Windows 10: Printer goes offline

Discus and support Printer goes offline in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hello, My HP office jet pro 251 DW goes offline at random times. I reset the router and it is OK for several days. This printer is shared on a local... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Frank C, Jul 20, 2016.

1. Frank C Win User

Printer goes offline

Hello,
    My HP office jet pro 251 DW goes offline at random times.
    I reset the router and it is OK for several days. This printer is shared on a local network and it is connected to the router LAN # 2 connection. Printer properties shows the IP to be 192.168.1.5. I don't see this address in Netstat.
    Is there a way to determine if this is a static or dynamic address? I think I might be better off with a static address.
    Thanks

Windows 10
    HP Envy 700-414

:)

Frank C, Jul 20, 2016

2. Printer goes offline when PC goes into sleep mode

Printer goes offline when PC (64 bit) goes to sleep and remains offline until I reload printer driver from Epson. This is a windows 10 problem. My windows updates are complete.

Anyone know of a Fix please?John

JohnHardaker, Jul 20, 2016
  3. after latest windows 10 update, I cannot even print offline, also it says is preview loading, but it does not

printer spooler is auto, then tried removing device, but it says remove failed. The printer is in offline and it goes to the printerm but does not print but disappears

lynnkunnick, Jul 20, 2016
  4. Frank C Win User

Printer goes offline

additional information
    The address assigned to the printer, 192.168.1.5 is shown as belonging to another computer (Charlotte) on the local network.
    See Netstat below

Printer goes offline [​IMG]

Netstat:

The D7260 printer no longer exists. I will try to delete this assignment from the router

Frank C, Jul 20, 2016
  5. EdTittel Win User
    You probably need to figure out which server is providing DHCP for your machines (and I mean that in the metaphorical sense, because it's probably a router or other boundary device that's doing the job). You need to figure out how to do a static IP address assignment for your printers, because if renumbering occurs (and it will, periodically as leases come and go and address assignments shift around) it will mess things up. Assigning them a static IP will prevent that from happening and keep your printers available when and as you need them.
    HTH,
    --Ed--

PS: if you can figure out which device is handling DHCP resolution (ipconfig /all will tell you its IP address, but you may have to figure things out from there. In my case, it's the first address on my private Class C IP network, 192.168.0.1) you can look up the UI manual, and it will tell you how to configure static IPs.

EdTittel, Jul 20, 2016
  6. Frank C Win User
    Thanks Ed,
    I found some clear advice here:

"Set a static IP address in Windows for the LAN
    Set a static IP address in Windows for the LAN | PCsteps.com"

I followed the steps and assigned 192.168.1.5 to the printer.
    It seems to be working for all computers on the local network.
    I'll see if it remains online for an extended time period.
    I need to change computer "Charlotte" from 192.168.1.5 to 192.168.1.7

Frank C, Jul 21, 2016
  7. linw Win User
    You really need to go a bit further with this. You need to limit the router's DHCP server range of addresses it hands out so you can't get the IP address clashes you are seeing.

In my case I restrict the DHCP range to top out at .100 and I set fixed addresses to .200 and above. This way everyone plays nice.

If you really can't fix the DHCP range, DON'T set the fixed addresses down low as this is asking for trouble. For example, set the printer to 192.168.1.200. The odds of getting clashes then will be very low, then.

8. EdTittel Win User

Printer goes offline

Good advice, linw. I should have mentioned the value of proper IP address planning and allocation in my reply. Thanks for "addressing" that topic. Haw!
    --Ed--

EdTittel, Jul 21, 2016
  9. Hello Frank,

You can try removing and reinstalling the printer software, direct download from HP.

Your system specs not showing which operation system your running (32-bit or 64-bit.)
    http://h20564.www2.hp.com/hpsc/swd/p...&lang=en&cc=us

Check in Device Manager for driver issues.

