Windows 10: Previous versions of files in restore point

Discus and support Previous versions of files in restore point in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; Searched, didn't see this one. One of the most useful features of Win 7 was when you could pull a previous version of a file out of the restore... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by mtroxel, Aug 19, 2015.

1. mtroxel Win User

Previous versions of files in restore point

Searched, didn't see this one.

One of the most useful features of Win 7 was when you could pull a previous version of a file out of the restore point. But now when I go to configure a system restore it isn't listed as an option as it was in 7. However, in a context menu on any file it still lists it as an option. Is this just gone or a huge bug?

:)

mtroxel, Aug 19, 2015

2. how to recover deleted file in folder lock

previous versions come from file history or from restore points

type in folder version:

there are no previous version available

Rishirathour, Aug 19, 2015
  3. Unable to restore the modified .JPEG

I see that when Windows makes a restore point, also it saves previous versions of files.

Though this does not happen for every file, nor when I made a restore point myself.

I would like to know, without using file history, under what condition Windows keeps a previous version of a file.

Henk Roggeman, Aug 19, 2015
  4. vram Win User

Unfortunately as of Windows 8, Microsoft made a change in Previous Versions which now requires you to have a second physical drive in order to enable the feature.

Dumb decision if you ask me. I can understand that PV/File History would be more reliable as a backup when using a second drive, but I liked the option of using it casually to pluck a file I messed up or accidentally deleted, etc.

5. mtroxel Win User
    Exactly. I get tired of people ragging on MS, so I'll just stop typing now. I don't get them, at all.

mtroxel, Aug 19, 2015
  6. vram Win User
    I posted feedback regarding this using the windows 10 feedback app. Up vote it if you see it.

7. mtroxel Win User
    Just did. Thanks.

mtroxel, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Previous versions of files in restore point - Similar Threads - Previous versions files

2. Will restoring a folder to a previous version delete work done after the restore point?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Will restoring a folder to a previous version delete work done after the restore point?: I have a drive with a subfolder that has suddenly disappeared. I can view the folder in a previous version but I'm worried that restoring the folder will eliminate any work that has been done after the restore point. Will restoring the folder delete any new work? Is there...
  3. Will restoring a folder to a previous version delete work done after the restore point?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Will restoring a folder to a previous version delete work done after the restore point?: I have a drive with a subfolder that has suddenly disappeared. I can view the folder in a previous version but I'm worried that restoring the folder will eliminate any work that has been done after the restore point. Will restoring the folder delete any new work? Is there...
  4. Will restoring a folder to a previous version delete work done after the restore point?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. System restore to the previous point

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    System restore to the previous point: I am planning to restore my laptop to a previous point.I have made some changes to the settings of third party applications like eclipse.But these settings are changed recently i.e after the date that which I want to restore to.Once I restore to that date,will the settings go...
  6. Cannot revert to previous restore point

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Cannot revert to previous restore point: Outlook starts and shows emails up to about a week ago, it starts to synchronise then shuts down. I then try to repair MS Office, it says it has been successful but the same problem occurs. I attempted to restore Windows 10 to a previous restore point but get the following...
  7. Restoring previous versions of a TIFF file

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Restoring previous versions of a TIFF file: Hello, Not sure if I should be asking about it here, sorry. I was working on my TIFF file in Photoshop CS5.1, when my computer shut down completely. It turned back on and I checked on the file, but it now says it's unable to be opened, not by Windows, nor by Photoshop or...
  8. Anyway to restore previous version without restore point ?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Anyway to restore previous version without restore point ?: I’m trying to restore a previous version of a folder. The problem is i have no restore point that will let me go back to the point I want to go. Is there anyway I can go back to the day I want to without ?. submitted by /u/NASCAR142002 [link] [comments]...
  9. System Restore will not do a restore to previous created Point

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    System Restore will not do a restore to previous created Point: I am running windows 10 PRO (64Bit) Version 1709 installed about October2017 I have a MBR Partition 1 TB HD Everytime I try to use System Restore ( For any type of reason) Most of which is just to see if it works, Does not, and it has not worked since I went from version...
  10. Restoring Previous Version

in Windows 10 Support
    Restoring Previous Version: So I download Windows 10 from here: Windows 10 Whilst I run it, no questions show up, asking anything, but in videos I see questions, asking about Updates and your current PC data. Once it completes, and restarts my PC, it finishes, then goes onto a screen saying...