Windows 10: Printer and File Sharing... half works. Please help.

Discus and support Printer and File Sharing... half works. Please help. in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hello, I am trying to make all of my machines to talk to each other (On my home network) as well as share a printer on one machine (wired via USB).... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by therh, Jan 7, 2016.

1. therh Win User

Printer and File Sharing... half works. Please help.

Hello,

I am trying to make all of my machines to talk to each other (On my home network) as well as share a printer on one machine (wired via USB). I am running Windows 10 Pro on the machine with the printer.

The other machines are running Windows 7 Pro. All machines are are part of the Workgroup called Workgroup. Also I have Uverse as my Internet/Router (NVG599).

Currently all machines see all folders and the printer. The problem is I am unable to access files or drives. For example one of my machines is "Office (Windows 7 Pro)" and my other is "Studio (Windows 10 pro)".
    "Studio" is set to Private Network , and all other machine are set as Public. All machines can use the printer on "Studio" which is hooked up via USB.

When I am at my computer "Studio" and try to access files on "Office" I get the following; "Windows is unable to access \\Office-PC\Documents" (Documents being the shared folder, with full access privileges). This example applies to these machine an all others I have at home; printer share works (I can print from all of my computers) but file/drive share does not

Any and all help welcome very much.

Thank You,
    RH

:)

therh, Jan 7, 2016

2. Printer sharing Windows 10 and Windows XP

I have the same problem. I know how to share a file, folder or printer since Win3.1

File sharing is working fine among Windows XP, Windows 7 and Windows 10. Printer sharing is working fine between Windows 7 and Windows 10, but it does not wokr with Windows XP, it must be a Windows 10 issue, please advice on workaround solution.

JimDelgado, Jan 7, 2016
  3. Network computer still shows up even after it was turned off

Hi ,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community. We are sorry for the inconvenience caused.

I see that your network still shows even after turning off.

Please follow the below steps and check if it works,

1. Type Network and internet in the Search bar and then Enter.

2. Select Ethernet and then in that Network and Sharing center.

3. Select Change advanced sharing settings.

4. In File and printer sharing select the Turn off file and printer sharing.

Hope this information is helpful. Please do let us know if you need further assistance, we’ll be glad to assist you.

Anup Karkal, Jan 7, 2016
  4. Printer and File Sharing... half works. Please help.

Hi can you use your printer via WI-FI as that is how I have mine set up and all other OS including smart phones can access it and use it.

hTconeM9user, Jan 7, 2016
  5. therh Win User
    I'm having a problem sharing files, not my printer

therh, Jan 7, 2016
  6. Railtech Win User
    Are you using a Microsoft Account to logon to your Windows 10 machine? If so change your account to a local account. That should solve most of your sharing issue.

Railtech, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Printer and File Sharing... half works. Please help.

1. Printer and File Sharing... half works. Please help. - Similar Threads - Printer File Sharing

2. Printer is not working please help

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Printer is not working please help: Printer is not working please help https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/printer-is-not-working-please-help/54f8ab5b-9629-48fc-a5cb-83dcca1e05d2
  3. Printer is not working please help

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Printer is not working please help: Printer is not working please help https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/printer-is-not-working-please-help/54f8ab5b-9629-48fc-a5cb-83dcca1e05d2
  4. Printer is not working please help

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. Printer help please

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Printer help please: Why is it so hard to do simple things in windows 11 I just want to cancel a print, I have no icon to access this I also can't figure out how to get one, the instructions on how to create the short cut are useless as I can't even find the control panel why does Microsoft...
  6. Printer help please

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Printer help please: Why is it so hard to do simple things in windows 11 I just want to cancel a print, I have no icon to access this I also can't figure out how to get one, the instructions on how to create the short cut are useless as I can't even find the control panel why does Microsoft...
  7. Printer/Print Spooler not working, please help

Printer/Print Spooler not working, please help: Hello,A few days ago, my father asked me to take a look at his computer because it was not letting him print anything. When I went into Settings>Devices>Printers & Scanners everything looked ok until I clicked on the Print Server Properties link and then I got an error...
  8. Printer not working, help please

Printer not working, help please: I cannot get my printer to work. Have tried all the things they recommend switching off and switching off Wi-fi. Taking off the printer and re installing. When I asked to print I have printer error. Have tried various things but still no luck. Thanks...
  9. File and Printer Sharing

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File and Printer Sharing: I've just down a clean install of the latest version of windows 10 v1909, I cannot turn on File and Printer sharing on a private network. I use a NAS and I cannot see it in my network. Any thoughts would be appreciated....
  10. Windows 10 File and Printer Sharing not working

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows 10 File and Printer Sharing not working: Hi All, My Windows 10 is not listening on TCP Port 445 for SMB no matter what. I have to go into the network adaptor setting to disable "File and Printer Sharing" and reenable it for it to work. The issue is whenever I reboot the PC, I have to repeat the same process. I...