Windows 10: Preview Pane text based file

Discus and support Preview Pane text based file in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I use a program for work, and it saves files with an extension .blt Those files can also be opened fine in notepad, and are 100% text based. In... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Hoops, Mar 2, 2017.

1. Hoops Win User

Preview Pane text based file

I use a program for work, and it saves files with an extension .blt
    Those files can also be opened fine in notepad, and are 100% text based.

In every PC since windows 7 I have always managed to use PreviewConfig.exe to set the extension viewable in the preview pane. I have had two previous PC's running 10, and have been able to get this working without much trouble.

No matter what I try, I simply can not see my files contents in the window preview pane.
    Any suggestions?

:)

Hoops, Mar 2, 2017

2. Video in the preview pane

Hi,

To enable the Preview pane, open File Explorer and follow these steps:

• In the File Explorer window, click the View
      tab.

• In the Panes section, click the Preview Pane button. The Preview pane is added to the right side of the File Explorer window.

• Select several files one by one to preview their contents. You can preview their contents if they are text, images, or videos.

Let us know if you need further assistance.

Aileen Alf, Mar 2, 2017
  3. Gil deG Win User
    How to get file to show up in all of preview pane

Hi Bill,

Setting the preview pane to show or hide in File Explorer is a global setting that is applied to all folders, and not just in the current folder.

Base on the information that you provided, it's possible that some of your files is small that's why it's only showing small preview in the preview pane. For us to have a better understanding of your concern, may we ask for a screenshot of the files that
    are showing in a small box in the preview pane.

Hope to hear from you soon.

Gil deG, Mar 2, 2017
  4. Preview Pane text based file

Welcome to the TenForums @Hoops

Have you tried installing program, PreviewConfig.exe, in compatibility mode?

When you try a file is anything recorded in the event viewer?

Ken

Caledon Ken, Mar 2, 2017
  5. dalchina New Member
    Hi, at a guess, this is related to the perceived type of the extension.

Using a free utility, you can see .txt has a perceived type of text - or in Advanced Query Syntax kind:text (which you can use e.g. in complex explorer searches)

Preview Pane text based file [​IMG]

You can see this utility lets you change the perceived type - which of course you could also do with a registry editor.

You can use this to inspect the perceived type of the extension in question - and change it.

There's another factor too - which program is associated with an extension type.
    For example, .ini is associated with Notepad, but its perceived type was 'unknown'. Its content is displayed in the preview pane (presumably because of Notepad).

.ahk (autohotkey) files are text files, but were not displayed in the preview pane. They were not associated with a program that displayed them, and their perceived type was unknown. Changing this to text meant they are now displayed in the preview pane.

dalchina, Mar 2, 2017
  6. Hoops Win User
    Ken, Yes I tried using PreviewConfig as mentioned in my post. No luck.

Dalchina, The perceived type in HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT .blt PercievedType is text.

Additionally, the default is set to MYPROG and the correct info is in..
    HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\MYPROG\ShellEx\{8895b1c6-b41f-4c1c-a562-0d564250836f}

which is the default handler for text files.

Like I said, I have tried everything I could think of...

[Edit... Think I stumped the Gurus ;( ]

Hoops, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Preview Pane text based file

1. Preview Pane text based file - Similar Threads - Preview Pane text

2. File Explorer Preview Pane

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File Explorer Preview Pane: Hi allI'm having an issue with the preview pane in File Explorer.I can turn the pane on like normal, however sometimes the navigation buttons for the preview pane move the ones to click to next page etc.Sometimes they are at the top of the file and sometimes they are below....
  3. File Explorer Preview Pane

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File Explorer Preview Pane: Hi allI'm having an issue with the preview pane in File Explorer.I can turn the pane on like normal, however sometimes the navigation buttons for the preview pane move the ones to click to next page etc.Sometimes they are at the top of the file and sometimes they are below....
  4. File Explorer Preview Pane

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Preview Pane in File Explorer

Preview Pane in File Explorer: Does anyone know why my Previrew Pane is showing an Index?***Moved from Microsoft 365 and Office / Other / For business / Other*** https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/preview-pane-in-file-explorer/bd53d4ec-158c-43c0-a519-6a5840634053
  6. No file preview in the preview pane and file explore

No file preview in the preview pane and file explore: This is an ongoing, intermittent problem. For no apparent reason, my documents well stop being previewed in the previewed pain of file Explorer. Today, Word docs are previewing, but it takes a long time for them to appear. PDF docs are not previewing at all. Yesterday,...
  7. Preview pane

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Preview pane: Another issue is the preview pane on the file explorer. After the update is no longer working. I really don't know what else to do. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/preview-pane/8a221a08-c589-478d-b12b-d6610a30458e
  8. Preview Pane

Preview Pane: Using Windows explorer plus Preview pane is causing files to be locked\read only. Is there a fix for this yet? apart from disabling PP? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/preview-pane/9b6d0ce9-e586-4c31-a667-249e00efaf31"
  9. Preview Pane

Preview Pane: Every time I click on a video file the preview pane continues to display the picture of the first file selected. How do I fix this? Thanks for your help. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/preview-pane/941ab2da-c3c7-4d1a-a6e7-af795f391919"
  10. file explorer preview pane

file explorer preview pane: Problem I`m having is the preview pane will show pdf`s fine, but will not preview jpegs https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/file-explorer-preview-pane/3166cd80-4954-4b11-8def-bf594a2d9831"