Windows 10: Printer failure after Windows 10 update

Discus and support Printer failure after Windows 10 update in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; I'm running Windows 10 Home, Version 1803, on a Dell OptiPlex GX620. My printer is an HP LaserJet 1300 that I've had for years and still works well.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by Artur Püdel, Jul 21, 2018.

1. Printer failure after Windows 10 update

I'm running Windows 10 Home, Version 1803, on a Dell OptiPlex GX620. My printer is an HP LaserJet 1300 that I've had for years and still works well. This is not a printer failure. The printer is connected to COM1 with a USB 3.0 cable. After a recent Windows 10 update, the printer stopped working. It's on, It functions within itself (prints a test page), but it won't accept or even register any commands from the computer (no test pages print).

I deleted the printer driver, rebooted and reinstalled it. Didn't help. I deleted the printer, rebooted and reinstalled it: no luck. The "troubleshooter," of course, is no help. I looked for a new printer driver but there isn't one since the printer's so old. I've searched the web for other people having similar problems recently and haven't found anything yet but there's possibly more out there somewhere.

As far as I'm concerned this is a Windows 10 problem and there's probably some way of configuring things that will get this printer working again. I don't know what that would be. Can any of you folks help? I'd much appreciate any tips you might feel inclined to share. Thanks!

:)

Artur Püdel, Jul 21, 2018

2. Windows 10 update cause printer problem with: "Printer not activated - Error - 20"

Hi John,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community, we appreciate your interest in Windows 10.

I understand your concern about accessing the printer after the Windows Update, we will help you with this issue.

Do let us know the following:

• What is the make and model of your device?
    • How is the printer connected to the computer, locally or through network?
    • Have you tried any troubleshooting steps to resolve this issue?

I suggest you to try the below and check if it helps.

Step 1: I suggest you to update the drivers for printer and check.

• Right click on the Start button from the desktop and select
      Device Manager.

• Locate and expand Print queue.

• Right-click on the printer driver
      that is listed and click Update driver software.

Step 2: I suggest you to run the printer troubleshooter from
    Fix printer problems
    and then check if this fixes the issue.

Hope it helps. Reply to the post with an updated status of this issue and required information, we will be happy to help you further.

Deepika Gowda, Jul 21, 2018
  3. Windows 8 failure configuring updates and reverting

I agree 8 is awful! It's not for me though... I replaced a broken screen in a Win 8 laptop that was given to me and I am going to give it for free to someone that can't afford one so they can do homework at home. Yes I took it from 8 to 8.1 back on 10/09/2014. This is what I posted there...

"Great post! I found a similar one. I would like to point out that you may want to edit your OP...

1. Step 1 should read to disable AUTOMATIC updates, not disable manual updates.

2. KB2871398 should really read KB2871389

I would like to say that KB2917499 may also be needed as it was in my case. I also had to run the Windows Update Troubleshooter after installing those 2 updates. After these steps I was able to begin my 8.1 download from the Microsoft store. I don't know if it made a difference or not, but I also went into the Bios and disabled "Secure Boot."

It was a helpful post. Thanks!

BlackHawk1, Jul 21, 2018
  4. Jan123 Win User

Printer failure after Windows 10 update

Windows 10 Home Won't Print to Remote Printer

I have three computers.
    Machine 1: Windows 10 pro, has the USB Brother HL-5040 printer
    Machine 2: Windows 10 pro, prints OK to the remote printer.
    Machine 3: Windows 10 home, Used to print, but not anymore (THIS IS THE PROBLEM).
    I’ve tried everything that I can think of, and would appreciate any suggestions.
    I did these steps on Machine 3 that did not work.

• Remove the printer device.
    • Add a Printer
    • The printer that I want isn’t listed
    • Select a shared printer by name
    • Browse
    • Select the displayed Machine 1.
    • Select the displayed Printer.
    • Next
    • Failure “Connect to Printer”.
    • Add a printer using a TCP/IP address or Hostname
    • Next
    • Set Hostname to Machine 2, and set port name.
    • Detecting TCP/IP Port
    • Additional Port information required.
    • Device Type – Standard, Brother Port Server
    • Next
    • Detecting the Driver Model
    • Install The Print Driver
    • Select Brother and Brother HL-5040
    • Next
    • Replace the Current Driver
    • Printer Name (setting it to HL-5040)
    • Next
    • Do not share this printer
    • Next
    • You’ve successfully added “HL-5040”
    • Finish
    Printing on Machine 3 puts the document in the print queue, which reports error printing.
    Printing from Machine 2 to the printer on Machine 1 works perfectly.
    All three machines are in the same HomeGroup. Machine 3 can access the shared files from Machine 1.

Jan123, Jul 21, 2018
Thema:

Printer failure after Windows 10 update

1. Printer failure after Windows 10 update - Similar Threads - Printer failure update

2. PC failure after Windows 10 update

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    PC failure after Windows 10 update: Hello everybody , my PC has almost 5 years till now it worked very well . A few weeks ago my PC automatically updated windows before it turned off , next day when i pressed the power button the PC started and loaded like always but when it logged in strange things started to...
  3. system failure windows 10 after update

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    system failure windows 10 after update: BSOD, COMPUTER WON'T BOOT UP, ERROR CODE b10HD1, says hard drives won't connect memory passed.I need some help on this, email me so I don't have to keep going to neighbors and can check on phone...
  4. Brother printer failure after June Microsoft updates.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Brother printer failure after June Microsoft updates.: After June updates my Brother printer does not work. It is reported that this is a common problem. I believe Microsoft is working to solve this. An initial update to solve it did not work. Is there another update available ?...
  5. Printer issue after Windows 10 update

Printer issue after Windows 10 update: My printer won't work after a Windows 10 update recently. Any suggestions? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/printer-issue-after-windows-10-update/e6acd196-d20b-464a-bcae-90675b3c0ae0
  6. Keyboard failure after windows 10 update

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Keyboard failure after windows 10 update: Lenovo flex 4-1580 updated windows 10 but after restarting the keyboard and touch-pad stopped functioning. I tried to restore the previous version but got a message that 10 days have passed and therefore can not. How can I solve this without loosing the installed apps in the...
  7. Printer failure

Printer failure: A few weeks ago my Samsung Xpress M2026 laser printer stopped working with my Hp pc All the diagnostics, drivers, cables etc. are in order but nothing happens after a test page or job is sent and it is not shown in the print queue. The printer is fine with my Hp laptop, both...
  8. WINDOWS FAILURE AFTER UPDATE

WINDOWS FAILURE AFTER UPDATE: I UPDATED MY PC TO THE 2004 UPDATE FOR SLOW INSIDERS AND AFTER A WEEK MY PC TAKES UNUSUALLY LONG TIME TO BOOT. AFTER THAT INSTEAD OF SHOW THE LOGIN WINDOW IT SAYS THAT MY INSIDER BUILD HAS RUN INTO A PROBLEM AND NEEDS TO RESTART. I TRIED CHKDSK AND OTHER THINGS TOO. THE...
  9. Critical Failurer after updating windows 10

Critical Failurer after updating windows 10: Hi, I hope someone can help. I am currently on windows 10 build 1803. I keep have a message to say my system is missing important updates, which fail when trying to download so I have to do a repair with downloading latest updates to get them to work. However, the...
  10. windows 10 failure after update

windows 10 failure after update: aofter the latest update of Windows 10 my Toshiba Sattelie will not go past the wallpaper screen. No program icons. Office Depot says that Windows 10 needs to be reinstalled. Any other suggestions....

Users found this page by searching for:

1. dell optiplex 620 pc desktop - customized