What can I do to troubleshoot network and scanner issues?
    HP Officejet Pro 251dw, 276dw Printers - Wireless Printer Setup (Windows) | HP® Customer Support

Try running HP Print and Scan Doctor:
    HP Printers - Using HP Print and Scan Doctor (Windows) | HP® Customer Support

Hope this helps,
    John

AmericanPharaoh, Jul 21, 2016
  10. bro67 Win User
    Also give your printer a Static IP, do not let it get one from the Router. My guess is that your router is going into "Green Mode/Eco Saver" for that IP/MAC when the printer goes into standby.

bro67, Jul 21, 2016
  11. Frank C Win User
    Thanks all for the help.

I set the IPv4 address to 192.168.1.200
    ipconfig shows it as 192.168.1.200
    The printer still shows 192.168.1.5
    What did I do wrong?

Frank C, Jul 21, 2016
  12. linw Win User
    You changed the computer address to .200 NOT the printer. I advised you to change the printer to .200.

But don't leave the computer at .200 AND change the printer to .200!! Let the comps pick up their IP addresses from the DHCP server but give fixed addresses to 'infrastructure' devices like printers, routers etc.

Please re-read my post.

13. Frank C Win User

Printer goes offline

LinW,
    I put the IP address back to 182.168.1.8 I think that is what it was.
    Apparently following the instructions here:
    "Set a static IP address in Windows for the LAN
    Set a static IP address in Windows for the LAN | PCsteps.com"
    was incorrect.

I did re-read your post. I really don't understand DHCP server
    What are the correct steps to change the printer IP to 192.168.1.200?
    Thanks
    amp

Frank C, Jul 22, 2016
  14. bro67 Win User
    bro67, Jul 22, 2016
  15. Frank C Win User
    Bor67,
    I don't see the malware infection that you referred to. Can you be more specific?
    Thanks

Frank C, Jul 22, 2016
Thema:

Printer goes offline

1. Printer goes offline - Similar Threads - Printer goes offline

2. printer goes offline everytime laptop enters sleep

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    printer goes offline everytime laptop enters sleep: My HP printer goes offline every time the laptop enters sleep mode. I've run the HP Print & Scan Doctor any number of times and restarted the laptop as instructed. Sometimes it works to let me print one time - and then goes offline again. More annoying - in my Settings I...
  3. Printer always goes "offline" Microsoft 10 issue

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Printer always goes "offline" Microsoft 10 issue: Why is this happening?? Brothers Printer MFC-L5850DW goes offline multiple times per day, everyday. Cannot be a printer error bcs it was happening with my HP also...
  4. PRINTER OFFLINE

PRINTER OFFLINE: I can't seem to change the status of my printer to online Help please https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/printer-offline/7b20d0fe-7e97-4999-a0f2-7503a48bfbab
  5. offline printer

offline printer: How do I get rid of offline printer error? Using Windows 10 JAP and HP Coloe Laser JEt CP2025 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/offline-printer/d48ea916-f95d-4a19-a8a9-47e3e5e886f0
  6. The printer automatically goes to offline and disconnected.

The printer automatically goes to offline and disconnected.: Hi, A HP printer automatically goes to offline and disconnected. The printer is connected with a Windows 10 Home laptop. I did.. Printer reset. Printer power cycle. Replaced printer cable for connecting with laptop. Plugged to another USB port of the laptop. Uninstalled...
  7. brother mfc-j470dw printer goes offline

brother mfc-j470dw printer goes offline: my brother mfc-j470dw works fine from IOS devices I own, but recurrently goes to "offline" status and will not print. any idea why. this has happened a lot with windows 10, but may have started before that. I can fix it by removing and reloaoding but that is a pain in the...
  8. Printer "Offline"

Printer "Offline": Trying to print but printer queue shows printer "offline". Why can't I connect?? Help!! https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/printer-offline/eef61e54-f4e7-47cb-abc8-4fe7a980a178
  9. Printer offline

Printer offline: Printer is offline and I can't get it back online. Went to settings and printer, and selected print offline. It didn't change to online. Any suggestions? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-hardware/printer-offline/1a7645c6-c5cd-4e1c-a484-ccc2231dabf8
  10. printer offline

printer offline: 1. how do I make my printer online w windows 10?? usb plugged in and wont print. 2. I want wireless but was on hours last night w no luck. please help tutorial for 5...