Windows 10: Print spooler chokes when attempting to print certain pdf files

Discus and support Print spooler chokes when attempting to print certain pdf files in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; The print spooler chokes on both of my Windows 10 machines when trying to deal with certain pdf files. For instance when I tried to print... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by ricecrispies, Jan 9, 2016.

1. Print spooler chokes when attempting to print certain pdf files

The print spooler chokes on both of my Windows 10 machines when trying to deal with certain pdf files. For instance when I tried to print https://thebasscase.files.wordpress....01/so-what.pdf via my browser (Chrome), it printed the first 6 pages, but the printer showed an error when it came to the seventh page. When I then tried to create another job just to print the seventh page, it just hung around in the print spool and nothing happened at the printer. I tried this several times on two machines. It was also impossible either to cancel the job in the print queue manager or to stop the spooler in the services manager in order to manually clear the print queue, which meant that the only way I could clear the queue was to restart the machine. I got the same behaviour whether I was printing to my physical printer or to the MS pdf printer. I also got the same behaviour when I tried to print from a different browser (Edge). This is not the first time I have had a problem with an unprintable file like this in Windows 10. Is there a solution?

:)

ricecrispies, Jan 9, 2016

2. Microsoft Print to PDF in Windows 10 file location window not popping up

I had a similar problem with Windows 10 Pro 1511. However when I used Print to PDF it did ask me for location, it appeared to print, but there was no printed pdf document in my documents folder (including one drive documents folder). Other printing worked
    normally asking me for location and printing.

I restarted the print spooler service and print to pdf then worked as expected asking me for a location and file name and outputting the desired pdf file.

dgholzhausen, Jan 9, 2016
  3. andrea313 Win User
    I can't print PDF files since upgrading to Windows 10

I can print other types of files. I have tried printing directly and saving the file using Microsoft Print to PDF. I can't print the saved PDF file. The file shows up as printing in the Printer Dialog, then simply disappears without printing. I've stopped
    and started the print spooler to no avail. This is highly frustrating. I'm tempted to fall back to the old Windows, at least the basics worked.

andrea313, Jan 9, 2016
  4. bro67 Win User

Print spooler chokes when attempting to print certain pdf files

Chrome has had an issue with printing PDF's from the built in PDF viewer. There is nothing wrong with your printer, Windows 10 install or Print Spooler.

Save the PDF and then print from Acrobat if you need the pdf printed.

Google refuses to fix their problem.

If you open it in Firefox, it will print.

bro67, Jan 10, 2016
  5. Thanks for your informative reply. I later discovered the Acrobat Reader workaround and was able to print. I also found that simply closing Chrome unjammed the print queue.

Just a correction to something in my OP: I said that I had reproduced the problem using Edge, but I must have made a mistake then, because I was able to print the page in question just now using that browser. This means that viewing the pdf in Edge and printing from their is a slightly quicker alternative to using Acrobat.

ricecrispies, Jan 10, 2016
  6. bro67 Win User
    The reason that it works in edge, is because edge is using a better PDF viewer. Google no longer allows non-NAPI extensions in their browser, is why you have a lot of issues when printing within.

bro67, Jan 10, 2016
  7. All I do if I want anything printed via PDF is click the 3 dots
    Scroll down
    Click Print the printer you are using appears
    Press print there and away you go
    I also only use Edge

hTconeM9user, Jan 10, 2016
  8. Print spooler chokes when attempting to print certain pdf files

Can I just add to what I said earlier that it turns out the page I couldn't print locally I could nevertheless print via Google cloud print to the same local printer. Therefore if the document does not contain sensitive data that you don't want to send through the cloud, cloud printing is a solution. Otherwise use Adobe Reader or a different browser as suggested above.

ricecrispies, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Print spooler chokes when attempting to print certain pdf files

1. Print spooler chokes when attempting to print certain pdf files - Similar Threads - Print spooler chokes

2. print spooler

in Windows 10 Gaming
    print spooler: print spooler is curently running but when trying toinstall printer drivers it ssy spoller has stopped but it still running https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/print-spooler/88996641-a0cf-40e6-8ec2-79d12357dfc2
  3. print spooler

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    print spooler: print spooler is curently running but when trying toinstall printer drivers it ssy spoller has stopped but it still running https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/print-spooler/88996641-a0cf-40e6-8ec2-79d12357dfc2
  4. Print Spooler

Print Spooler: we have a few windows 10 pro 2004 machines that the print spoolers keep going disabled. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/print-spooler/2a0c721a-4335-42fb-be1e-1ccf62a244f3
  5. Print Spooler

Print Spooler: Since the Windows 10 update in March I can't print. Printer Spooler keeps stopping and I've restarted it numerous times but it stops after a couple of minutes. WIndows Troubleshooter advises to install new printer but can't add new driver as print spooler keeps stopping....
  6. Print spooler

Print spooler: Just updated win 10 to latest update. Now cannot print to HP Laserjet Pro mfp 1410. The print spooler will not remain on. What should I do? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/print-spooler/fe76dc32-5978-4e2b-b195-0dcd75753c60
  7. print spooler

print spooler: I am having trouble printing from pdf files, it keeps saying that the spooler is at fault. I have stopped and started the spooler. I have put the spooler to automatic too. I have also tried to delete the print queue but it says that the system drivers for the spool cannot be...
  8. Print spooler

Print spooler: I cannot print from my laptop over the wireless network. I have not had a problem until recently. I have set a new port for the printer, but when asked to print the job is sent to the spooler, and nothing happens. Then the document is deleted from the spooler. I can...
  9. print spooler

print spooler: after each update you make mess in my PC or lets say ...no printer works always say that print spooler does not work than I go to services and found print spooler, open it and press START.... in about 10 sec. just by it self jumps in STOPPED --or let say simples , he...
  10. Print Spooler

Print Spooler: My update to Windows 10 from Windows 7 went without problems but none of the three printers attached to my computer worked and I have been struggling with the problem over the last two weeks. There is another long thread "Can't connect to Printer" which has not produced a...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. pdf print spooler number of files

2. Print spooler chokes when attempting to print certain pdf files win 10