Windows 10: PREVIEW option gone from JPGs?

Discus and support PREVIEW option gone from JPGs? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hey guys, One feature I used alot in Win 8.1 was the right-click "Preview" option on photos. I could open them in the viewer without having to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by orlando1974, Aug 3, 2015.

1. PREVIEW option gone from JPGs?

Hey guys,

One feature I used alot in Win 8.1 was the right-click "Preview" option on photos. I could open them in the viewer without having to launch a full blown editor like Photoshop. So I would use Preview and Open to accomplish two different goals.

But now, I noticed there's no more Preview option on the JPG's... is it really gone? Or just my system?

:)

orlando1974, Aug 3, 2015

2. free upgrade window missed?

Well, I cleaned out the preview builds - so they're gone. No mercy from the company ...

ElmarSchmeisser, Aug 3, 2015
  3. Windows phone 8.1 dev preview - where has the wifi always on option gone? Also mobile data in quick actions?

Windows phone 8.1 dev preview - where has the wifi always on option or keep wifi connected under lock screen option gone? It used to be there in GDR3.

also, how can I add mobile data to quick actions in the action centre?

Shashank Katyayan, Aug 3, 2015
  4. Rocky Win User

PREVIEW option gone from JPGs?

Have you went into default programs and set a default? I have Adobe Photoshop Elements 13 installed on my system but I still use a photo previewer as my default because it is much faster and easier.

Rocky, Aug 3, 2015
  5. if I go into that list, it shows options to OPEN the program, not preview them. Im not sure why I dont have the Preview option on my right-click anymore....

orlando1974, Aug 3, 2015
  6. Rocky Win User
    If you go into Default Programs it will NEVER give you an option to open a program, it just allows you to set default programs, (hence its name).

Rocky, Aug 3, 2015
  7. Rocky Win User
    Since I have my default program set to the Microsoft Photos app, all I have to do is double click on a photo for it to preview. If I want to open it with Adobe then I have to right click and scroll to open with. I have my system set up that way.

Rocky, Aug 3, 2015
  8. PREVIEW option gone from JPGs?

Can you select a JPG in your File Explorer and right-click for me and please tell me if you see an item called "Preview"? (or post a screenshot for comparison)

orlando1974, Aug 3, 2015
  9. Slartybart, Aug 3, 2015
  10. orlando1974, Aug 3, 2015
  11. Ztruker Win User
    Open Control Panel then Default Programs.
    Select Associate a file type or protocol with a program.
    Scroll down and double click on .jpg.
    Change the default to Windows Photo Viewer.
    Do the same for .jpeg.
    Now when you right click on a .jpg file you have Preview choice.

What I'd like is a batch file or registry hack to replace all uses of the Photos app with Windows Photo Viewer.

Edit: Does restPreviewPick.reg do that?

Ztruker, Aug 3, 2015
  12. Rocky Win User
    Sorry for all of my stupid suggestions, Photos preview app works perfectly for me so assumed it was there for everyone. I am glad I do not have this issue.

Rocky, Aug 3, 2015
  13. Rocky Win User

That's what I suggested about an hour ago to the OP but I guess he does not have that option.

Rocky, Aug 3, 2015
  14. At first, you were my hero. Because this did bring back the PREVIEW option on right-click. But then I realized that that is the SAME as Open on the top ribbon, which on Win 8.1 I had set to default open in Photoshop. So now it almost seems like Win 10 confuses Preview and Open terms.. interchangeably. The moment I had reassigned Photoshop to the top ribbon for the Open, the "Preview" option on right-click was gone again. *Sad

orlando1974, Aug 3, 2015
  15. I didn't see Photo Viewer as an option - but then I've been mucking about.

I decided to test the restPreviewPick.reg mod and it did not seem to help. The entries were in the registry, so I dug around a bit more.

