Windows 10: Previous versions not working as expected with Windows 10

Discus and support Previous versions not working as expected with Windows 10 in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; Restore points are correctly configured and working. Why I can't restore old file (new one has changed) from 'Properties > Previous versions' as... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by hexaae, Feb 19, 2018.

1. hexaae Win User

Previous versions not working as expected with Windows 10

Restore points are correctly configured and working.
    Why I can't restore old file (new one has changed) from 'Properties > Previous versions' as expected?
    As you can see from ShadowExplorer utility there is an old copy.

Previous versions not working as expected with Windows 10 [​IMG]

Previous versions with Windows 10 should let you recover old file versions when you have restore points feature ON, as written on the tab page: "Previous versions come from File History or from restore points", but it's simply false and misleading. *Huh

Windows 10 x64 FCU 1709 (16299.248)

:)

hexaae, Feb 19, 2018

2. windows 10 pro not working as expected

Purchased acer-windows 10 pro n installed-Computer crashed-Tech fixed-Windows 10 pro n not the same and no Product Key-want to re-install original.Thanks.

johnwrightZW, Feb 19, 2018
  3. windows 10 pro not working as expected

Purchased Acer-Windows 10 pro n pre installed-Computer crashed-Tech fixed-Windows 10 pro n not the same as before and no Product Key-want to re-install original.Thanks.

johnwrightZW, Feb 19, 2018
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

Brink, Feb 19, 2018
  5. hexaae Win User
    Thank you Brink *Smile
    ...but... it's stored in the Restore point (see my picture above with ShadowExplorer actually showing an old version I can recover, tested) but I can't see it because C:\Users folder is excluded by 'Previous versions'? Weird...

EDIT:
    I'm also sure Previous Versions was working for Documents files up to Windows 7.
    From your picture at Restore Previous Versions of Files, Folders, and Drives in Windows 10 Windows 10 Tutorials you show ('Folder' pic) a shadow copy of C:\Users\<name>\Desktop.... I'm confused *Confused

hexaae, Feb 19, 2018
  6. Brink
    Brink New Member
    I believe my examples from then were previous versions gotten from File History.

Brink, Feb 19, 2018
  7. hexaae Win User
    To me it looks like 'Previous versions' is simply ignoring user's restore points for shadow copies of modified files with Windows 10 on drive C:, even though MS says it should take them also from restore points. 'Previous versions' works only using File History on C:, or from extra drives with some restore points (D:, E:, F:...).
    It worked as expected for C: drive up to Win7 and probably Win 8.x and early Win 10.

Lucky enough there are still 3rd party tools (ShadowExplorer) that let you browse into restore points to recover old version files, but Previous Versions tab is misleading and/or buggy under Win 10 for C: drive *Rolleyes

hexaae, Feb 19, 2018
  8. hexaae Win User

hexaae, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Previous versions not working as expected with Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Previous versions working

2. snipping tool not working as previously and expected

in Windows 10 Gaming
    snipping tool not working as previously and expected: When snipping tool is invoked - 'New', one cannot draws round what you want to capture! What happens instead is that you get a screen capture and you have to use the crop function to highlight what you want. Has there been an update to this ? If so, let's go back to what is...
  3. snipping tool not working as previously and expected

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    snipping tool not working as previously and expected: When snipping tool is invoked - 'New', one cannot draws round what you want to capture! What happens instead is that you get a screen capture and you have to use the crop function to highlight what you want. Has there been an update to this ? If so, let's go back to what is...
  4. Restoring to a previous version of windows 10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Restoring to a previous version of windows 10: Due to a failed windows update I lost my entire OS and had to reinstall, losing all the data and programs that had not yet been backed up. With the new build, some of my apps do not work correctly some have known issues that the developer is working on. They worked well in...
  5. reverting to a previous version of windows 10.

reverting to a previous version of windows 10.: Hi, I used to have version 1709 win 10 pro and bought a new system, This new system is running on version 1803 which does not run any of the apps I use … how do I get back to this version of windows? Any help would be appreciated. Im not the most tech savy sorry...
  6. Previous versions

Previous versions: Hello there! In System properties, system protection is "on" for C and E drive I can also see 5 restore point when i click "system restore" from control panel's System properties But when i click on restore previous version on any of the folder in those two drives it...
  7. Previous Versions of Windows 10 Home

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Previous Versions of Windows 10 Home: Good evening, Please send me the link with all versions of Windows 15011, 1611 to 1809. IM waiting for a message! Thank you! https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/previous-versions-of-windows-10-home/0f02ccb8-2b47-4351-b4e1-ae83aaece7c5
  8. Previous versions of Windows 10 pro

in Windows 10 Customization
    Previous versions of Windows 10 pro: Hello Dear Sir / Madam, I have a Windows 10 Pro license and I want to download it all windows 10 pro older versions such as: 1511, 1607, 1703, 1709, 1803 Thank you! IM waiting for a message! A great day!...
  9. Deleting previous versions of windows 10

Deleting previous versions of windows 10: I have being trying to delete previous verions of windows 10 by clinking on storage, then Temporary files and selecting Previous version of Windows, clicking on remove files, no files are deleted. What can I do now?...
  10. Trying to run application in Windows 10, worked in previous versions

Trying to run application in Windows 10, worked in previous versions: Dear All, This is my first post in this forum. I am Support Engineer and usually try to find solutions on my own. At this time I need your support because I don't know what to do and I'm worrying about my position. We have been using our Management application for about...