardware. If any of your hardware is not supported on Windows 10, don't waste your time.

2- Do a clean install. A clean install on supported hardware is a can't miss.

3- Once you have performed a lovely clean install, only install software applications that are supported on Windows 10.

4- Learn how to use Windows 10 the way it was designed to be used, and only use it that way. Trust me, software doesn't care about what we think, it works the way it was designed to work.

This is how I make Windows 10 sing arias on my 7-year old desktop that Dell abandoned long ago. It works, but you have to play along.

BulldogXX, Oct 26, 2016
  4. dalchina New Member

Preventing Auto Updates

dalchina, Oct 26, 2016
  5. JamesJoey Win User
    It's a lot to take in.
    So, apparently using Group Policy Editor will work?
    Hiding updates wil prevent them form being installed?

JamesJoey, Oct 26, 2016
  6. dalchina New Member
    It depends what you want to do.

If you want to stop all updates
    - Windows updates can be stopped altogether by various means from designating your internet connection (ethernet or Wifi) as metered to disabling the service), but then Defender updates will stop so if you use that you have to set up a scheduled task yourself.

- Windows apps are updated separately on a 4 hourly scheduled task.

If you find you don't want a particular update yo can use the link I provided and uninstall it. But you first have to have received it to hide it.

If you are concerned about unexpected restarts after updates, Winaero's Tweaker (free) includes an option to do that in addition to the limited protection offered by Windows Active Hours setting.

More here:

Preventing Auto Updates [​IMG]

dalchina, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Preventing Auto Updates

1. Preventing Auto Updates - Similar Threads - Preventing Auto Updates

2. Prevent windows 11 auto upgrade

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Prevent windows 11 auto upgrade: I have windows 10 Pro 64bit installed on a workstation. Due to a software incompatibility I want to prevent the windows 11 auto upgrade from happening. But I need the system to update all the rest within windows 10 like security patches etc. How do I do this ?...
  3. Prevent windows 11 auto upgrade

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Prevent windows 11 auto upgrade: I have windows 10 Pro 64bit installed on a workstation. Due to a software incompatibility I want to prevent the windows 11 auto upgrade from happening. But I need the system to update all the rest within windows 10 like security patches etc. How do I do this ?...
  4. How to prevent Windows 11 auto installs update packages?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to prevent Windows 11 auto installs update packages?: When I'm using Windows normally, it suddenly slows down, CPU usages increasing, noisy FAN and everything starts sluggish, lagging. That means the system is installing upgrade packages without any permission in the background!!!How to prevent that stupid function???I want to...
  5. Preventing Windows Store Auto-Install

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    Preventing Windows Store Auto-Install: Is there any way to prevent Windows Store from auto-installing programs I removed? It keeps adding back Office I use LibreOffice, McAfee no thank you, Booking.com nope and WildTangent Games UWP every time I uninstall them. I don't want the bloatware....
  6. Preventing Edge auto-launch

in Browsers and Email
    Preventing Edge auto-launch: Edge interrupts my video watching, by auto-launching and telling me that the internet is not connected. I've tried to prevent that by uninstalling it from Control Panel - which does not give that option, but only offers CHANGE. I have uninstalled it with Revo Uninstaller and...
  7. Preventing Edge auto-launch

in Windows 10 Support
    Preventing Edge auto-launch: Edge interrupts my video watching, by auto-launching and telling me that the internet is not connected. I've tried to prevent that by uninstalling it from Control Panel - which does not give that option, but only offers CHANGE. I have uninstalled it with Revo Uninstaller and...
  8. How to prevent certain program from auto update

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    How to prevent certain program from auto update: How to prevent certain program from auto update From Control Panel shows Windows defender firewall from right shows Advanced Setting From right shows Inbound Rules, from lift shows New Rule, and follow the steps 1- اختار برامج 2-حدد مكان البرنامج الذى لا ترغب في تحديثه...
  9. Prevent HDD auto-mount

in Windows 10 Support
    Prevent HDD auto-mount: Hi, everyone! I've just installed a dual boot system, with two Windows 10 (one for work, one for gaming). I have a single HDD with two NTFS partitions for the two OS. Let's call the two OS Win1 and Win2. Win1 maps his own partition (system partition) as C:, and Win2...
  10. Unknown installation running, preventing installs and AVG auto update

in Windows 10 Support
    Unknown installation running, preventing installs and AVG auto update: Hi there, when trying to install an application, I get a pop up saying: 'Error 1500. Another installation is in progress. You must complete that installation before continuing this one.' On a separate occasion, AVG performs an auto update and basically says the same thing:...