Over on WinAreo.com there are registry entires not in restPreviewPick.reg
    How get Windows Photo Viewer working in Windows 10 RTM

The page offers a tool and also provides DIY instructions - I built and tested a reg mod (photViewAssoc.reg) from those instructions.

photViewAssoc.reg

Code: Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00 [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows Photo Viewer] [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows Photo Viewer\Capabilities] "ApplicationDescription"="@%ProgramFiles%\\Windows Photo Viewer\\photoviewer.dll,-3069" "ApplicationName"="@%ProgramFiles%\\Windows Photo Viewer\\photoviewer.dll,-3009" [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows Photo Viewer\Capabilities\FileAssociations] ".tif"="PhotoViewer.FileAssoc.Tiff" ".tiff"="PhotoViewer.FileAssoc.Tiff" ".bmp"="PhotoViewer.FileAssoc.Tiff" ".dib"="PhotoViewer.FileAssoc.Tiff" ".gif"="PhotoViewer.FileAssoc.Tiff" ".jfif"="PhotoViewer.FileAssoc.Tiff" ".jpe"="PhotoViewer.FileAssoc.Tiff" ".jpeg"="PhotoViewer.FileAssoc.Tiff" ".jpg"="PhotoViewer.FileAssoc.Tiff" ".jxr"="PhotoViewer.FileAssoc.Tiff" ".png"="PhotoViewer.FileAssoc.Tiff"[/quote] Don't let the .Tiff reference throw you off, it just points to an entry that does the same thing for all filetypes.

After you merge the file, go to Control Panel > Default Programs > Set your default programs
    Scroll down to, and select, Windows Photo Viewer
    Then press either
    Set this program as default
    - or -
    Choose defaults for this program

Things seem to work ok now for preiviewing images
    - I haven't really pushed very hard to see if GIMP or other programs are affected sooo
    USE AT YOUR OWN RISK
    Do you want to exercise the Photos app from you system?
    That would effectively replace it *Wink

Slartybart, Aug 4, 2015
Thema:

1. PREVIEW option gone from JPGs? - Similar Threads - PREVIEW option gone

2. Settings Option is Gone

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Settings Option is Gone: Help! Can someone answer me on how can I fix this? You see only time and language are available in my settings. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/settings-option-is-gone/38700842-1488-44bb-8624-4e4287159151
  3. Settings Option is Gone

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Settings Option is Gone: Help! Can someone answer me on how can I fix this? You see only time and language are available in my settings. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/settings-option-is-gone/38700842-1488-44bb-8624-4e4287159151
  4. Sleep option gone

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Sleep option gone: On my windows 10 laptop, my sleep option has completely disappeared. I've tried multiple solutions, but none of them worked. Here are the ones I have tried:Restoring the default power options using the command window, evening running it as administrator and restarting my PC...
  5. The Bluetooth option is gone

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    The Bluetooth option is gone: Hi . I have Bluetooth on my laptop. Two months ago, I changed my Windows. And since then, I can not connect via Bluetooth. The Bluetooth option is gone and I can't turn it on in the settings. What should I do ?...
  6. Printing jpgs

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Printing jpgs: I cannot get two 4x6 pics to a page to print from my Canon MX922 anymore. I have done this in the past. I can select multiple files and select to print two 4x6 pics per page and now it prints the left and right sides of the pics but leaves a white blank space throughout the...
  7. Sleep option is gone

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Sleep option is gone: On my windows 10 laptop, the sleep option simply disappeared from the start menu. I then looked up on the internet for solutions but when explored the control panel and the settings, the sleep option was not available in Settings>System>Power and Sleep. It also wasn't...
  8. Rip option gone

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Rip option gone: I did a Windows update and now the Rip option is gone from Windows Media Player. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling Windows Media Player. I tried turning media features on and off and restarting. No change....
  9. JPGs

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    JPGs: How do I change the opption to open JPGs? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/jpgs/8d6e7c2e-8b99-41e5-8165-d5b4f221c3ef"
  10. keyboard option is gone from the device manager

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    keyboard option is gone from the device manager: I am using Lenovo ideapad 330 and in this the keyboard driver is not listed in the device manger. the keyboard option only shows up when I join the wired keyboard. I have tried using the registry also but does nothing. on the human interface devices there is the exclamation...